You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 04:42:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: SR5 idea I'm playing with  (Read 447 times)

Offline AndyZTopic starter

SR5 idea I'm playing with
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
I had this idea about Shadowrun that I'm tossing out as an interesting idea.  It seems like it can be difficult to get people willing to run.

So, what if you had two groups of shadowrunners, and each group used a rotating GM from the other group?

For example, group one has A, B, C, D, and E, and group two has N, O, P, Q and R.  Group two starts with A running them a mission, then B, then C, and so on.  Group one starts with N running a mission, then O, and so on.

Trying to do this with only one group, you'd always have one person out, but if you have two, you don't have to worry about the missing person.

The issue with this is that it requires a lot of people.  If we get enough interested and focused people, though, I think it could work really well.

Dunno if forums or via the voice chat would be better.

Offline Ebb

Re: SR5 idea I'm playing with
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
While I think this is an interesting idea, my experience on Elliquiy tells me that you're unlikely to get through a single mission, much less rotating through five of them. I think the thing to do is to figure out why previous Shadowrun games have not persisted by talking to the people involved.

My guess, though I'll admit this is only a guess, is that Shadowrun is mechanics-heavy enough that the actual process of play once the mechanics come in is pretty slow. Lots of die rolling, lots of back-and-forth decision making, and a strict initiative system which has life-or-death consequences if you violate it. These things seem to me to make a hard fit for forum-based play. I suspect you'd have more luck with voice chat.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
My experience with Shadowrun online is a little different, Ebb. 

Contested dice rolls are a pain on bulletin boards--and the shadowrun mechanic is based on them.

Every time I've run or played, the out of character group cohesion falls apart during the 'leg work' phase. A more 'action packed' game might be more successful. 

Offline Blinkin

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
I would have to agree about the legwork thing in forum baed Shadowrun games. Every time I've tried to play in one, it gets bogged down during the leg work and so it never gets to the mission. There is usually a serious lack of unit cohesion to deal with to as everyone doesn't know anyone in the group and everyone is, as a matter of course as it's part of the game, distrust everyne else, so... there isn't a chance for the game to develop unit cohesion before it starts to fall apart.

Perhaps starting off with an encounter that forces the playes to bond together in a fast and furious fasion at the outset... and some way to reduce the amount of mechanics that have to take place.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
Makes me wonder if something like Fresh Meat from the 20A book would work a lot better.  Sort of a Real World type thing for Runners and getting amnesty as part of the deal.  That may not be what that writeup actually was, but it's been a while.

Offline Ebb

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
I don't know that adventure, but it sounds promising.

There's an RPG out called "Leverage", based on the TV show. One of the options for running that game is to start the missions right in the thick of it, with no in-character preparation. Then as events come up which would benefit from having been prepped for, you can play little flashback scenes to show how the team got ready for it. So for instance you're found by a security guard who's hand is on the alarm panel, ready to push it. Then you cut to a little scene where you show the team following this guy around and getting photos of him cheating on his wife, then confronting him with the blackmail evidence. Cut back to the present time to show the security guard removing his hand from the panel, turning his back to the team, and jerking a thumb in the direction of the vault.

Just a thought, but it might cut down on the whole "let's discuss every possible contingency and then go shopping for two weeks" part of the mission. While still giving the non-combat-monsters a chance to shine and use their skills.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
It's not so much an adventure as four pages of intro in the 20A book.  I'm probably misremembering what it was all even about.

That does sound like a much better way of handling prepwork, though, especially in a forum capacity.

Offline Blinkin

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:41:11 AM »
What I meant by dropping them into something off the bat was pretty much dumping them into comabt off of the bat. Say that they are meeting Mr. Johnson at a dive to hear about the job, while they're talking (As they seem to always do), right in the middle of things, drop a biker gang who's looking for a fight and let the furr fly. Put all of them into a situation that requires them to work together immediately.

Prep work is good, I just tend to think that too much time is spent on trying to come up with a perfect plan (and everyone thinking that their plan is the one to be used) and then shopping for the stuff to pull it off, doing the intell gathering and so on that bogs things down so badly.

Perhaps as a compromise, let them go out and ask their questions, so that the role-playing part is being filled, but do the results in an info-dump post rather than all of the individual post. If they want to buy stuff, gather a shopping list and say it's been bought for this much and move on.

A lot of games also suffer from the "wait and see Syndrome." Everyone wants to wait and see what everyone else is going to do and so, things grind a bit. Perhaps woring out the overall plan and what each person will do, in broad terms, until the actual furr hits the fan, then you're out of the whole prep and sneak phase with some nice descriptive and role-playing tossed in.