News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Zero Gravity and Its Effects on the Human Body

Started by Inkidu, April 12, 2014, 09:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

So, I've hit the next hurdle in the science-fiction novel I'm planning. In keeping it as near-future as possible I decided that humans had not managed to work  out gravity generation. This means when moving about a spaceship they do so by kind of floating. There are magnets in their boots so they can kind of anchor themselves in case of a emergency but mostly you pull yourself about like they did on the Gemini and Apollo missions.

Well, this comes at certain concerns. Bone-density loss and other issues. I know about all the nasty conditions that could develop so I was wondering what devices, treatments, or methods could be employed to counteract living in a zero-G environment?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on April 12, 2014, 09:15:46 PM
I know that on the ISS, they have a special exercise module. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Operational_Load_Bearing_External_Resistance_Treadmill
That could work. I also wondered about the effects of isometric exercises.

I'm thinking that the spaceships are on the small side. An average American aircraft carrier is bigger than the biggest spaceship.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RedTronic

The ships that are being used could generate their won gravity.  Even low gravity environments provide a substantial defense against muscle and bone loss compared to Zero-G.  The easiest means to do this would be having a portion of the ship constantly rotating, especially if this is the living quarters.  I personally like the idea of a central stationary "engine" around which the living portions revolve, and thus simulate gravity, although there are a variety of different options available. 

If your ships are never going to enter atmosphere, or have a much smaller shuttle with which to do that, your options for design are limitless-- as a rocket shaped craft would travel in the same manner some silly looking triangle-shaped ring formation hodgepodge monstrosity would.

Otherwise, if you allow yourself to play around with possible biomedical advances, you could have injections or other such means of retaining bodily mass-- at least for the short term.

Oniya

Red, could you please not re-title threads that you didn't start?  It can make things very confusing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

If I wanted them to walk on walls I'd use the rotation method. In general there are two things that prevent the loss of muscle mass. A exercising the muscles and protein. So if they have a way to exercise on the mid to large range craft I think that'd cover it. I want to stay away from any beyond-the-near future biomed stuff. I didn't find anything theoretical in my search so I'm loathe just to wave the hand and make it so. 

EDIT: Anyone know or have any theories on how a G-suit would work?

MikeandIke

Quote from: Inkidu on April 12, 2014, 10:24:59 PM
If I wanted them to walk on walls I'd use the rotation method. In general there are two things that prevent the loss of muscle mass. A exercising the muscles and protein. So if they have a way to exercise on the mid to large range craft I think that'd cover it. I want to stay away from any beyond-the-near future biomed stuff. I didn't find anything theoretical in my search so I'm loathe just to wave the hand and make it so. 

EDIT: Anyone know or have any theories on how a G-suit would work?

Current G-suits are worn more for g-forces and to prevent blood from pooling in the feet, thus rendering a pilot unconscious. They basically use pressurized air to press on the body, squeezing the blood from pooling.

I suppose, you could create something similar?? But, in my opinion it seems a bit far out for near-future sci-fi. If you've ruled out the rotation to simulate gravity, I'd go with a healthy dose of exercise and a good diet. Hits the 'Makes sense' mark for me since that's already being done, and you don't have to go into too much detail (Unless you want that)
Ons and Offs & The Seven Sins of Role Playing (Updated 1/14/14)

KCCO Chivers ;)

vtboy

Construct clothing out of elastic materials, so that modest exertion is required whenever an arm or a leg is extended, or the back is straightened. The effect would be something like exercising with resistance bands. Either muscles get toned or the wearer is consigned to permanent fetal posture.

Inkidu

Well, there is that electric pulse method too. I used to use that one. I think I've got enough. I'm trying to figure out how to stop bone density loss though.