Historical Quotes Game.

Started by Inkidu, August 27, 2008, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

They can't be from movies. Oh no. Nope history only. Anonymous quotes can be used. Tricky eh?

Lets start her off easy.

It is entirely seemly to see a boy lying mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things seem fair.

Say who said it what book it's from. Or if it's a proverb. Name the national origin. Turkish proverb, Native American Saying etc.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paradox

(Are we supposed to guess who said it?)

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

(Is that not obvious enough, oops. Yes by the way.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dawg

How about (the game already exists) /*looks up and whistles*/ -> https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11277.0
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

Quote from: Dawg on August 27, 2008, 09:24:42 AM
How about (the game already exists) /*looks up and whistles*/ -> https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11277.0

Yeah but Inkedu said no movie/media quotes, so this one may go down a different path.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Dawg

Quote from: Paradox on August 27, 2008, 09:26:07 AM
Yeah but Inkedu said no movie/media quotes, so this one may go down a different path.

Cool
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

Paradox said it. If you've got to look it up I don't care. Maybe you'll learn something.

Edit

jstarz

Quote from: Inkedu on August 27, 2008, 09:17:36 AM
They can't be from movies. Oh no. Nope history only. Anonymous quotes can be used. Tricky eh?

Lets start her off easy.

It is entirely seemly to see a boy lying mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things seem fair.

Say who said it what book it's from. Or if it's a proverb. Name the national origin. Turkish proverb, Native American Saying etc.

Greek, Homer, the Iliad.

ok here's the next one, "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Paradox

Steve Wozniak!

"My advice to you is to marry. If you find a good wife, you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher....and that is a good thing for any man."

Inkidu

Socrates. Yes I think its Socrates.

Paradox

Inkidu

"You'll get farther with a kind word and a gun, than you will with just a kind word."

Inkidu

Dawg

Al Capone

Next Quote

Quote from: ?The better part of valor is discretion, in the which better part I have saved my life.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

jstarz

Shakespeare, Henry IV Part 1

I don't know much about Angola, but I know one thing, they're in a lot of trouble.

Aiden

Charles Barkley

"I heard the bullets whistle and, believe me, there is something charming to the sound of bullets."

Dawg

George Washington - Battle of the Wilderness

Next Quote

Quote from: ?If the condition of man is to be progressively ameliorated, as we fondly hope and believe, education is to be the chief instrument in effecting it.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

Dawg

Quote from: Inkidu on September 12, 2008, 10:15:57 AM
Thomas Jefferson?

Are you sure?  Sounds like you ae questioning yourself
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

Yeah, but I could always look it up if I'm wrong.

Dawg

Quote from: Inkidu on September 12, 2008, 10:22:00 AM
Yeah, but I could always look it up if I'm wrong.

your correct, go ahead
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

You can't change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails. (This one's tricky. ^~^)

Idej

Idej

If that is so, then here is my quote.

This should be easy

"There are seven emotions:  joy, anger, anxiety, love, grief, fear, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient...  I have practiced patience."

Inkidu