I just thought I'd make this thread now that we've finished season 4. (I am sad.)
My top 3 favourite characters in the series.
1. Rick Grimes: I guess this is a bit of an obvious and unoriginal choice. However, no other character in the series has anywhere near as much depth as Rick does, obviously, this comes as a given for being the 'main character'. It's easy to feel empathy toward a character that feels as alive as Rick does.
2. Carol Peletier: Speaking of depth, I would say that from the crew after Rick, Carol would easily be the next one. She has grown as a character through the series, and took it upon herself to make the hard decisions when Rick wouldn't.
3. Daryl Dixon: I'll be surprised to see a list by anyone without Daryl in it. I don't think Daryl was ever supposed to survive this long, but he has deservedly become the fan favourite with his antics, though his recent, short-lived alliance with the marauders ended up not contributing much to the story. I think it was already clear where his loyalties are.
Honorable mention: Glenn Rhee. I said Rick is the one I feel the most empathy toward, but I find Glenn to be the one I can relate to most.
1. The Governor: Another obvious choice. No one else has the same kind of presence. No other bad guy has similar depth. The only chink in his armour comes in the shape of killing Hershel. Whatever the reason for getting rid of Hershel was, it should have been done by someone else. The way Governor killed Hershel was out of character, in my opinion. Still, The Governor faces no competition here.
2. Lizzie: While technically not a baddie, rather a sick puppy, what she did took me by surprise and shocked me. If a character manages to do that, it's a job well done.
3. Shane: I hated this guy with a passion, more than I hated Merle. It was a tough choice between the two, but I figured a villain is successful when he makes me hate him.
Favorite New arrival(Season 4)
It has to be between Eugene Porter and Tara. Though Tara has made a bigger impact in the show so far, she's spent the second half of the season moping around, Eugene in the other hand, has offered mainly comic relief. Though, comic relief is sort of refreshing in the murky world of the Walking Dead. I will go with Eugene here, and Tara as a close second.
Also, I'll give you a character I dislike: Carl. Carl just generally makes absolutely no sense. I just can't get my head around the character.
So that's my list, what's yours?