SinglePrevious (Or current) Profession:
Was a factory worker and Whatever minimum wage job he could find on the side, but currently unemployed and considering returning to pick pocketing/theft to make ends meet.
Dark brown, curly, generally unruly and hangs around his eyes in length.Eyes:
Large and a pale grey/blue.Skin:
A tired, scrawny looking young man. He has a little bit of a baby-face but looks tired beyond his years thanks to struggling with insomnia. He’s active enough that he might be in decent shape if he ate better, but as it stands he’s skinny as a rail and his choice to wear worn, oversized clothing a majority of the time doesn’t help his appearance. He cleans up well when he puts in the effort, but most of the time it’s easy to tell he’s from the rough side of town. Vance has a habit of trying to mask his emotions and thoughts, though anyone paying close attention can usually pick up on small tells or read his expressive eyes. He has no particularly distinguishing marks.
Vance is a pessimist who believes that pretty much the entirety of the human race is irreparably flawed. He pretty much believes everybody is selfish, has their own agenda, and will inevitably hurt someone no matter how “nice” or kind they try to be. Vance does not exclude himself from this assessment, and acknowledges that with his history he’s pretty low on the scale of morality. He has low self esteem, and pretty much has given himself as a lost cause so he rarely does himself the kindness of doing something he wants to do or thinking of his own needs. He cuts his own corners far before cutting any others, which leads to a meager diet and long work hours with little levity.
Vance isn’t great at expressing himself so he tends to purposely aggravate people with bluntness and speaking in as few words as possible. He can be a real little shit when he wants to. This keeps their reactions to what fits his worldview and he doesn’t run the risk of intimacy which scares him. Ha can be curt and callous, but deep down is still kind of the kid who grew up too fast and will sulk when he doesn’t get his way but take secret joy in the small things. If you can get past his intense distrust, there’s a real person beneath his shell.
However, one of the most important things in Vance’s life is his brother, Ryan. Vance is devoted to him wholly, and would die (or kill) for his safety and happiness. Vance has given up on achieving his own happiness and feels he doesn’t deserve it, so he’s made himself a tool for his family’s happiness and success. This has made him one of the hardest workers ever, and you will rarely hear a peep of complaint if he thinks his suffering and energy is going towards this purpose.Background:
Vance was the result of an unwanted teenage pregnancy, one that had his mother kicked out of her home and set him up for a life of struggles. He was raised by his mother alone, who struggled to get enough money for herself and Vance, and it only got worse when she became pregnant again when Vance was five and gave birth to his younger brother. The event seemed to trigger a relapse for his mother who struggled with a drug and alcohol addiction and made their living situation worse. Vance didn’t enter school until he was six, and by the time he was nine he was cutting it constantly in an attempt to bring in some money himself.
Vance quickly latched onto his little brother as his source of hope and motivation. He had a low opinion of himself and very little respect for his mother, but his brother could do no wrong. Vance practically killed himself every day to get money. His experiences with his mother kept him out of all but the very fringes of the drug dealings that happened in the projects. This left an unemployable pre-teen with pretty much only one option for money, theft. What started out as simple purse snatching and shoplifting eventually got more skilled and Vance gained some ability in pick-pocketing. He was however, arrested twice, and on his way to juvie if he messed up again. He was pretty much the adult in the house at the point, doing everything from cooking to grocery shopping to cleaning as his mother remained drunk or high or both. However, as soon as he was old enough to look for work (or at least looked old enough to lie about his age to look for work) he started picking up odd jobs and eventually landed himself a job at a factory.
This stabilized Vance’s life quite a bit, and for quite a few years life was “good,” or at least better than it had been before. His brother Ryan was excelling in school and though their mother was just as out of touch it effected their lives less once Vance got a steady income. Years of putting too much importance and stress on himself had left Vance with troubling bouts of insomnia where he can’t seem to get to sleep without feeling guilty. He was familiar with quite a bit of the city as a kid trying to make money any way he could and so when he runs out of chores to do he’s taken to exploring the city again and finding places to indulge his love of climbing and exercise.
Recently however, due to falling profits and the unstable economy, Vance had to be cut from his long-standing job. Things have gotten desperate especially since Ryan is in his first year of high-school which takes far more time and money than earlier grades. Vance has burnt through what little savings he had managed to keep away from his mother’s addicted fingers and he’s begun shoplifting again to help with paying for groceries. He and his younger brother both received a free flu vaccine at one of the grocery stores (Vance can’t afford to get sick and he’d do anything to prevent Ryan from suffering.) Vance got sick and has just gotten over it, unknowingly becoming a Deviant in the process. His younger brother got sick later, and is currently sick at home though whether he’s received one of the altered doses of the vaccine is not clear yet. Vance isn’t quite aware of his new abilities yet, being rather subtle and requiring concentration to truly activate, but he’s begun sensing something’s strange and has been suffering from constant migraines for the past week.Symptoms:
Dousing (see symptoms listing for more details)
SL 1 - Bond is tenuous. The Devi gets a general sense of where their target is located, but it is vague, a tug in a certain direction and a 'hotter' 'colder' feeling as they track.Hobbies and Interests: MUSIC
– Vance loves classical music desperately, though rarely allows himself to indulge. He has an extremely precise ear and significant talent, but since he’s never been able to nurture it, it’s grown to nothing but a snobbish ability to tell when someone’s off key and some small ability to play the open piano at music shops. He also has mild synesthesia which helps him recall music with extreme clarity.ANIMALS
– Vance may consider people to be inherently flawed, but animals are purer and less scary to him. He owns no pets but will happily interact with animals he runs into on the street. He honestly prefers animals over people (save for his brother.)EXPLORING/CLIMBING
– Vance’s restless nature and wanderlust he can’t indulge in without abandoning his family means he enjoys exploring the city and has made it a challenge to see how many obscure/hard to reach places he can finagle his way into. He’s definitely not at a parkour level but someone with no experience will find him slippery to catch up with if he can make use of this skill.DOMESTIC SKILLS
– Not exactly a hobby, but he’s done pretty much all of chores for his home since he was eight or nine, and so he’s a decent cook and cleans things thoroughly. He’ll retreat into doing small chores when he feels restless and often feels guilty if he’s not actively doing something. There’s ALWAYS something that needs doing.PLAYING CARDS
– Really, it’s his brother Ryan who likes playing cards but with only Vance to play with, it’s rubbed off a bit on him too. He knows quite a few to keep entertained with if he even needs it.RUNNING AND HIDING
– Well, a youth of stealing and pick pocketing gets you some skills even if Vance can barely read…SLIGHT OF HAND
– Shoplifting and pick pocketing mostly, but with his inherent distrust of people Vance likes being able to hide things from them and misdirect them, so he can manage a few slight of hand tricks. This doesn’t overlap with his playing cards ability, so no worries about cheating card-games (he never gambles anyways.)OOC Ons and Offs:
Vance is demisexual homoromantic which means he's attracted to guys but only once he's gotten to know them. Otherwise look at my O&O
(broader and more general) and Roleplay Preferences