You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Are there still Outsiders fans out there?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Styx26

• Sword-wielding Hero Aspirant... Writing, Always Writing. Nicholas' Hero, Occasional Bartender, Wolfling's Padawan
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Tired of being afraid of making mistakes.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Are there still Outsiders fans out there?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »
That's an interesting take on Catcher. It's been over a decade since I've read it, but I honestly don't remember thinking it was satirical. I got more of a tormented internal struggle vibe from the book. He's constantly criticizing the phoniness of others, but he's at least as guilty as any other character in being phony. He was a scared kid trying to fit in, and I didn't read that as an allegory on anti-conventionalism. Either way, I think think the proto-hipster moniker still fits.

I believe that you nailed that review of Catcher, cptBacon.

I saw the movie 'The Outsiders' when I was in junior high. That, and 'Grease' made me want to be a greaser. I read the book years later- I have to say the movie was pretty accurate. It made me read 'Rumble Fish' and a few others of S.E. Hinton's books.

Offline joaniedark

Re: Are there still Outsiders fans out there?
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
The Outsiders was an amazing book, and I still quote it to this day. One of the most memorable books we read in school.

Never got to read Catcher in the Rye, unfortunately. But I think our curriculum made up for it--my school seemed to have some weird hard-on for speculative fiction and sci-fi, so a lot of our reading got to be short stories about robots gaining humanity and the like. Interesting stuff for tiny existential crises in preteen form to read.