You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 02:31:36 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This thread is about the Old School Renaissance (D&D retroclones)  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Chris Brady

Re: This thread is about the Old School Renaissance (D&D retroclones) (WIP)
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
Since it's free, and I don't want to misrepresent it, I'll post a Google Docs link to it here.

That...  Has got to be the most odious explanation of anything I've had to force myself to read.  It smacks of elitism.  And ironically, is on NOT 'Old School' it's funny.

Offline SkynetTopic starter

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »

This constant whining about how it was 'so much better back in the day' is more of people's fond remembrance for heavily modified and house-ruled version of their favourite editions that they played oh so long ago back in their youth.  Now wanting to recapture, or emulate such experiences is fine, it's great.  And the fact that these visions of these experiences are coming of talented and dedicated hobbyist designers is AWESOME!  I love it.  But 'Old School' it's not and I really wish people would let it go calling it that.  It creates camps, cliques and tribes, which fosters hostility within the hobby.

Yes, I get it, it fosters an 'Us vs. Them' mentality that a lot of us older geeks remember back in our youth, back when being a nerd/geek was the social club that every other 'popular' club shoved the unwanted into.  I get it, I was there, I was one.  But it's time to realize that gaming is both a life long and sharing experience.  Best done with friends, no matter what their tastes are.  It's here to be done in a group.

Sorry, I needed to get that out.  I apologize.

I don't think having these D&D Edition/version sub-sub-cultures causes nasty infighting so much as Edition Warriors who continually obsess over how other people play their games.  I have the most experience with Pathfinder, but I don't sit around shaking my fist at 4th Edition gamers on message boards.  I've seen Edition Warriors who talk far more about the editions/playstyles they hate than the ones they love.

But this is getting off-topic.

Wow, thanks Skynet for all the great info and links!

2nd Edition D&D is still my favorite system. There were so many wonderful settings and modules released during that time period. We used to run a 2nd Edition game out of our home, but after 3rd Edition came around it kind of fell apart.

I still grab up old 2nd Edition modules when I can. Ravenloft & Dark Sun being two of my favorites.

You're welcome.  Have you ever tried Hackmaster?  It was a 50/50 cross between a parody RPG of 2nd Edition DnD, and an "open game" variant for old-school gamers who still preferred their editions during the pre-Pathfinder D20 era.  Now it has a "5th Edition," and it's quite different now (it's more serious, for one).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:59:57 PM by Skynet »

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
I don't think having D&D Edition/version  sub-sub-culture causes nasty infighting so much as Edition Warriors who continually obsess over how other people play their games.  I have the most experience with Pathfinder, but I don't sit around shaking my fist at 4th Edition gamers on message boards.  I've seen Edition Warriors who talk far more about the editions/playstyles they hate than the ones they love.

You DON'T I've been in discussions, both here, and on other forums that do.  I don't like it.  I want everyone to have fun.

But this is getting off-topic.

Indeed and I'm stopping now.  And I apologize.  I'm still keeping Scarlet Heroes on my radar.  I'm just too broke to get it yet.

Offline Dovel

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
You're welcome.  Have you ever tried Hackmaster?  It was a 50/50 cross between a parody RPG of 2nd Edition DnD, and an "open game" variant for old-school gamers who still preferred their editions during the pre-Pathfinder D20 era.  Now it has a "5th Edition," and it's quite different now (it's more serious, for one).

No, I never played it. But I used to read about it of course in the Knights of the Dinner Table. ~smiles~

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
I found an online SRD for Swords & Wizardry, and a collection of Open Gaming Content from Labyrinth Lord.

Both RPGs are free, but this can be a good resource for those who can't download them for whatever reason.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
I just prefer reading off a page to reading off a PDF. Thanks!

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
I still think the whole old school renaissance thing was just a way to say "hey guys, totally not 4e over here!" which I don't really fault.

Wow, thanks Skynet for all the great info and links!

2nd Edition D&D is still my favorite system. There were so many wonderful settings and modules released during that time period. We used to run a 2nd Edition game out of our home, but after 3rd Edition came around it kind of fell apart.

I still grab up old 2nd Edition modules when I can. Ravenloft & Dark Sun being two of my favorites.

Fuck yes. *high fives*

edit: Al-Qadim. Al-Qadim for-fucking-ever. Also Planescape.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:47:53 PM by RedPhoenix »

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:20 PM »
I...  Well, remove the game mechanics, and the 4e Dark Sun books are pretty damn good.  They portray the desperation of of a dying world and the potential savagery quite well.  It almost makes up for the retcon that DS 2e brought.

Been forever since I posted here, but Adventures in the East Mark is out.  While in many ways it is standard Basic D&D, artwise it is fantastic, and could be a good way to introduce players to retroclones if that's the kind of thing that appeals to them.

Also, there's a chapter detailing the setting, along with some sandbox adventures, so it's not just a copycat clone.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
I still have all my old 2e books.  This thread makes me happy.

I still have all my old 2e books.  This thread makes me happy.

Oddly enough, the vast majority of retroclones are Basic D&D in its various iterations, Original D&D, or 1st Edition AD&D, in that order.  There's hardly any 2nd Edition retroclones out there, and Pathfinder's pretty much choked out whatever 3E retroclones exist.

Offline Chris Brady

Pathfinder's pretty much choked out whatever 3E retroclones exist.
Were there more than just PFRPG?  Legit question, I'm trying to remember if there was.  I know there are/were more games based on the D20 engine (which is really, roll D20 add 'stuff' at it's most basic.)  FantasyCraft, True20...  I don't recall anything else...

And yeah, I agree with the lack of 2e 'retroclones', although you COULD make an argument that it was pretty similar to 1e, so why would you need a 2e one (although I WOULD LOVE A 2E revival.  But I'd also like some of the tail end books, like the Combat one, specifically.)

Were there more than just PFRPG?  Legit question, I'm trying to remember if there was.  I know there are/were more games based on the D20 engine (which is really, roll D20 add 'stuff' at it's most basic.)  FantasyCraft, True20...  I don't recall anything else...

Castles & Crusades was a 1st/3rd Edition retroclone which tried to emulate old-school gaming while drawing from 3rd Edition constructs.

Offline Chris Brady

I wouldn't call C&C a 3e clone, though.  It hews much, much, much more closely to the 1e playstyle and systems.  Just being additive as opposed to using THAC0 or some other matrix doesn't make it 3e to me.

Adventures in the East Mark has a 55 page set of Quick Start Rules, available on a Pay What You Want basis on Drive-Thru RPG.

In case you want to get a taste of it before buying the whole thing.

Offline Chris Brady

Thanks, Skynet.

Four days ago OSR Today has launched.  It's intended to be a news site pertaining to the OSR fandom, and will be looking through trends in social media for interesting news and announcements in addition to gathering content from established RPG websites.

It could have potential.

Re: This thread is about the Old School Renaissance (D&D retroclones)
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
I found out that Dwimmermount is out now.

For those not in the know, it was a megadungeon created by James Maliszewski (the Grognardia blogger).  It was developed from his home games and raised a very successful Kickstarter in 2012 before he took the money and ran off with it.  This left Autarch (the publisher and ACKS guys) with the brunt of the project, and now it's out.

Aside from the drama, has anybody checked it out yet?  It's been out for a month now, but I don't know how it stacks up as a good megadungeon.

Online RubySlippers

Re: This thread is about the Old School Renaissance (D&D retroclones)
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
The Basic Fantasy RPG its Fan Supported and FREE (or available cheap from a printing company source).

http://basicfantasy.org/

The 3rd Edition is close to release.