Curiosities of the English Language.

Started by Inkidu, August 16, 2008, 06:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

What a bastardized language it is, and I love it.

You can be disheveled but there is no sheveled.
You can be revolted but not volted. So how'd it happen the first time?
Something can become increasingly more inevitable.
We the people in order to form a more perfect union.
and of course my personal favorite from the Bible, "And Abraham rose early in the morning and sat upon his ass."
I love you English language!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkedu on August 16, 2008, 06:53:14 PM
"And Abraham rose early in the morning and sat upon his ass."
I love you English language!

Har har...I must have missed that one when I was still in the Catholic school system as a young lad. :)

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on August 16, 2008, 07:30:03 PM

Har har...I must have missed that one when I was still in the Catholic school system as a young lad. :)
Do you cringe at the sight of rulers like my dad does?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

No I missed that era thankfully, but my dad could tell some stories about one of those Gestapo nuns with apparently a major-league level pitching arm that could fire an eraser across the room and bean anyone acting up. Makes me think how much stuff has changed over the years, if any teacher tried that today, only thing getting fired would be her.

Caeli

Ah yes, English is such a bastardized language. ^_^ There was a chain letter that circulated the internet about ten years ago, that detailed a long list of such bastardizations and just... very interesting phrases in the English language.

I believe one such was, "There are horseless carriages, but no horseful ones."
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Mathim

Why do they call them 'fingers'? They do not 'fing'.

Then there's plurals. You can have one mouse and two mice, but you can't have one house and two hice, can you? There's a book called Crazy English. It's kinda old but it was pretty funny back in eleventh grade (six or seven years ago.)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).