You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 23, 2016, 05:19:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: d20 Modern Greyhawk idea  (Read 273 times)

Offline greenknightTopic starter

d20 Modern Greyhawk idea
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »
I'm looking for some thoughts on a d20 Modern game that may or may not happen.

My idea is a World of Greyhawk in the future. A couple of things spark this as a viable option. First, the 1983 boxed set was based on the writings of one Pluffet Smedger, the Elder, a professor at the Royal University of Rel Mord, in 998 CY. The 1983 version gives history up to 576 CY and the timeline of the Living Greyhawk campaign, WotC's semi-canon meta-plot, was based on AD-1410 years (so if it were still running, the campaign would be up to 604 CY). So what? The accompanying notes of the TSR designers who "found" Professor Smedger's notes, some hacks named Steve Winter and Allan Hammack ;), state that magic was waning even in his time. So if I push it to 1200s, I think that works. And then there's the iconic strong hero and coverguy, Russel Whitfield, and not only his obvious celestial armor but the blatant Cuthbertine holy symbol he uses as a belt buckle.

I think the general attitude of the world would be one where "the fae" (including elves, orcs, goblinoids and the rest of the nastier humanoids) have either retreated to or driven to the wild places of the world. Reliable guns have become a great equalizer against them in a world magic forgot so completely that some may begin to question whether it ever really existed. Of course, it's d20Modern, so urban fantasy is replacing low fantasy as the genre. But it's still a world of men and dwarves (and gnomes and halflings, of course).

I'm thinking either a pulp-style (pre-)WWII style game where the Axis powers are essentially Iuz allied with the "Shao-Lin Nazis" of the Scarlet Brotherhood or one following the various "exploitation" film tropes of the late 60's and 70's.