You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 07:24:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Forum play of Savage Worlds and D6 Star Wars  (Read 414 times)

Offline greenknightTopic starter

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Forum play of Savage Worlds and D6 Star Wars
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
This post is about playing games where you have multiple dice behaviors to determine a single outcome.

In Savage Worlds, players roll both their normal die and a d6. Both dice explode and you take the better score.

In Star Wars, players roll a number of d6s and one, the force die, explodes. All dice are added to determine the score.

Since the die roller doesn't support these except as separate rolls, I'm curious if any GMs here have had issues with system games using these.

Offline Ebb

Re: Forum play of Savage Worlds and D6 Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »
Although there are other online die rollers that explicitly handle exploding dice, if you want to use Elliquiy's then the easiest thing is probably to just have the player roll a ton of extra dice every time they roll. Then read them in order, using as many additional dice as necessary to do your exploding.

For example, if you're doing Star Wars, and the roll is 3d6 plus an exploding Force die, you could put in 10d6.

If the results are:
Then you only need 1+2+6+3. The "3" is the Force Die, and since it's not a six it doesn't explode. Your total is 12 and you ignore the rest of the dice.
(1,2,6)(3)(4,5,5,2,2,6)

If the results are:
Then your regular dice are still 1+2+6. Your Force die is a 6, so you keep adding more dice from the list until you hit one that isn't 6. In this case 6+6+3. Your final total is 24.
(1,2,6)(6,6,3)(3,2,1,5)

The key here is to just say up front how you're going to read the dice and stick to it. Don't decide after you roll, and don't let the players use different systems. Otherwise you might end up with someone saying "that 6 in the first position, that's my Force Die", or something along those lines.

Online Thufir Hawat

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
This post is about playing games where you have multiple dice behaviors to determine a single outcome.

In Savage Worlds, players roll both their normal die and a d6. Both dice explode and you take the better score.

In Star Wars, players roll a number of d6s and one, the force die, explodes. All dice are added to determine the score.

Since the die roller doesn't support these except as separate rolls, I'm curious if any GMs here have had issues with system games using these.
Maybe I don't understand the question. Are you saying Elliquiy's dice bot doesn't support exploding dice?
If so, you might want to re-read the description of the Extra field, which actually allows you to set exploding dice.

Offline greenknightTopic starter

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
I'm saying it doesn't support multiple types in a single roll (a d8 and a d6, for example) or a single exploding die in a throw of multiples (3d6, only one of which explodes). So a player must make two rolls for every task resolution and in the first case, take the best result, and in the second, add the two rolls together. Has anyone used these systems and have the extra steps been an issue in play?

Online Thufir Hawat

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
I'm saying it doesn't support multiple types in a single roll (a d8 and a d6, for example) or a single exploding die in a throw of multiples (3d6, only one of which explodes). So a player must make two rolls for every task resolution and in the first case, take the best result, and in the second, add the two rolls together. Has anyone used these systems and have the extra steps been an issue in play?
As I suspected, I have misunderstood, then. And yes, this might be an issue, unless you're willing to roll twice every time. But then, there's usually enough time between posts to make any roll, if you're using Savage Worlds.
Personally, I'd designate the leftmost die as the exploding die for d6 system, and disregard any explosions from the other dice.
ThufirHawat rolled: 6d6, extra dice at 6
Example 1:
Result: 1, 3, 2, 2, 6, 5, 4,
Comment from TH: The 5 is disregarded.

Example 2:
Test Roll: ThufirHawat rolled: 6d6, extra dice at 6
Result: 6, 5, 4, 6, 1, 4, 4, 4,
TH: 6 and 5 at the beginning count, but the 1 is removed.
So, that's slightly easier to do.

For Savage Worlds, rolling in Invisible Castle might be preferable. Of course, in Invisible castle, all rolls should be from logged in accounts. Otherwise you can easily remove them ;).

1d12.open(12)+1d6.open(6) → [2,[6, 4]] = (12)
1d12.open(12)+1d6.open(6) → [8,[6, 6, 5]] = (25)
1d12.open(12)+1d6.open(6) → [5,[6, 3]] = (14)
1d12.open(12)+1d6.open(6) → [2,[6, 5]] = (13)
1d12.open(12)+1d6.open(6) → [[12, 6],1] = (19)
Obviously, the actual results, given that we only take highest, are 10, 17, 9, 11 and 18, but that's not a big deal in my book. And it's much more convenient for damage like 2d8+d6+9, which is quite possible in SW with a raise ;D! Granted, this would probably be bad news without any explosions, but that's besides the point.

Well, hope that helps!