Geeky Girl Seeking Fandom Fun

Started by surrealobsession, January 08, 2014, 08:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surrealobsession

I rather like original games, but I have had my fill of them over the years. I am slipping more into fandom, which I have been doing off and on for the past couple of years. As far as roleplaying, I have been doing it for thirteen years in all. I am kind of an old school text player, in that I like lengthier replies (I am not strict on how long, just depends on the post's needs), and third person perspective. I also like plenty of plot and character development. I am happy to go AU or out of canon.

As for what I am looking for, my big one is Harry Potter. But only the adult characters, please, as in Snape, Lupin, Tonks, Kingsley, ect. I have never had much use for playing the kids.

For Marvel, I am a big lover of Loki and could happily do a game with someone interested in playing him. For DC, I would love a Joker or Harley Quinn (lesbian game with my as Poison Ivy).

Science fiction games are fine, but I am more of a Babylon 5 or Stargate girl than a Star Trek or Star Wars one. While I love all four franchises, I have just never played the latter two.

And then there is my most obscure request I always make on sites, and never find anyone interested in: Langley from the X-Files/Lone Gunmen. Yes, that is weird. But I would kill to find it.

Potentially open to other verses. While this is technically not for adult oriented games, I assume they would get adult eventually. But they will not be smut centered, they will be more about plot.

Interested? Let me know. Fingers crossed I will be accepted on the site. :D
HEALING HAS BEEN SLOW, STILL RECOVERING, SORRY! I AM HOPING TO BE BACK SOON...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU GUYS!<3<3

Horror, Science Fiction, Originals and Fandoms...UNDER CONSTRUCTION WITH UPDATE

Jakobos

Hi there!

I love the Harry Potter universe. Secret magic society, endless spells and lore, loads of Latin (and some Hebrew)... it's perfect. My only problem is that I haven't actually read the books in a really long time, so my grasp on the characters has somewhat slipped. Snape: underwhelming bad guy who turns out to be tragically misunderstood and stuff. Lupin: lighthearted mentor figure (or was that Sirius?). Tonks: quirky mentor figure. Kingsley: don't remember him at all. And that's all I got, so a canon RP here wouldn't do extremely well. OCs, on the other hand...

As for Marvel and DC, I haven't gotten around to watching those movie chains yet. Would you say they're worth it?

To science fiction, I say yes. This is probably our best bet. Babylon 5 is something I regret not watching more, but I've seen all fifteen seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis. I can't actually say I have a favorite character, because Jack, Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c are all so amazingly fun. It's no wonder that show lasted ten years. I've also seen about twenty seasons total of Star Trek, so I'm game for anything set in that universe, canon or OC.

Langley: Sorry, can't oblige. I wish I could help you out here.

About me: I entered the roleplay scene in 2012, and took 2013 off, so I'm pretty much new (compared with your years of experience, at least.) I like to post somewhere in the 300 word range at minimum, at least 3-4 paragraphs. My record post had fifty-six paragraphs, but I was kind of showing off there.

Anyway, it's a shame that your interest thread here went so long without attention. I hope we'll be able to make something out of it.

Vill

Evening!

I just want to start out by saying that I've never heard of anyone suggesting, or even personally considered, RPing Langley.....

BUT, IT'S SUCH A COOL IDEA!

"I'll be your huckleberry."

Even if that does not become the game we play, I am still very interested in the sci-fi sources you mentioned. I would even give Harry Potter a whirl. It's been a really long time since I've read the books. As the poster above suggested: OC's could be really interesting. Being a fan of a lot of different fictional settings I've always been prone to creating a series of odd synthesis between genres in my imagination. The magical aspect and the hidden society is very intriguing, but one thing that I never remember seeing is the manipulation of magic through music? (unless I'm slowly losing my memories and my mind.)

I mean, total nerd moment -- I guess the concept is sort of derived from the concept of a bard utilizing magic through music. I always imagined another school somewhere that offered this as an emphasis in their courses. Not even an idea that has to be entertained, though: I just like throwing out quirky ideas. Your call.

I also would be really interested in RPing with all three of us in a thread in whichever genre is chosen. I've always found that three is the lucky number. I mean, Rowling seems to think so.  ;)

Either way, what really made me decide to respond were the expectations in writing style you expressed:

QuoteAs far as roleplaying, I have been doing it for thirteen years in all. I am kind of an old school text player, in that I like lengthier replies (I am not strict on how long, just depends on the post's needs), and third person perspective. I also like plenty of plot and character development. I am happy to go AU or out of canon.

I've been RPing for a similar amount of time and I can identify with these expectations.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers.

Vill

Quote from: surrealobsession on January 08, 2014, 08:18:10 PM
Langley from the X-Files/Lone Gunmen.

I might have misread this. Did you mean you want to be Langley and your partner plays another member of The Lone Gunmen? Either way, I'm still totally down. I'm a bit of an alien conspiracy theory buff myself. I'm hoping someday to put together a game as an FBI agent uncovering some sci-fi government cover up. But, I'm confident in my ability to be any three of The Lone Gunmen, or even the remaining two.

I mean, the game of D&D that Langley puts together when their friend is killed in Vegas -- priceless.

Jakobos

I'm just popping back here to register my agreement that a 3-way OC fandom RP would be the greatest thing ever.

Also, I really like that idea of "magic music." Really like. A deceptive cadence here to disrupt the atmosphere, a chromatic ascension there to levitate an object, and a sforzando power chord to blast it at the enemy's face. And maybe an ascending diminished seventh arpeggio combined with an offset descending augmented seventh arpeggio to finish the job. Good Lord, that last one would sound awful.

Also, hello Vill! Nice to meet you!

Vill

Quote from: Jakobos on January 17, 2014, 12:02:20 AM
A deceptive cadence here to disrupt the atmosphere, a chromatic ascension there to levitate an object, and a sforzando power chord to blast it at the enemy's face. And maybe an ascending diminished seventh arpeggio combined with an offset descending augmented seventh arpeggio to finish the job. Good Lord, that last one would sound awful.

A fellow musician! You probably know more about chord structure than I do: I was originally trained as a percussionist. Did some DCI if you know anything about that?

I really enjoy the challenge of translating the texture and effects of music into the written language. I think the idea could be transcribed (eh, eh??) smoothly into the realm of Harry Potter. You know, finding an instrument that chooses you instead of a wand. Oh man, so cool. This idea could even work as beneficial crutch for my rusty library of knowledge on Rowling's world -- and of the British culture in general. Maybe this school of magic and music is stationed somewhere in North America? It would make role playing an instructor who is a part of a transfer program real convincing. "I love your posh accent. Oh, don't say posh? Condescending? Sorry about that, boss."

The possibilities.

But yes, the three's company option could be money. Would you be interested in playing a musician as well, or a character closer -- but not quite -- cannon?

Jakobos

Wow. DCI? Neat! Which division? (I've done quite a bit of percussion myself, but only freestyle on a drum set, nothing awesome like DCI.)

Surreal, are you interested in this idea? It would work fine either as a minor theme or as a plot focus, and for a two-way or a three-way. I'm totally down for exploring something that departs this far from the canon, but I'm equally fine with sticking near the established universe. Heck, why not both? I've got the free time.

Vill

Jakobos, did we just become best friends?

I marched a Div. 1 corps that folded after 2006. I think it would be cool to do the combination of this far-out-non-canon-being-thrown-into-the-semi-canon-universe idea. That is of course, if Surreal is down. Or we could start a side game if she prefers another route. Which reminds me, before I forget:

Dear Surrealobsession,

I promise I'm not trying to hijack your thread, and am still super down to do whatever your geeky heart desires. I'm all about playing multiple games. I'm at a good spot in my life right now to be able to post like a champ.

Love,
Vill

So, back to our slaughtering of the Harry Potter's cannon content: I say it would be a really cool idea to play some musical professor wizards from North America who have been sent to Hogwarts or whatever. It seems to lend really well to plot development. Why are they there? What is everyone being told they are there for -- is it the real reason they are there? Boom: suspense already. And besides, if there are muggle born wizards... and there are wizards from NOT Britain (the other two schools, I can't remember their names)... it seems rational to conclude that there would be Wizards from America.

We can adjust the time line to fit Surreal's preference of character (assuming this idea does come to fruition) and make our baddies and their bad-dude agendas. Could be awesome.

!!!!!!!

Jakobos

I think we may have done just that, Vill.

Division I? Color me duly impressed. "Did some DCI" doesn't really line up with "Played in a corps on a competitive level with the best in the world." Props to you. That's some serious awesome.

To SurrealObsession: I entertained the idea of switching to PMs so we don't clutter your thread, but decided that doing so would be even more discourteous, especially if you're interested in what we'll be discussing. Still, if/when you return and should you desire it, I'd be more than happy to relegate the irrelevant bits to private messages, and only discuss here what you'll be interested in.

Anyway, back to this plot idea. I love where it's headed.

Dust drifted down from a newly-formed crack in the ceiling, and roaring echoes rumbled through the ancient halls. Sixty eyes were fixed on the culprit as he tried desperately to keep his attention fixed on the soft-headed mallets in his white-knuckled hands. "CLARKE!" a voice shrieked from across the room, shattering the silence. "Yes'm," he mumbled, unwillingly raising his eyes. Her face was livid, and she somehow had managed to cross the length of the room in what felt like less than a second—apparition, perhaps? "Semitones. Repeat what I said about them." "They create a narrow cascading magic dissonance..." "Cantatic dissonance." "Right, yes, cantatic... and should be used only by Sonumancy experts." "Right. So WHY in Godric's name did you think you'd try it out? Hmm? Just for kicks?" No answer returned. Satisfied with her chewing-out for the moment, she turned her attention down to the smoking copper-coated husks that had once been a magnificent pair of timpani. Softer now, she continued, "Clarke... Resolution. If you remember anything, remember that every cantatic dissonance has got to have a resolution. You see what happens if you fail." She motioned upward to the ceiling. The crack wasn't too big a deal; Hogwarts, she heard, could repair itself of minor damages like that in a matter of hours. The timpani, on the other hand... She stiffened as she went on, "We'll discuss discipline later. For now, object lesson is over. Everyone quit staring, get out your textbooks."

Yep. I like where this has the potential to lead.

There's plenty of room for suspense here. Ostensibly the professors would be there for some kind of exchange, teaching electives in Sonumency for anyone who's interested. But underneath the surface...

Well, I have to go now, so I'll just post this and get back to you. I have more to say on plots, I promise.

Vill

Quote from: Jakobos on January 18, 2014, 02:45:10 PM
Division I? Color me duly impressed. "Did some DCI" doesn't really line up with "Played in a corps on a competitive level with the best in the world." Props to you. That's some serious awesome.

Haha, thank you, friend. And, props on that experimental excerpt you wrote. I feel like I could use a lesson or twelve from that professor. You probably know a lot more about pit percussion than I do, I was in the drum line. Someone once told me in jest that I'm real good drummer and a second rate musician.  :P It made me think that my character might be the yin to the yang of yours. That hippie that only wants to drum outside and thinks "feeling it" comes before theory.

A real cool balance of chemistry and synergy could be achieved between these two theoretical characters.

I hope Surrealobession does come back from her short hiatus. The possibility of that alone is enough for me to want to keep our ideas in this thread for a while longer. That, and I'm still waiting for my application to be approved, so I don't think I can receive PM's just yet. If we did move this to another thread I would still want to advertise for a third writer. But, again I think there is a problem in that I believe applicants are restricted from the non-adult group RP section of the forums? Not sure, but I think I remember reading this.

The hidden agenda could be anything from the school of music trying to secretly track down an important artifact rumored to be locked away at Hogwarts. Maybe they were even tipped off by a shadowy third party with a vested interest in turning the two schools against one another in a time of negotiations between the schools. Or, maybe someone sinister at Hogwarts needs that aspect of magic to unlock something that no one else is aware exists on school grounds. Maybe there is something neutral about that form of magic that allows evil doings to go undetected, and a bad guy posing as a student in their final year was the one who organized a petition for Hogwarts to offer those classes (keeping the bad guy and their perceivable disguise over 18, brilliant).

I want to give Surrealobession a little while longer, maybe at least until I get approved? If she ends up remaining M.I.A. we could build a skeleton plot in PM's and find a good third writer with up-to-date knowledge of HP lore to fill the remaining slot. Could even keep her in the dark to take her on a wild ride.

So many possibilities. 

Zephyair

QuoteFor Marvel, I am a big lover of Loki and could happily do a game with someone interested in playing him.

Not sure if you're still interested, but I have quite a bit of experience rping as Loki ((hell I even cosplay Lady Loki)) as well as Thor if you'd like that tossed in. C: I'd love to work something out if you're still interested in something Marvel related.

surrealobsession

Quote from: Zephyair on January 22, 2014, 11:24:44 PM
Not sure if you're still interested, but I have quite a bit of experience rping as Loki ((hell I even cosplay Lady Loki)) as well as Thor if you'd like that tossed in. C: I'd love to work something out if you're still interested in something Marvel related.

I would absolutely LOVE to. I see you are still unapproved, but once you are accepted I would love to get something started. Or on another site, if you are a part of one. Are you on anything else? Blue Moon? RP.me?
HEALING HAS BEEN SLOW, STILL RECOVERING, SORRY! I AM HOPING TO BE BACK SOON...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU GUYS!<3<3

Zephyair

Unfortunately no, I'm not. I've been out of the forum rping loop for a while so I have no idea what sites to join anymore.
...I've noticed that Blue Moon is like a partner site to this one though? I suppose I should give it a good checking out. C:

surrealobsession

Quote from: Zephyair on January 22, 2014, 11:35:07 PM
Unfortunately no, I'm not. I've been out of the forum rping loop for a while so I have no idea what sites to join anymore.
...I've noticed that Blue Moon is like a partner site to this one though? I suppose I should give it a good checking out. C:

You totally should, it is a good site. <snip>. I would love to discuss a storyline. :)

Zephyair

QuoteYou totally should, it is a good site. <snip> I would love to discuss a storyline. :)

Perhaps I will tomorrow, since its pretty late now and I don't think I could do a lot of reading of rules and such a 1 in the morning and expect them to stick. But I will check it out. C: I need more sites since I have a ton more spare time on my hands than I know how to deal with.