Why are purebred dogs more popular then Mutts?

Started by Love And Submission, November 13, 2013, 08:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love And Submission

I've only owned two dogs in my life. One was   a purebred German Shepard  that I had to give away due to temperament issue. The other was a Border-Aussie that lived with me for eleven years. He was one of the most kind and loving dogs I have ever seen.

As a dog lover and owner ,  I can't wrap my head around why Purebreds are more popular then Mutts. Purebreds tend to have  genetic disadvantages when compared to Crossbreads as certain Breeds have serious genetic health problems  for example   Hip Dysplasia and Eye Prolapse for Pugs and Familial Shar Pei fever for Shar Pei.  With Mutts , They tend not to inherit these genetics problems due to their mixed genes.

But perhaps the real I don't understand the love fore purebreeds is their appearance. The Corgi is one of my favorite dogs. They are absolutely adorable but mix them with a German Shepard and they become cute enough to warm your heart. In fact , The Pittbull , one of my least favorite breed of dog  becomes one of my favorites when mixed with Shar Peis and Huskies.

Granted in recent years we've seen the rise of the Labradoodle  and The Puggle  but these dogs  still  follow will behind their  so-called pure cousins.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Shjade

Define "more popular?"

They might be more prized, more highly-valued, but more popular? I sorta doubt it. I know I see a hell of a lot more mutts walking around than purebreds.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Dashenka

I selected my dog (and soon another dog) for their characteristics. I wanted a small active dog that really had a character, so I picked a Jack Russel. With a crossbreed, to quote Forrest Gump, life is like a box of chocolates. You just don't know what you get. Also from my beliefs, pure breds are healthier than crossbreeds, but I guess that just depends on the breed of dog.

A lot of people select a dog on the way it looks, which to my belief is a mistake, but because of this, dogs like the Labradoodle are getting more popular. They just look better (according to some). I'm not entirely sure if here in the UK, purebreds are more popular then mutts. You see a lot of rescued dogs from southern Europe where they lived on the streets and thus over the years have mixed with God knows what.

Also, if I may correct you, the pitbull isn't a breed of dog. It's often used to mention the AmStaf or the English Staffordshire Terrier. Sometimes even the bulldog and the bull terrier are called pitbulls. But it's not a breed :)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Oniya

The act of breeding for physical traits in and of itself can cause health problems.  The reason is that to get the desired look, individuals that are closely related are mated to each other.  Genetically speaking, it's a mine field, because this allows undesired recessive traits to become more prevalent.  I don't know of a single large-dog breed that doesn't have tendencies for hip dysplasia, for example.  The pretty blue eyes that you see on some huskies mean that the dog is likely to go blind in its later years.  Pug-type dogs have horrible breathing issues, due to the flattened faces.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nico

Quote from: Oniya on November 14, 2013, 07:28:31 AM
The act of breeding for physical traits in and of itself can cause health problems.  The reason is that to get the desired look, individuals that are closely related are mated to each other.  Genetically speaking, it's a mine field, because this allows undesired recessive traits to become more prevalent.  I don't know of a single large-dog breed that doesn't have tendencies for hip dysplasia, for example.  The pretty blue eyes that you see on some huskies mean that the dog is likely to go blind in its later years.  Pug-type dogs have horrible breathing issues, due to the flattened faces.
Yep, this about sums it up what a friend of mine said (she and her wife are dog breeders). They only do crossbreeding because of the wide gene pool and the negative side effects of pure breeding.

Thorne

Overall, it may depend more on the breeder than on the breed. A good breeder will not breed dogs with inheritable health issues or behavior problems - and that goes for purebreds and mixes both. You are just as likely to get a nutty, unsound mutt as you are to get a nutty, unsound purebred, if you aren't careful.

Take that for what you will, it's just my opinion.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Dashenka on November 14, 2013, 07:17:23 AM
Also, if I may correct you, the pitbull isn't a breed of dog. It's often used to mention the AmStaf or the English Staffordshire Terrier. Sometimes even the bulldog and the bull terrier are called pitbulls. But it's not a breed :)

I'm sorry, but I disagree... The American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual recognized breed. The UKC (United Kennel Club) recognized them in 1898.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrier12012012

Dashenka

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 14, 2013, 06:06:44 PM
I'm sorry, but I disagree... The American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual recognized breed. The UKC (United Kennel Club) recognized them in 1898.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrier12012012

I'm sorry. Yes the Pit bull Terrier is. But when most people, at least here in the UK and in the Netherlands speak of a pit bull, they mean the dogs that I mentioned above and mostly the two Stafford breeds, which are different dogs from a pit bull terrier.

Also know that in some countries/states a 'pitbull' cannot be off leash or is forbidden all together. Always wonder if they just mean the pitbull terrier or all the dogs that fall under the pitbull category.

Oniya

That's more a statement about the knowledge of the people calling the Stafford breeds 'pit bulls'.  It's complicated because of the association of certain breeds and crossbreeds with dog fighting (which colloquially takes place in a 'pit') and sloppy newscasters not giving a damn about what kind of dogs were actually involved.

I can call a Hereford a Jersey, but it doesn't make it one - nor does it take away the legitimacy of either breed.  Just means I don't know my cows.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Dashenka

That's what I mean. But saying that the 'pitbull' is a breed is incorrect, unless you mean the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Oniya

If a dog is not an American Pit Bull Terrier, then it is incorrect to say that that dog's breed is 'pit bull'.  Pit bull is still a breed.

Dashenka

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2013, 07:37:03 AM
If a dog is not an American Pit Bull Terrier, then it is incorrect to say that that dog's breed is 'pit bull'.  Pit bull is still a breed.

Yes. That is what I just said :)

Asa

I think it's because people feel safer when buying something. As if something that is free is automatically inferior. Which is interesting, because crossbreeds are proven to have better immune systems and fewer hereditary health issues than many pure-breeds. (I know this for a fact because my fiance's best man is a vet in the most prestigious vet clinic in our city.)

It is also important to consider that a vast majority of people who buy dogs are either buying toys or trophies. And truth be told, more often than not, mutts won't look like much.

A dog is sincerely what you make of it. How you treat it, how you bring it up - it will reflect in their personality. In more ways than one, a dog is a reflection of its owner. Hence the pit bull stigma. Pits are wonderful creatures, which is more than can be said for the majority of pit bull owners.

Personally, I would rather donate the money to a shelter instead of buying a dog and thus indirectly endorsing harmful inbreeding.
A story like mine should never be told. For my world is as forbidden as it is fragile. Without its mysteries, it cannot survive.

slaveaziza

I had a Golden Retriever/Collie mix as a child and I loved that dog so much. Currently I have French Bulldogs. I got them because of their reputation for being a "lazier" breed. I think they're adorable. Did I get them just for being Frenchies? No, but the information I found associated with the breed definitely helped. I think this is primarily why people will get a specific breed. They have found information on the typical temperament of the breed and that's what they're looking for.