In this Group RP, you will have the opportunity to create and play up to 2 characters
. One shoud be an angel, and the other should be a hellspawn of your choice or design. Just because you are an angel doesn't mean you have to be all nice and sweet and sugary. Just because you are a hellspawn doesn't mean you have to be evil and twisted and 'grrrrrr'! It would probably bring an element of backstory and intrigue if each character created had a little story or importance. Ie not just one of the vampires, but the leader! or similar. You are allowed to create temporary NPCs to kill/eat/befriend/tease/taunt/lick/kiss/slurp/hump, and generally do away with as you like. As long as it doesn't affect the main plot of the game, you can for example, create two city guards that you tie up and have fun with while breaking into a city.Getting started (version 3.0)
In This round of recruitment, character types have been divided into groups, but will begin in the same place.Illumi Angel
- In LA the Illumi Army has been all but shattered, but a few resiliant angels remain Guardians of the light, these melee heavy Angels once stood ready to defend all that is good and all that is close with shield, sword, and iron fist. New Illumi players likely would be survivors of the recent skirmish of LA.Fallen Angel
- Cloud 9 is the floating fortress city that is their home. Recently heavily damaged in battle against the Undead Dragon King Bahamut, and utterly destroyed against the Human Union Army, the Fallen are now nomads...a shattered culture, unless some great force is able to lift Cloud 9 from its earthbound grave. Fallen players will also be survivors of the LA skirmish.Hellspawn
- Unlike the angel characters (whose allegiance is already decided), Hellspawn characters have to decide on their own who to support: Angels, Hell, or no one. Currently, without Satan, all hellspawn may do as they please, mimicking the phrase 'all hell breaks loose'. Currently the only leader is Esha, the traitor angel who leads by power and cruelty. As a hellspawn player you likely emerge from the recently opened pit. You may choose to side with Esha and follow him and Lyrialis in the path of power and ambition, or side with good and join Lucifia and Templaris in the fight for freedom.Earth Races
- Earth Races are the non-mythic races, ie Elf, Human, and Dwarf. Like the hellspawn, these characters can decide their allegiance, and start in the corresponding city (see above). The earth race do not know about the Naga Threat, and likely know little else about the mythic war raging around them. It is suggested that you do not create an earth race character if this is your first time RPing or your first character here.Traveling
The RP followed a predetermined course. Predetermined you say? Yes! By you! Depending on the actions of all players as a group, the RP will go one way or another, or a third way that no one was expecting!Factions
So far in this RP, 3 main factions have developed. When you create your character, you must specify your initial faction. However, your faction may change depending on how the RP plays out. In general, most of the characters that players have made are 'Lawful' or 'Neutral', with many of the GM generated characters being 'Chaos'. Don't be deceived though, a supposed good character may have malign intentions. I have intentionally chosen the lawful-chaos scale instead of the good-evil scale, because as you can see...not all those who fight with the good are good. Not all those who fight with the bad are bad. Is a werewolf who wants freedom from hell evil? Is an angel who wants to stamp out all evil by harshly punishing the slightest wrong good?Lawful
In general, all Illumi and Fallen Angels are considered good. After reconciling in the aftermath of the recent major conflict of Chapter 4, the angels are now tentatively allied in the face of greater danger. Humans are also considered to be good as well. In general they wish order and peace, rule through respect and cooperation.Neutral
Elves, Dwarves, and Merfolk are all in the neutral catagory. They have not yet been majorly affected by the turn of events in the last 4 chapters, but they must realize they have to pick a side. At the moment the characters are debating whether to approach the dwarves or the elves!Chaos
The disorganized masses of hell want out. Some want Power. Others want Revenge. Others want to watch the world burn. Whatever their reasons, they all play by one rule: the rule of power. He who is strongest rules, no respect. No cooperation. Survival of the fittest, and the world, weak with politics and diplomacy...is ready to be conquered.Rules and Regulations
Being a fan of the extreme, I have only a few rules which are simple to follow:
1. This RP will go in the Extreme section, so expect every and any kink to pop up. If you don't like what another pair is doing to each other, DON'T READ THEIR POSTS!
2. Always have the curtesy to ask a player if he or she approves of something you want to do to their character.
3. NO Godmodding...unless you're godmodding your own NPCs which won't affect the plot.
4. Please do not rely on GM NPCs to rp long stretches with you. You probably have noticed there are a hell of a lot of GM characters. That's because I like to add some direction and plot to my RPs, as opposed to letting everyone lose in every direction like a ripped bag of marbles!Tips, Tricks, Hack's and Cheats - (RP for Dummies)Making a Character
Making a Character is simple enough (have a look in the character profile topic in the board!):
1. Choose your character type: The list of established types in the character profile section is a good place to start, or come up with your own:)! you are allowed to play as human, but be warned being human can feel like having a knife in a nuclear standoff:P.
2. Choose your age: hellspawn and angels live for 10,000 years, their physical appearance having little to do with their age. Bear in mind that the Cleansing (sealing of hellspawn in hell) occurred 1000 years ago
. Thus all angels and hellspawn older than 1000 will remember the apocalyptic war, all angels younger than 1000 will only have heard about it in history books, and all hellspawn younger than 1000 will have spent their entire lives in hell.
3. Choose your abilities: Generally your character should have 3-5 abilities, the more you have the weaker in general each one will be for balance. When you submit your profile to me, I'll go over it with you, suggesting tweaks and changes if needed.
4. Choose your backstory: entirely up to you! You can link it with another player for authenticity, or just go solo on it.
5. Begin playing! Technically you can start in any thread you like, but I'm sure you'd rather start off where the action is right?Game Mechanics - Might and Magic!Magic
All Angels and Hellspawn who resided in heaven and hell will start with their own weapons. Ancient weapons of great power. As this RP takes place in the near future, you have a choice to make freely. Do you stick with your trust tradition and stick with your magic and magical weapons, or do you change with the times and adopt the guns and tech of 2054? I will balance the game to ensure that no one has an unfair advantage over another, but do be warned...some situations demand concussive rounds...others demand a fireball. Remember no magic is inherently good or evil. It all depends on how you use it. A blaze of light can kill. A poison can be the antidote to another.Ancient Magic - Rituals, Runes and Voodoo
Ancient magic stretches back to the time before the rise of the earth races. The Naga, Merfolk, Angels, and Hellspawn used these crude but extremely powerful magics to achieve their goals. Only very oldest mythics will even know about these magicks, far less be able to use them adeptly. In general, the character types who may be able to use them would be Angels and Dragons.
Rituals are lengthy incantations, requiring great preparation and thought. This type of magic is not one that can be done in the middle of combat, but rather must be done before hand and undisturbed. They require great concentration, and interruption can have dire consequences. Rituals are the only magical means to affect someone in a different thread.
Runes are traditionally little stones or bricks which, when placed in correct formation in an object, produce a steady consistent magical effect. For example, a fire rune set in a sword will make a fire sword. A feather rune set in a tone of lead will make it lighter, possibly light enough for a human to carry unaided. Runes are the longest lasting magical enchantments in this RP. Once created and set, their magic is continuous, and only stops if the rune is removed or destroyed.
Voodoo (for the purposes of this RP) is the practice of creating dolls mimicking the form of another, and manipulating it to produce a sense of benefit or harm. These dolls must be prepared beforehand, and contain a sample of the target to be effective (hair/skin/feather/scale). With the use of pins, and incantation, the target can be made to feel pain, or a sensation, or even be healed. Voodoo itself does not cause harm, only the illusion of harm. Spearing a doll with a pin wonít kill the target. It will merely produce excruciating pain.Traditional Magic - The 5 Colors
For any of you who have played Magic the Gathering, this will be very familiar to you. Traditional Magic revolves around 5 main colors. Each represents its own faction and has unique traits and characteristics. These often reflect the emotional attributes associated with their color.Red
- Passion, emotion, rage, and love. Deals with fire, lava, lightning, heat, and stone. Red Magic uses are relentless and furious in their assault, battering down their enemies with fireballs and earthquakes, regardless of the collateral damage.Blue
- Logic, calculation, precision, and focus. Deals with water, Ice, Wind, teleportation. Blue Magic users are aloof, silent and watchful. They speak little, but when they do, words of power flow like a river. They excel at manipulating the battlefield, nullifying some spells, misdirecting others.Green
- Growth, Harmony, Nature, and Nuture. Deals with strengthening oneself, and brute force, spells include healing, growth, stamina, longevity, and harnessing nature. Green Magic uses harness nature's power to augment their own already impressive strength and power. They prefer a contest of brute force over diplomacy.White
- Protection, Purity, Healing. Deals with protecting and reflecting attacks, healing the wounded, and sometimes sacrificing for the greater good.Black
- Death, decay, resurrection, and drain. Deals with death and destruction, and returning the departed to the field under control. Black magic users are the most hated of the magic users, as they are sometime cold and heartless, as one must be to use death magic.Modern Magic
As time has progressed, Magic has continued to be refined. Far from fading into myth and mystery, the use of magic has become more widespread, though those with magical potential are usually mythic or elf in nature. Each color of magic has been honed down into more and more refined specialization. At the cost of breathe of magic, users of modern magic can manipuate specific aspects of magic to their needs. Thus each color is broken down into different categories. Blue magic is further divided into wind, water, and air, Red magic into fire, lava, and emotion. The more specialized the study, the less the wielder is able to use other magics of the same color. For example, a wind magic user will be less adept at using water magic or ice magic, despite the three being 'blue magic'Combat
In this update (version 3.0), we have introduces allegiance and sides, where inevitably players from opposite factions will enter into combat. Let's set some ground rules:
1. You are not allowed to GODMOD a combat situation. All actions must allow for a response. It is often best to chat with your opponent OCC (out of character), to decide beforehand what outcome is the best.
2. There is no counterspell. I've seen this issue where one player rains fireballs on another, and the other player merely 'counters' all the fireballs. This is merely another form of godmodding, and makes for frustrating looping rping. Thus I degree no counter spells, either take the hit, return fire, or duck and cover.
3. You may only use abilities you have listed, or that go with your selected specialty of magic. A black magic user may not suddenly whip out a fireball.
4. No killing (without permission), it goes without saying that you can't kill another character without the controlling player's permission. As stated above, you MAY create and kill your own NPCs.
5. GM characters are like very strong bosses. One on one, they will demolish a single opponent, it takes a concerted effort to damage them, or even take them down (For details see the Solaris battle in Las Vegas).
6. At whim, the GM will throw in certain plot points or environmental reactions to the player's actions!Game Mechanics - Souls and the Afterlife!Death and the Afterlife
In this RP world, no matter what race you play, be it mythic or earth race, your people will face death. However, for a period of time after death, the memories, personality, and thoughts of the deceased exist as a soul. A floating ethereal aspect of the mind. If the individual was extra good in life, then that soul would go to heaven or Valhalla, or the Great Mine...Or whatever they believe in. However, those who are very evil all go to the same place. Hell. This broad believe is shared by all except the hellspawn.Souls - The Detailed mechanics
The deal with souls is far more complex than just heaven and hell. The Illumi believe it is their responsibility to ensure that the best souls go to heaven, and the worst go to hell. Therefore, the Illumi keeps track of the best and worst individuals of the earth races. When a good individual dies, the Illumi Guide (known to the earth races as the Reaper), takes the soul to one of the angelic cities, where the soul is released into to heaven through a complex ritual. Whether or not the soul actually goes to heaven is unknown, as once departed the souls are not longer contactable. When an evil individual dies, the soul is collected, and released into hell.
In hell, rule of strength applies, and these souls are fair game for soul-eating or soul-enslaving hellspawn. Being in contact with souls is something prohibited by the Illumi for a good reason...the hunger. Prolonged contact with souls causes the individual to become hungry for them. As seen with many hellspawn, demons who use souls initially start with one or two, with the pure intention to learn or for company. Over time, the hunger develops, causing the hellspawn to accumulate many many souls. This in itself is not a problem, were it not for the second characteristic of souls.
Souls will only stay voluntarily with an individual for a period of time depending on their personalities. It is easier to catch a soul than to contain it, and even more difficult to expel it if it refuses to leave voluntarily. Over many years of accumulating souls, the good ones stay a while, then leave, but the evil ones stay longer, even resisting being expelled. Eventually the combined pressure of the evil souls breaks the will and spirit of the hellspawn, causing total psychotic breakdown and a struggle for dominance and ultimate control of the being. This has been seen in spectacular form where the struggle ends with all souls being expelled from the body in an colorful explosive halo. The one remaining soul then gains control of the body. More often than not, the most powerful soul gains control of the body...is it the original soul? No one knows.
Interesting Point: The only hellspawn known to use souls are Succubi/Incubbi. Most of whom go mad. No one is entirely sure if the soul inhabiting Lucifia is her original soul, or the strongest in a series of souls to wrestle control from the last.
Ah yes, the all important section for the simple questions hard to answer! This will of course be an ever expanding section of the RP, so do check by now and again for more answers to your questions!Q: Are GM Characters sex-able?A:
Yes! GM Characters can get involved in your cozy time, but bear in mind that this won't be often, as the GM has to control the entire world!Q: I'm stuck in an area where there are no other people, and not much action! What do I do?A:
There will be times where your character finds itself in a lonely deserted city or forest. If you want action, you can do two simple things: Find the action, or bring the action to you! Travel is un-restricted in this RP, so go anywhere! (but make it plausible). Alternately, you could organize with other characters to start something up!Q: The GM seems to be focusing on one or two particular regions of the RP. Why is that?A:
Unlike most massive group RPs, this RP has a rather involved plot, which follows a certain path through the various locations. The path is of course greatly affected by how players interact with each other and the GM. As you can see, it has previously taken a course through Sunhome, Las Vegas, Alias Port, and Cloud 9.Q: I'm not sure where to start! Help Me!A:
It a big world in here, so of course some might get lost! Not to worry! In this chapter, all characters (with few exceptions) will begin in the "Battlefield LA" thread. Helpfully, this is a staging ground before all characters decide as one whether to go to the Dwarves or to the Elves for help!Q: I want to start in a certain place, but how can I get my character there 'naturally' without having to interact or wait too long?A:
Sometimes you might have a character that you want to start off in a place where they don't fit. Like a Dwarf Character at Cloud 9. Not to worry! The easy way around this is to include a brief explaination of how your character arrived in your current place. For example, in your starting thread, you might say that the Dwarf had joined the Dwarf legion, was assigned to guard a certain post, then deserted, and hitched a ride up to Cloud 9.Q: The character/player I was sexing up has gone AWOL! I'm left hanging, but I don't want to be rude and leave suddenly as well!A:
We all have some issues and responsibilities in real life to attend to, and absences will be inevitable. One way around these is having 2 characters (if you can manage). Sometimes if one character is slow, the other will be active. If you find your partner is veeeerryyyy slow, a private PM chat might solve things. As a last resort, you DO have the option to politely break off the interaction, and continue with the RP.