Maid, Microscope, or Magical Burst? [Interest check]

Started by Kaedia, November 24, 2013, 07:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaedia

Okay so my friend has been poking me for a long time to finally get off my bum and work on one of my group ideas instead of talking about doing one. I've decided the only way to get her to stop taunting me is to get on with it! As you can tell by the title there are quite a few potential stories that have been floating around in my head and to be honest I can't simply pick one. My friend has helped to narrow it down by quite a bit -but- there are still more than a couple to present...

A few things to be upfront about first. This would not be a fast paced game. It would be a bi-weekly to weekly pace. There will be rules to keep the order. Decent english is expected as well as more than a paragraph per post. Those are just the basics. I'll fluff it out once I know which idea I'm going to work with. I don't enjoy large group so this would be kept small with at the absolute most six players depending on the idea but more likely to be around four. So if you don't mind moderately slow paced, small games then read on and see what tickles your fancy!

Another important note this wouldn't happen right away. It'd take time for me to get everything squared away. For now I'm just looking for what idea I should work on instead of just jumping in.

Requiem for the Lost     

~ System:

Magical Burst.

Never heard of it and would like to pick up a copy? [Link] The author of the system offers it free for players interested in giving it a spin. At least for now. With the success of his latest translation project he's rumored it might hit kickstarter in a year or so for a real production of the system. For now though we get to enjoy it as is.

What is the system like? Magical Burst is a game system that revolves around magical girls fighting monsters in an attempt to have their hearts desire granted. Have you seen Mahou Shoujo Madoka? Then you know the type of game this is. Magical Burst was made to give the player the ability to experience a spin-off of the Madoka-verse first hand. It is combat heavy and dark by nature. If you have any questions I'll try and answer them to give you an idea how the system works. The term Magical Burst is a feature in the game when you overcharge with magic... and bad things happen. In Magical Burst nothing good ever happens.

~ Players: 

As a player in this scenario you take on the role of a magical girl. Since the board age minimal is sixteen the characters will be aged 16-18. Players will be expected to write out a brief family list for their character. They will also be expected to take the initiative and explore the world around them.

~ Content: 

Transformation, Light vs Dark, Deconstruction, Pseudoreligion, Magical Girls, Magic

~ Brief description: 

The characters all attend the same school in a rather large town encased in fog. A place where people have been disappearing one by one and the memories of them slip away soon after. That is except for you. You are the few who remember those who have gone missing. No answers are to be had. The fog blocks out even the light of day. The only thing visible through the fog is the building standing at the center of the town; the headquarters that controls the various robots that run the city and its various functions.

Your goal will be to do whatever it takes to have your wish granted. You must solve the mystery of the disappearances and push back the darkness that is creeping over the land before it's too late. Before you are consumed by what lurks in the shadows.

~ Other info: 

I would also be interested in having someone take up a co-GM spot and help guide the game along. I have the story built up in my head and would be happy to share with anyone not participating (since I wouldn't want to spoil the story for a player).

When Worlds Collide     

~ System:

Microscope

Never heard of it? Sorry but there is no free way to get a look at the rules. You'd have to buy the book to read it but luckily enough it's not a complex system and something I can explain should the interest arise for this. Being very general it is a GM-less game where every player is a character as well as a story teller. You being with a broad idea and build out a timeline with the help of every player involved. Once you have your timeline you dive into a section of the history and help create it. If you want to give it a look over check out their website for a better description... [Link]

~ Players: 

Unknown. The thing about this game is I don't know what to tell you to expect since we'll be building the story together.

~ Content: 

Unknown. Likely high-fantasy meshed with modern.

~ Brief description: 

Since the story is built off a broad idea the idea I'm thinking for this story is...

Two worlds/realities collide with one another.

The idea is a high-fantasy world merges with our present world with both combining into one cohesive world.

~ Other info: 

I would also be interested in having someone take up a co-GM spot and help guide the game along. I have the story built up in my head and would be happy to share with anyone not participating (since I wouldn't want to spoil the story for a player).

Midnight Manor     

~ System:

Maid

Never heard of it? Like with Microscope there isn't a free way to get your hands on a copy. The good news is you really don't need a copy to play but that means you'll have to rely on me to explain everything to you... deity bless you. Maid is a quirky game where players assume the role of a maid for a master or mistress doing anything and everything to gain their favor. Want to give it a look over? [Link]

~ Players: 

You assume the role of a maid. No butlers; sorry. One player as well will be asked to assume the role of the second master should the need arise.

~ Content: 

A little bit of everything. Maid is a crazy little game where it's hard to predict just what will happen. Expect adult material to be included.

~ Brief description: 

The title Midnight Manor is an idea I came up with after my last game of Maid. The master and mistress of the game are a twin brother and sister Incubus-Succubus combination. They have taken up residence in their family manor as a coming of age ceremony. Rumor has it every one hundred years the manor comes to life with action. The brother-sister set up home and begin by filling up the empty halls with maids. It is as much a trial as a gift. By day the manor seems normal with the hustle of bustle of daily life but when midnight strikes who knows what happens behind closed doors?

~ Other info: 

For this game I would love, love, love someone to take up the brother slot while I play the sister. I would also like to play a maid under the brother. Optionally if someone is interested in playing a master or mistress should we not get enough interest for this particular setup I'd love to see it. Though remember we are keeping this small. I dislike large games. Six total people is my max. I'm more comfortable with four.

And now I turn it over to all of you. Post what you think and I'll see what I can do to make it happen! Only one of these games will be started if enough interest is mustered.
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Ghostwheel

Reading through Magical Burst (fan of both the Nanoha and Madoka series), it looks really cool and I'd be down to play! Have an idea for a character, but I want to see if we end up using that system first. My vote's for Requiem for the Lost! :D

Yukina

I'm currently deciding between maid and magical burst. It's hard because I loved Madoka Magica, but I also like the maid system.

ExisD

Everything sounds like a lot of fun, especially since the slower pace means I'm not as likely to get lost like games with a daily pace. I'll throw my hat in for Magical Burst right now.

Ebb

I'd be interested in either Microscope or Maid. I'd be open to playing either the brother or a maid if you ran Maid.

Kaedia

So lets see... we have (counting multi-votes just for the fun of it)...

3 for Magical Burst
2 for Maid
1 for Microscope

I'm honestly surprised. I love the Magical Burst system personally but I didn't think it would be very popular. I figured Maid would be on top of the list. Nothing wrong with that; just surprised. Microscope is currently the game book that has intrigued me the most. The concept of GM-less games is pretty neat.

For those of you who are interested in Magical Burst and want to have a little fun check out... http://magicalburst.sagittaluminis.net/ -- it's a random character generator. Say we go with Magical Burst we won't be using it -but- I've found it fun to play around with and see what type of magical girls crop up.

Since Magical Burst is the most popular (for the moment) I'll talk a little more about what I have in mind for it. First off we won't be having experienced magical girls. The PCs will be new or very fresh at the start of the story. We would also be playing crisis-light. Character crisis will still be a driving point of the game but their will be another, bigger plot to also work toward. Another note you'll be unable to leave the city perimeter. Your character may or may not be aware of that. I would say most would not be aware of it but it's possible. When you leave the city the fog gets overbearingly thick and impossible to navigate. You wander around aimlessly until you eventually stumble back to the point you left even if you walked in a straight line. That means powers like 'Doors' will only work within the city. Ultimately you'll be fighting through youma and trying to find your happy ending as the story unfolds.
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.

ReijiTabibito

I was waiting for you to eventually bring this up...but you already know that.  My vote's for Magical Burst.

Yukina

I've actually found the perfect character for the type of girls I play if we end up doing Magical Burst. :)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Hiiragi Ririka
Nurse Girl Rainbow Ririka

What kind of girl are you?
Fujoshi/Fangirl

What convinced you to make a contract?
Maybe the other magical girls will be my friends. I don't have any friends right now.

What is your wish?
I wish to have my family back.

Weapon
Magic Staff

Magical Element
Sugar

Magical Power
Divination
The art of divination will let you glimpse portents of the future and find answers to questions.

Costume Elements
Cross

Crisis
Every night I dream of an all-powerful youma that will cause the end of the world.

RedFangedWerehawk

I read through the Magical Burst information and it sounds like a lot of fun! A smaller, slower paced group game would work for me as well. My vote is for Magical Burst, I think the subject matter would make a very compelling game.

kylie

Looks like you already have 6, but I might be interested if a spot opens up...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you might be going for MB for this game... 

But btw if anyone needs the Maid rules, and doesn't have the means (or desire to pay that much for a soft document maybe).... 

1.  There is a copy here

Sometimes this site has loaded glacially slow for me.  (It could totally be just my location.  I don't know.  But it does work.)

2.   You can also download the PDF from  this site with several minor caveats below:

• They also try to send you a download manager.  It's a completely separate EXE file which you probably don't need.
  • They require some login; you can just let it sign into your Facebook, Google, etc.  (since you're already "trusting" NSA etc. ha)
  • You need to wait 20 seconds to start the free download (the button trying to hide in grey).
  • I'm looking at a Chinese version of the site, although I pretty much assume they load in English too.

Kaedia

I believe it is safe to say Magical Burst has won. I've gotten more than enough interest to start a game. A little too much interest but we'll work that out once I have the game actually up.

As of this post the poll is closed and Magical Burst's Requiem for the Lost will be what I play out. I'll post another thread once I have a recruitment thread ready. Probably won't be for a week and the game itself probably won't start for at least two to three weeks. That is subject to change since I'm on break from college this week and may have enough time to get everything written up. We'll see.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me. I'll post a link to the recruitment thread once it is up.
My Status:
Open.