You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 08:05:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!  (Read 12483 times)

Offline Myrleena

Re: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
Which is exactly what I don't like about it, really. It's more efficient...and this is something granted by devils/infernal magic? Really? I'd expect them to go for something that does more up-front healing, but with a negative side effect a minute later or such! To me, the spell makes no sense, and irritates me in general.

*just wants to remind that this is the Myr's opinionated opinion, nothing more*

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
Makes sense, since the reasons you dislike it (most of them) are the exact same reasons I like it. I was taught in the thought-school that the best form of healing was pre-emptive - until you got to Heal, it was usually a better use of actions/resources to kill the bad guys faster and heal afterwards than to try and play HP ping-pong with monster attacks and Cure spells. For that school of party-building (in 4E lingo, a full party of strikers/controllers, playing for alpha-strike tactics), Lesser Vigor was a thing of beauty and wonder.

Your flavor-related arguments about it being infernal magic are spot-on, though. I like to think that, despite lack of any explicit mention in the rules, consuming/using devil's blood on a regular basis as part of healing has got to result in some unpleasant side effects.

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
*nods* I'll be honest, most of my reasons are flavor based. And the fact that it's an arcane spell that's more efficient than divine, which should be healing...but I digress. If this was a nature-themed druid spell? I'd be all for it! I'd think it fit perfectly for a nature-based, no-scar spell. But it isn't. *shrugs*

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
That's what refluffing is for. Personally, I think 'worse in short-term, more efficient long-term' makes sense for Arcane-based healing if it exists at all (which isn't necessarily true, even the Vigor line was still divine-only, Arcane got the ability to repair Constructs). It can't match the up-front restorative power of divine energy, it takes time to decipher the pattern and put the pieces back together that Bobby Barbarian might not have to spare when an ogre is punching him in the face. The same way divine spells aren't flat out forbidden to do direct damage, Arcane magic's traditional forte, they're just not as good at it.

A druid variant/clone would be very thematic, though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:38:55 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Personally, I despise infernal healing. I have absolutely no problems with arcane users having healing spells (even if, generally, I would put them a level higher than divine ones). It's just that infernal healing...irritates me. Having it be evil aligned is bad enough. But the fact that, on average, it's better than the equivalent level healing spells makes me outright ban it in my games.

It's not.. well to me. I mean.. initally..yeah.. you get 10 points every casting. But as time goes on CLWs gets better (max cap of 15). They are simply different approaches.

I have two PFS wizards. One has it.. simply because I was doing 'spell exchanges' with another player and figured 'why not?'. The other is my Maagamban Arcanist and she has CLW and a 2 spell slot penalty for 'Evil' spells.. so she doesn't use it at all. I don't think I've ever actually used it on either PC. It's not a very popular spell down here in PFS play..and I know some folks absolutely despise it. (One Pali player let his player nearly die rather than take it)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »
Average power on a CLW spell is 4.5+CL, so an average range of 5.5 to 9.5. So everyone is right here...Infernal Healing has a lower cap (10 vs. 13), but higher median average at every level.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:43:23 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
Most of the roleplayers don't like it.. (they tend to play goody goodies down here...) or have access to better (My cleric of pharasma gets auto-empowered cures). The few that don't mind it.. always ask first.. explaining to players what it does..and how.

The Rollplayers? They tend to break it down to numbers and move on.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »
There is no good or evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it. ;D So if you're roleplaying evil anyways, and you've got a better option, why wouldn't you take it?

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
There is no good or evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it. ;D So if you're roleplaying evil anyways, and you've got a better option, why wouldn't you take it?

Can't be evil in PFS. Only Chekiaxian.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
Can't be evil in PFS. Only Chekiaxian.

Laaaaaaame.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »
Laaaaaaame.

What can I say?  Organized play, got to keep the biggest jerks in control. Of course the worse table I heard of was 5 Andoran faction members purposely trying to sabotage the Chelaxian players faction mission.

Offline NicciKotor

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
No one wants to do a solo game with me?

*pouts and sulks away*

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
No one wants to do a solo game with me?

*pouts and sulks away*

Sorry, tis the silly season. No one likes my solo idea either.. so don't feel bad.

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
Honestly, I haven't been into a 'looking for game' thread other than my own, in, umm...a year-ish?

Offline NicciKotor

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
Honestly, I haven't been into a 'looking for game' thread other than my own, in, umm...a year-ish?

Gasp!

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
Hey, I've had plenty of games! And, well, most of the people who I've gone into games with are people I've gamed with before. *shrugs*

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Yeah but the rest of us lose out. ;p

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »
Heh. Well, to not-overtly change the subject...

What do you guys think of redeemable bad guys in adventures? I mean, ones where even some of the major villains can be brought to their senses? Personally, I've always been a fan of the possibility, however unlikely, but...I know sometimes people seem to be frustrated by it, which seems odd to me.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »
I like the idea. It's fresher in a way than the good guy goes bad. Grandmaster Torch's betrayal in Season 4 had a lot of PFS players disgruntled. He had been working for YEARS to help out the rank and file and in less than a paragraph and a half he turned on those he recruited?

Offline NicciKotor

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
Hey, I've had plenty of games! And, well, most of the people who I've gone into games with are people I've gamed with before. *shrugs*

All the more reason to play together and experiment!

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »
Heh. Well, to not-overtly change the subject...

What do you guys think of redeemable bad guys in adventures? I mean, ones where even some of the major villains can be brought to their senses? Personally, I've always been a fan of the possibility, however unlikely, but...I know sometimes people seem to be frustrated by it, which seems odd to me.

I think that they are fairly fine. I mean, not all villains will be utterly evil with no redeeming features. The chance to 'redeem' or 'save' a villain can be very interesting, as long as its done well and isn't either too simple, nor impossible to do without rolling natural 20 after nat 20. Of course, just because a villain can be saved doesn't mean the party/character will.

Offline SkynetTopic starter

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
Dreamscarred Press just released Ultimate Psionics.

It's a 3-in-1 package of their best work: Psionics Unleashed (the Pathfinderized Psionic's Handbook), Psionics Expanded (original material), and Psionics Augmented (more original material), all for $20.  A hardcover released is expected around January 14th.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I plan on doing so.  And you should, too, if you love psionics.  And if you don't, well, they explain how to change the fluff to "re-skin" it into something more appropriate to your campaign, such as rune magic.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
*chorus of angels*

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
Personally, I've never liked psionics, I dislike the power-point system, and from all the people I've personally spoken to whom I respect the opinion of, it's a bit more powerful than standard classes/magic...so I'm going to pass on it, for sure.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
I was one of the few folks i know who used the old 'Advanced D&D PSionics system' and knew it well enough to make it work. The problem was, for me, that the psionic encounters were WAY high.. or unspeakably hard to deal with.

The only reason I liked the points system was it was more usable. I like psi characters.. but I don't miss them enough to want them in PFS play. That being said..those folks have done a good job balancing their product from everyone I've heard of speak of it.