You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 03:22:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!  (Read 12469 times)

Offline SkynetTopic starter

Re: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
I meant more of a brief overview.  And that book can be quite expensive for the prospective newcomer. :P

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
I meant more of a brief overview.  And that book can be quite expensive for the prospective newcomer. :P

Very expensive. I was surprised, particularly compared to the other books BUT it is a high quality binding with good paper. Very much worth the price but still expensive. I would point out what you get out of it.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
Very expensive. I was surprised, particularly compared to the other books BUT it is a high quality binding with good paper. Very much worth the price but still expensive. I would point out what you get out of it.

370+ full colour glossy pages at 50 bucks?  That's a steal.  Especially if Paizo created it from the ground up.  Are you comparing it with the Pathfinder core which is nearly 600 pages of the same quality?

The major difference is the lack of work required in the core rule book.  All Paizo did (originally) for Pathfinder's core rules was reprint most of the SRD (which is freely and legally available on the net, to WoTC's financial dismay) added a few changes, and had to buy all the art used in it.  That makes printing incredibly cheap, comparatively.  They didn't have to pay for full writing.  Unlike this Sea Guide, which they likely would have.

RPG game books are incredibly cheap compared to other books that use the same format.  Like textbooks.  Which comparably, would sell for about (without the stupid price inflation that textbook companies love to screw students out of) between $80 (for 200 pages) to 120 (for 600.)

So at 50 bucks, the Paizo stuff is worth more than the prices they're selling their books at.

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
370+ full colour glossy pages at 50 bucks?  That's a steal.  Especially if Paizo created it from the ground up.  Are you comparing it with the Pathfinder core which is nearly 600 pages of the same quality?

The major difference is the lack of work required in the core rule book.  All Paizo did (originally) for Pathfinder's core rules was reprint most of the SRD (which is freely and legally available on the net, to WoTC's financial dismay) added a few changes, and had to buy all the art used in it.  That makes printing incredibly cheap, comparatively.  They didn't have to pay for full writing.  Unlike this Sea Guide, which they likely would have.

RPG game books are incredibly cheap compared to other books that use the same format.  Like textbooks.  Which comparably, would sell for about (without the stupid price inflation that textbook companies love to screw students out of) between $80 (for 200 pages) to 120 (for 600.)

So at 50 bucks, the Paizo stuff is worth more than the prices they're selling their books at.

Yeah.. but it's a bit of sticker shock when folks look at the OTHER books they put out more regularly. 9.99 with subscriptions and such is pretty awesome.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »
The Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition was pricey as well, but the content within was well worth it.

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 08:12:56 AM »
The Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition was pricey as well, but the content within was well worth it.

Oh yeah. It is a HUGE book case

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »
Fun note. Today the Beta document for 8 of the new hybrid classes that will be in the upcoming Advanced class guide will be coming up on the Paizo site. 

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »
This thread must not die!

So someone on the Paizo forums is compiling a list of campaign settings by 3rd Party Publishers.  One whose first incarnation was in Pathfinder.

Linky.

It's quite a good assortment.  I'd recommend Midgard, Coliseum Morpheuon, and Cerulean Seas.

I talked about Midgard in another thread.

Cerulean Seas is basically doubles as a campaign setting and underwater adventures sourcebook.  Not only does it have beautiful art, it's got some of the best rules bar none for underwater combat and adventures.  The setting's great, too, and I suspect that one or more people on the design team are marine biologists, incorporating the many mysteries of the sea into a D&D setting.

Octopus, starfish, and jellyfish familiars; deep sea trenches as an oceanic Underdark home to fell beasts; new serpent-like dragons who derive their powers from song; and selkie (aquatic fey seals) who live in traveling iceberg cities are but a few of its cool features.  And it's really handled a lot of common questions and changes from a standard game.  Fire spells manifest as bubbles of steam to scorch opponents, silver and copper pieces are replaced with cowry and shells as the former corrode easily in water (gold does not, and thus is still valuable), and a thick, oily liquid known as aqua gravis is heavier than water and is used as a base for underwater alchemical solutions.

I'd heavily recommend it for any Pathfinder fans out there.  Best of all, you can buy all five products in the line for $25, as part of a limited bargain bundle.  Normally it costs $75, but you can save a lot!  Five products and over 500 pages for a bunch of cool content!

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
I'm surprised no one is talking about the Advanced class beta.

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
It is being talked about on the various D&D message boards, but this thread is kind of slow.

As for me, I've taken a look at some of the classes, and I feel sort of mixed on them.  My initial reading of the Arcanist was that it's too strong, taking much of the best features from Sorcerers and Wizards while discarding the worst.  I heard that Mearls updated it from feedback, but I don't know when that happened or if I have the "new" version.

I am fond of the Skald archetype, though.  At the moment it feels too bard-like and needs more Barbarian stuff, like proficiency with axes and some heavy two-handed weapons.  Needs to put more warrior in the warrior-poet! :P

Edit: Added Cerulean Seas and Path of War to recommended third party material in the OP.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:22:14 PM by Skynet »

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
This thread is a horrible travesty. A list of adventure paths and modules, an entire section about Pathfinder Goblins, and not even one mention of We Be Goblins? Inconceivable!

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
This thread is a horrible travesty. A list of adventure paths and modules, an entire section about Pathfinder Goblins, and not even one mention of We Be Goblins? Inconceivable!

You left out We Be Goblins Too!

So don't you DARE judge me! BOW DOWN to KING CHEIF POOG!

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
You left out We Be Goblins Too!

So don't you DARE judge me! BOW DOWN to KING CHEIF POOG!

King Chief Poog is a lowly nothing compared to King Torg (ALL HAIL KING TORG).  But that's a different game system, so never mind.

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
King Chief Poog is a lowly nothing compared to King Torg (ALL HAIL KING TORG).  But that's a different game system, so never mind.

King Chief HIGH King Poog rulz all. He slay many stirges in his stomping contest (okay..he FIREBALLED them.. but that not against rules) and won the pie contest (Negative channels don't hurt..much..)

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
Clearly this situation must be rectified!

We Be Goblins is a free adventure where the PCs take the role of goblins in a village.  The Licktoad tribe of goblins discovered a shipment of fireworks on a crashed ship.  Unfortunately the previous goblins responsible for the discovery have been exiled for the terrible crime of learning how to read and write.  His Mighty Girthness Chief Rendwattle Gutwad, has declared for the tribe's mightiest heroes to go forth and retrieve the fireworks.  In order to prove their worth, the PCs must engage in a series of tests to be honored with this quest, from swallowing bull slugs and braving the Earbiter obstacle course and dancing with Squealy Nord himself.  But this is only the beginning, as the ship itself holds many dangers in addition to the fireworks.

We Be Goblins Too is another free adventure and sequel to the original.  A roving band of adventurers killed everyone in the Licktoad tribe but the PCs.  Who then leave their swampy homeland to join the Birdcrunchers, another goblin tribe.  Good news is that the tribe has heard of their exploits, and wants one of them to become their new chieftian.  Bad news is that they must pass a series of deadly and humiliating tests.

Complicating matters is that Birdcruncher chieftians have very short lifespans, as a nearby ogre and his fire-breathing boar pet want the Birdcruncher land for themselves.

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
It's something they've done for YEARS btw. .

See if you can coax Myleena to post in here. SHE got accepted into the semis last year. :d

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
In other news, Paizo is planning on translating their products into Spanish and Portugues, and a Brazilian-based publisher is going to help translate and sell the products throughout Latin America.

Neat!  I do know that there was a popular D20 Setting in Brazil, Tormenta, so they might have a good chance at developing a fanbase there.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
I love Kyra so much, you don't even know.

Kyra x Merisiel is now canonical. :-)
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4524892.html

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
So, Skynet poked me into poking my head in here...

As a side-note, yes, I did get into the top 35 of RPG Superstar last year. I was number #34, one of the three alternates. Because one alternate had already been picked, and in all the previous years, I'd only seen one alternate ever used, I will admit that I took it kind of...lightly. I didn't do my homework, and got slammed, justifiably. I was asked to do an organization, and while I did some searches for information, I found that my searches were inadequate, and that I had made an organization similar to one that already existed.

Now, my advice for RPG Superstar. I will state, I am not entering this year, as I'm working on a full-blown adventure path for submission to a 3rd party site.

1) Think big. Don't go for an item you think is neat. Go for something AWESOME. Shoot for the stars, and damn the consequences. Yes, you might crash and burn...but you might not. My entry was the -redacted. It was considered too close to being an artifact, but I'm the type that likes elemental items. I would rather do something I feel is awesome and submit it than to wonder if I played it too safe.
2) Follow the template. If you don't know the template? Go look at a magic item from the Core Rules, and look at it. Study it and the others, consider how it is designed and everything. The one thing I've gotten praised on every time is that when I submit an item, I follow the template perfectly. It doesn't necessarily kill you if you don't have the template down perfectly, but you have to understand that people will likely knock off points for it.
3) Pricing is an art. The formulas in the back of the Core Rulebook? They're guidelines. Look at what the item does, then look at other items. If you can't find a good one to compare it to? Go with your gut feeling on it. If it looks too cheap, the GMs in the crowd will recoil massively. If it's too expensive, you're going to find plenty of people going: "Why would I ever buy that?" Yes, it's not very nice...but it'll happen, and you'll lose out because of it. But this is the least of your issues, truly.

Anyway, that's my advice for RPG Superstar. If anyone has questions for me, feel free to ask...the worst I'll say is that I don't want to talk about it. ^_^
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:43:37 PM by Myrleena »

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
So, Skynet poked me into poking my head in here...

As a side-note, yes, I did get into the top 35 of RPG Superstar last year. I was number #34, one of the three alternates. Because one alternate had already been picked, and in all the previous years, I'd only seen one alternate ever used, I will admit that I took it kind of...lightly. I didn't do my homework, and got slammed, justifiably. I was asked to do an organization, and while I did some searches for information, I found that my searches were inadequate, and that I had made an organization similar to one that already existed.

Now, my advice for RPG Superstar. I will state, I am not entering this year, as I'm working on a full-blown adventure path for submission to a 3rd party site.

Ooh, do you mind sharing?  I'm definitely intrigued!

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
I cannot say much about it, due to the fact I'm going to be selling it. However, I can give a little of an idea of what I'm working on.

I was first contacted by AdventureAWeek.com about 2 months after I dropped out of RPG Superstar due to my screw-ups. They were curious if I would be willing to write an adventure for them. After many trials and tribulations (mostly me trying to remember how 3.5 rules worked and creating 3.5 copies of creatures) I finished the adventure -named redacted. It was centered around a small town called Iversdam and the nearby forest, owned by a benevolent druid. But the druid was driven out by a mad nymph named Daphne. It was a short little adventure, but I had fun with it, and it got a good review from one of the major 3rd party reviewers.

However, I re-read it later and was...irritated. I found that several RP xp rewards that I meant to put in hadn't been (my fault), and that I hadn't added values to several pieces of treasure, and so on. I contacted AAW and mentioned I had these fixes, and that I'd come up with a series of ideas for new adventures, but that having to write up 3.5 stats was constraining my design decisions somewhat. They responded that, instead of just updating it, why not re-write and expand it? Thus I came to the decision to write an adventure path, as I brainstormed how to tie much more than just those areas together.

My flaw, such as it is, is that I don't think in the terms of single, stand-alone adventures. I'm a fan of epic adventure arcs. And often I will design an entire region around the adventure arc. Currently I have a 19 page (unfinished) document that's a gazetteer of the region, with campaign traits, a number of racial traits, local deities in the AP, a new feat and modified feat, and two prestige classes tied to the region. More will be added, but it, at times, is a case of fatigue writing just that. My intended AP was going to run from 2nd level (1st is too squishy) to 15th, but it may end up higher level, as with what I've designed so far, the PCs should be at least 9th by the end of Part 3. Well, if they take on everything, at least.

I suppose I want to add a bit of my design philosophy on adventure building as well, though.

Personally, I believe that adventuring should be a challenge. If a fight isn't APL+1 minimum, the party will walk over it (there are exceptions to this). Due to this, my encounters tend to average APL+2. This tends to mean that PCs may die more easily, but for the style of play I tend toward, it is perfect, because the adventures feel more epic overall. This does not, however, mean that every single opponent should be this powerful. I have, in places, thrown a pile of CR 1/4 creatures into an area level 4-5 PCs are going into, because it makes sense for them to be there. I expect them to die. The PCs may feel like gods amongst mortals when they do it, or feel horrified. That is their problem. The area needs to feel right to me, not necessarily everyone else.

The other aspect, and the one at which I'm told I excel, is on creating NPCs. In my opinion, if you create a two-dimensional NPC for a single purpose, you're doing it wrong. Every NPC has their own hopes, dreams, and motivations. If I put an NPC into an adventure or game, at the very least I know what their goal is. That goal may be as simple as the shopkeeper wanting to move into the upper district, but every last one of them needs to have their own personality and goal. Even if I don't write down any information other than their name, I consider it. For instance, in one of my adventures I wrote up a sorcerer. Low level, odd skill selection, no real gear to speak of on her. She owns a house in a major city of the region, and spent most of her WBL on it. She has a small library of arcane lore. She's a self-taught scholar, and her goal is to create a prestige class. Not saying what, specifically, because she's in my adventure, but that's who and what she is. I through her in at a whim, and after about 30 seconds came up with her personality and goals.

Anyway...my verbose, rambling response.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:49:34 PM by Myrleena »

Online Callie Del Noire

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
No no.. it's always intersting to heafr from someone on the design side. I know I've lurked and peeked in on some of your games for a long while. (Shame that our styles don't mesh.. I'd LOVE to have you play something with me...:D )

I agree with the challenging bit..

Most enjoyable (and terrifying fight) I've done since I got back into the Pathfinder scene was 'The Waking Rune' where each encounter was at least CR +2 over us. A UNIQUE extraplanar herald of a lost god (with a CR high enough that we didn't know it had fast healing.. till the THIRD time we killed it) and a Runelord (Wiz (Conjurer) 17, built on 25 BP, with +2 PC levels in gear and MASSIVE bonuses to stats)

Terrifying but fun.

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very good at running Play-by-Post games. I've tried, a bunch of times, but I'm not good at it. And trying to run solo games? It's inevitable that I screw up the encounters. For forum-based RP, and my own personal fun, I like Elli, but I have to get my proper GMing done in tabletop. It just...doesn't work otherwise. Not for me, anyway. Honestly, my biggest problem is maintaining motivation to write. I've all but finished part 1 & 2 of my AP, and have 3 fully planned out, encounter-wise, but I only the last week managed to get motivation to write it. And I ought to go back and edit the first two, but at the moment? Need to work on what I have the motivation for.

But I have to say...if PCs take the encounters in Part 3 head-on, they deserve what they get. I don't believe in pulling my punches on stuff like this. And I've had fun creating...lets see...7 new monsters for my adventure, so far? One construct, one monstrous humanoid, a 0-HD fey race, a templated troll, and...3 magical beasts? Oh, and two swarms, so I guess 8 monsters, since the troll shouldn't count. I had a friend of mine on here decide to throw one of them into his Rise of the Runelords game, and now he has a player quake with fear every time my name comes up, because of my 'steampunk spider' as he called it. Good times. ^_^

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very good at running Play-by-Post games. I've tried, a bunch of times, but I'm not good at it. And trying to run solo games? It's inevitable that I screw up the encounters. For forum-based RP, and my own personal fun, I like Elli, but I have to get my proper GMing done in tabletop. It just...doesn't work otherwise. Not for me, anyway. Honestly, my biggest problem is maintaining motivation to write. I've all but finished part 1 & 2 of my AP, and have 3 fully planned out, encounter-wise, but I only the last week managed to get motivation to write it. And I ought to go back and edit the first two, but at the moment? Need to work on what I have the motivation for.

I think that has more to do with the 3rd Edition ruleset being heavily weighted towards group games as opposed to 1-on-1 adventures.  I've seen it done before, but a lot of the time the combat is very underleveled to compensate, a significant portion is non-combat stuff, and the adventure itself is heavily geared around the class being played (a solo Rogue plays very different than a solo Barbarian).