You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 02:36:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!  (Read 12432 times)

Offline Zekromnomnom

Re: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »
I'm sure they might be fun to play with the right group, but I just kind of see the two groups I play with these days being really annoying with them.

Offline SkynetTopic starter

« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
Oh, yeah, right, I guess I didn't really think about that too much as I was reading over them, but yeah, I could see how that would make sense.

From what I heard and seen of the Slayer, it does seem to be better than the Rogue.  Same for Brawler (Martial Flexibility is great) and the Monk.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Anyone else take a gander at the latest Playtest document for Occult Adventures.

« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
Anyone else take a gander at the latest Playtest document for Occult Adventures.

I have not checked it out.  Too busy focusing on other stuff for the time being.

Also, I got a copy of DSP's Path of War, and I'm liking it a lot.  It's a lot like the Tome of Battle, except that it has lots of original content and clearer wording on various rules.

I also got the Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin.  It's more accurate to say that it's a huge book of templates, from the typical fantasy (Giantblood makes you bigger and gives special abilities of giant parent) to the nifty (Shadow-Traced allows the creature to make 3 semi-real counterpart illusions which have their own hit points and can attack).

I definitely recommend both products.  The game mechanics of both books are OGL.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:26:02 PM by Skynet »

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
I'm still really worried someone in my group will buy the Advanced Class Guide and want to play something that's going to be really annoying for the rest of us.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »
What would annoy the rest of you? Nothing in the ACG is particularly powerful except (surprise!) the Arcanist.

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
I'm sure someone probably would want to play an arcanist, but some of the others are just...I dunno, they don't quite sit right with me I guess. I dunno.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »
Some of them fit in good. The warpriest and swashbuckler fit in very good. Some folks like the hunter and slayer a lot too.

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2015, 06:53:24 AM »
I didn't look at warpriest much and I've always liked the idea of a swashbuckler (even played 3.5 ones sometimes) and I like the idea of the skald, thematically if not entirely mechanically. I don't remember what the hunter and slayer are though and the barbarian/mage one just sounded dumb to me. But I dunno, I kind of have a weird bias towards a lot of Pathfinder things.

Offline Omnius

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
The hunter was really nice. I liked playing my stuttering snakeman hunter with his tiger pet. Slayer was fun to, but that was a gestalt game where i was a paladin/slayer

You really really have to watch out for ACG classes in a gestalt game or shit get broken fast. Like a fighter/slayer with 30+ feats

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
I like the Warpriest quite a bit. The blessings are cool, though I wish the sacred weapon perks lasted longer the rounds/level. Swift action personal buffs are amazing and the blessings are good for you or your allies weapons. I got two inPFS now. Simon is sort of 'paladin light' and the one I got waiting to play when I finish Eyes of the Ten is a two whip wielding mistress of mayhem.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
The hunter was really nice. I liked playing my stuttering snakeman hunter with his tiger pet. Slayer was fun to, but that was a gestalt game where i was a paladin/slayer

You really really have to watch out for ACG classes in a gestalt game or shit get broken fast. Like a fighter/slayer with 30+ feats

Gestalt is a 3.5 thing anyways, but considering hybrids are effectively minigestalts in their own right, it would be logical to have hybrids banned in Gestalt outright if you're forwardporting the rules in the first place - or at least to take up both sides of the progression, the same way theurge-style classes get banned in Gestalt.

Offline Eri Oni

• When you hit your lowest point, you are open to the greatest change.
  • Dame
  • Enchanted
  • Forged In Pain, Tempered In Death....
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
My favorite classes has always been Ninja and Ranger. I have yet to play the new classes that just came out but I have run games with them in it.

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2015, 07:27:31 AM »
I've never tried to run or play in a gestalt type game because I always thought the concept was...I dunno. Uninteresting, I suppose. I always used to really like getting into the story if the DM had a good one or the story of my character if not, and I had trouble wrapping my head around a gestalt character RPwise.

My occasional inability to reconcile RP with mechanics is also why I don't play rangers. Love them thematically, hate them mechanically.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
Gestalt was fun in 3.5 if you had a good setting/GM who could say no.

I played two gestalts in an Eberron setting
-Rhea Twiceborn. Fey'rhi Warlock/Bard. MASSIVELY fun.
-Kyrie. human Artificer/Fighter. Massive gear type. LOTS of feats and fun to play overtime

I personally wouldn't allow two hybrid classes as gestalt and most likely wouldn't allow ANY in a gestalt character. The sheer power would be awe inspiring. I mean.. WarPriest/Magus for example would get terrifying around 6-8th level when you get the arcana to share magus abilities with other classes spells + instant clerical melee buffs like righteous might, deadly juggernaught and such.

Offline Purple Dusk

« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »
If I may make a contribution, I've always found that the Gestalt rules slow games down and make characters complicated to track at the higher levels of the game, but it works well for the E6 rules (though being Pathfinder, a little modification is required.)

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
What are E6 rules?

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
E6, short for Epic 6, is a variant ruleset for D&D/PF where you stop gaining levels after level 6 - instead getting various perks/bonus feats/etc. It's meant to preserve the grittier, more balanced power level of low-level play while still allowing for a sense of progression and advancement.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Epic_6

Offline Purple Dusk

« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
E6, short for Epic 6, is a variant ruleset for D&D/PF where you stop gaining levels after level 6 - instead getting various perks/bonus feats/etc. It's meant to preserve the grittier, more balanced power level of low-level play while still allowing for a sense of progression and advancement.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Epic_6
What TheGlyphstone wrote!  :-)

Of course, because you have fewer abilities when you're capped off at 6th level, its one of the reasons I find the Gestalt works well with it.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2015, 10:23:47 PM »
Anyone else got to look at Pathfinder Unchained yet?

It's an awesome 'alternate rules' book. Revamped/polished takes on the Barbarian, Monk, Rogue and Summoner.

« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2015, 12:21:50 AM »
So in recent Pathfinder news, a few new interesting third party books came out.  I don't own any of them yet, so I can't comment on their quality.

Lords of the Night by Dreamscarred Press is all about vampires, including rules for playing as them, too.  I'm very intrigued if their vampire template is meant to be balanced with living PCs.

Strange Magic by Interjection Games reminds me of the Tome of Magic, in that it's a compilation of three alternate magic systems and corresponding classes.  Ethermagic is a spiritual successor of sorts to 3.5's warlock (I own the original ethermagic book), Composition is magical music, and Truename Magic is mastery of the First Language which can cover all portfolios.

Back in late April Legendary Games released 3 massive sourcebooks for new Mythic options.  Mythic Spell Compendium, Mythic Hero's Handbook, and the Mythic Monster Manual.  I'm especially interested in the last one.

Owen KC Stephens did a very good deed.  Not all OGL material in Paizo books are on the Pathfinder SRD, so he went and made a massive Feat Reference Document which takes feats from adventure paths, settings, player's companions, and the like all in one handy sourcebook!

I do own Path of War Expanded Subscription, which now has it's first class out.  The Harbinger is a seer of doom and has curse-based powers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:33:28 AM by Skynet »

« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
As a publisher's first (KickStarted) project, Heroes of Thornwall is a 160 page mini-setting meant to serve as a campaign starter for heroes of humble beginnings.

In spite of its size and production values, the PDF is free and only the physical hardcover costs anything.  I downloaded it, and in addition to looking nice it makes for a good 'starting town' for PCs.  One of the more innovative ideas it has is the Goodwill system, where PCs who help complete quests and aid townsfolk gain points which can be spent for in-game benefits.  This is meant to help tie the party to the locale as well as giving them incentive to help out folks beyond monetary reward.

What is weird about it for me is that it takes place in its own campaign setting, Aetaltis, and several of the new races have NPC stat blocks but no write-ups on how to play as them.  This feels odd for a campaign starter in that it ties into the history of the world which may not be present, and there are hints of a rising tide of darkness and a unique pantheon of gods.  It feels more like the first part of an adventure path or series of setting books.

But other than this, it's pretty much set in generic D&D fantasy land and should be broadly compatible with most low-level agrarian settings.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:48:52 PM by Skynet »