You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 11:34:21 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!  (Read 12468 times)

Offline SkynetTopic starter

Re: This thread is about Pathfinder RPG!
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Out of curiousity, did the 3rd party rendition of Book of Nine Swords come out yet?

It's coming out in parts, and I bought a subscription.  The full version isn't out yet, but 3 classes (the Stalker, Warlord, and Warder) are out, along with new feats and the martial disciplines.

« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »
Bump.

So, has anybody checked out The Emerald Spire superdungeon?  It's a massive adventure by Paizo set around the eponymous dungeon, and can take PCs from 1st to 13th level.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
Bump.

So, has anybody checked out The Emerald Spire superdungeon?  It's a massive adventure by Paizo set around the eponymous dungeon, and can take PCs from 1st to 13th level.

Yup. I got it as a kick starter sponsor. It rocks.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
I was tempted to pick it up today.  I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls.  Despite having run only one.  Undermountain.  I miss that box set.

But I got Ultimate Combat instead.

« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Okay, so the vast majority of my PF material is 3rd party stuff and a few of the "core books," with virtually no Golarion setting stuff.

For those who are Golarion loremasters, what products would you recommend that I pick up?  I want books which are good in fluff and provide new things beyond what the Inner Sea World Guide provides.  If they have a lot of game mechanics, I want them to be things I'd actually pick up beyond some gimmick builds.

Ideally, I was thinking getting Inner Sea Magic, Inner Sea Gods, the 3 Books of the Damned, Lost Kingdoms, Magnimar: City of Monuments, and Paths of Prestige.

Which of the location books would you most recommend (Worldwound, Osiron, Irrisen, etc)?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:32:58 PM by Skynet »

Offline Jeramiahh

« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »
Ideally, I was thinking getting Inner Sea Magic, Inner Sea Gods, the 3 Books of the Damned, Lost Kingdoms, Magnimar: City of Monuments, and Paths of Prestige.

Of these, I've had the chance to read through Inner Sea Gods and Paths of Prestige. I make a fair use of the gods in my games, so I quite enjoyed that one; it has a lot of the feel of Deities and Demigods from the older editions. Paths of Prestige, on the other hand, I didn't much care for. I'll admit I only borrowed a friend's copy and flipped through it, but only one or two of the PrCs even caught my eye as something I'd want to play. A couple more would make good NPCs, maybe, but that was all I got out of the book.

I find one of the best ways to explore the setting is the Adventure Paths, which do a fairly in-depth dive to a region of the world, with a very hands-on perspective, flavor, and feel for the region. I've been an AP subscriber for the last four years or so, and those have been the vast majority of my exposure to the setting at large.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »
Magnimar: City of Monuments?  That sounds intriguing, I like setting books...  Anyone have anything about that?  Other than the blurb at the Paizo site?  Which is a pain to read on.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
Magnimar: City of Monuments?  That sounds intriguing, I like setting books...  Anyone have anything about that?  Other than the blurb at the Paizo site?  Which is a pain to read on.

It is a city book, covering the Ephemeral Lord's/Statues, the history and various crunch as well as a few breakdowns of archetypes or such. Personally it's, in my opinion, okay.. there are better setting books in the campaign.  (People of the Sands for one)

If you're looking for info on Varisia.. the Varisian book is simlarly okay... I think you could get the Runelords campaign players guide and Inner Sea Guide.

They are.. okay.. setting books.

« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:25 PM »
Update to the Advanced Class Guide.

In spite of the Arcanist being overpowered, Paizo's not going to depower it.  If anything, it's archetypes seem to be stepping on the toes of other classes: the blade adept can gain access to magus arcana, the white mage can cast cure spells.  Quick Study in particular...it's just too much.

It's like they're trying to make it an all-in-one spellcaster package with all the benefits of a sorcerer and wizard, and none of the downsides.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:53:42 AM by Skynet »

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Welcome to 3.x?  And I thought someone was a Sorcerer fan in Paizo's team, so magic would get a favoured treatment.

(And I'm not trying to be sour grapes, but I remember at least one of the Paizo writers was a Sorcerer fan, and class fans do tend to get favoured treatments.  Like me, I like the Fighter, and I'd like to give the class some love, but at the same time, I do try to rein in my favourtism as best I can...  Not always successful, I guess.)

« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
So today I've just started a 1-on-1 Pathfinder game set in the land of Osiron.  The realms of northern and eastern Garund are quite cool, and would make for some pretty cool adventures in an Arabian Nights-like setting.

Anyway, would resources, both paid and free, would you recommend for these places?  I know that there's an Osiron sourcebook and adventure path in this land; same for Katapesh.  But what about Nex and the Mana Wastes?

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »
In other news, Paizo did a very nice and decent thing for one of their transgender fans.

This is way groovy. Wish I could share what I've seen of the Class Guide but. I will say this. I like most of it a LOT. Check the new iconics on Paizo.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
Specifically, Callie's talking about their shaman.

That is just this weeks addition. They've been adding awesome stories all the while.

Though a TG Dwarf Shaman is kinda interesting. :D Even without that facet.. I LOVE the whole settings, style and tempo of the Shaman's history.

« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
And now the Advanced Class Guide's been released.  I can't buy it right now, but what are people's impressions?

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »
I like the feel of it. you got the classes, archetypes of them AND the other classes, feats of all sorts and items.

You got combat feats, things like Tumor Familiar (for abberrant bloodline wizards), stye and team work feats as well as 'amateur' feats for both Investigator and Swashbuckler. One of my favorites is the anticipate dodge and counter reflex chain. (Anticipate counters a +2 dodge bonus, and counter reflexes counters modbility's dodge bonus in AoOs.)

Another one is Bookish Rogue (which gives you the ability to swap out the spells in minor/major magic  with any spells you have in your spellbook), Evolved Companion/Summoned Monster (adds 1 ep to each in turn).. LOTS of options.

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2014, 05:29:07 AM »
I don't really have my finger on the pulse as far as Pathfinder goes and get most of my news from the guy who's room I rent, who is...at best an okay GM and player. But he did pick up the Emerald Spire book and we started playing it. I've been having a lot of fun with it, my less than ideal group and a shitload of traps aside. I think part of my pleasure with it is the fact that I managed to suppress my urge to babysit by playing a cleric and play a class I actually want to for once.

Also, did anyone else playing Emerald Spire use diplomacy as an option to get past like entire levels? Cause I think the GM just expected us to fight our way through the entire time. But right at the start of the floor, we always saw that we would be fighting from a hugely disadvantagous position or facing huge numbers. Also, the luck was not with us the first like...hour or two of the session.

I completely forgot about the stuff I had read on here that you guys were talking about months ago when I was last active. I'm a sucker for new classes and variants, so this kind of stuff is always nice to read about. I'm gonna have to go and look at some stuff on their website.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
Well the official changes have hit my Warpreist a little. Simon, lost his focus weapon bump to BAB, so he is not quite as good at hitting with the sword as he was but his Fervor ability nearly doubled and the ability to swift action cast a personal spell, additional blessings, and a bit more in the way of Sacred Weapon most makes up for it.

Add in a trait that let's me add +1 to damage with any attack boosting spell (like Inheritors Smite) and that makes up for a lot.

I'll be able to hear more after today's Pathfinder Society game.

Offline Wheeler97

« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
I just happened across this thread and figured I'd say I'm about to start a game of Pathfinder with friends on this upcoming Monday. I'm excited. I've never done an RPG before. I hesitate to say "pen and paper" because we're using Roll20 to play online with webcams, etc. It's nice for me since I'm disabled and I won't have to worry about a ride and anything like that.

I've been reading a lot of the rules and character creation information online over the past few days. My group is going to do our character creation together in our first sessions, so I'll decide what role I'm going to fill then. I'm hoping to try a Ranger; I love archers in these kinds of settings.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Good luck, Wheeler!  I hope you have fun!

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Looking at the new classes on the SRD. I've heard a lot about poor balance. But thematically, I love the skald. How does it fair as far as balance?

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:46 AM »
Does it have magic?  If yes, it's godly.  If no, it's subpar.

Offline Zekromnomnom

« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
Oh, yeah, right, I guess I didn't really think about that too much as I was reading over them, but yeah, I could see how that would make sense.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Oh, yeah, right, I guess I didn't really think about that too much as I was reading over them, but yeah, I could see how that would make sense.

I dunno.  The swashbuckler seems pretty good.