Graphics Card Good Enough?

Started by Kythia, September 27, 2013, 05:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

OK, so I want to buy a computer game.  It has a requirement for a particular type of graphics card.  I've worked out what this is running and its not the same.  But I have no idea if its better or worse.  Is there some sort of list of graphics cards in order of graphic-card-osity or some sort of handy guide where you can plug in what you have, what you want and it'll tell you if it's good enough?

HairyHeretic

What card do you have, and what does it require?

This site might help

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It checks your machine and then tells you if you can run a particular game or not.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kythia

Awesome, thanks Hairy.  Apparently it's not good enough.  Well, there goes that idea.  If anyone can think of a birthday present for my boyfriend then PM me.

HairyHeretic

Have you checked what the price of a new gfx that would do the job would set you back?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kythia

I did, but that plus the cost of the game comes to more than I'd expect to spend in finding a new boyfriend and I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to cost/benefit analyses of birthday presents.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Tharic

Be careful going that route too (in terms of just getting a new graphics card) because often your power supply may not be big enough to handle it, depending on your machine.

IStateYourName

I can't vouch for total and perfect accuracy here, but this site seems to be reliable in terms of ranking GPUs/cards according to horsepower. 

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/