You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 08:51:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Tao of Pooh  (Read 677 times)

Offline DawgTopic starter

• Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • poena par sapientia
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
The Tao of Pooh
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:09:52 AM »
The Tao of Pooh

The adult is not the highest stage of development. The end of the cycle is that of the independent, clear-minded, all-seeing Child. That is the level known as wisdom. When the Tao te Ching and other wise books say things like, "Return to the beginning; become a child again" that's what they are referring to.

One of the basic principles of Taoism is P'U, the Uncarved Block. The essence of the Uncarved Block is that things in their original simplicity contain their own natural power, power that is easily spoiled and lost when that simplicity is changed. This principle applies not only to things, but to people as well. Or Bears. Pooh is the very Epitome of the Uncarved Block. When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few, other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun. Along with that comes the ability to do things spontaneously and have them work, odd as that may appear to others at times.

Nowhere and Nothing
an excerpt from the Tao of Pooh

So they began going there, and after they had walked a little way, Christopher Robin said:  "What do you like doing best in the world, Pooh?"

And of course, what Pooh liked doing best was going to Christopher Robin's house and eating.

"I like that too," said Christopher Robin, "but what I like doing best is Nothing."

"How do you do Nothing?" asked Pooh, after he had wondered for a long time.

"Well, it's what people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, What are you going to do, Christopher Robin, and you say, Oh, Nothing, and then you go and do it."

"Oh, I see," said Pooh.

"This is a nothing sort of thing that we're doing now."

"Oh, I see," said Pooh again.

"It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

To sum it all up; what my personal philosophy is and what brings me peace in life ..

I want to go fishing and care more about catching the minnows along the shore than the big bass in the lake. I want to return to a time when life was simple. When all I knew were my colors, the addition tables and simple nursery rhymes, but it didn't bother me because I didn't know what I didn't know; and I didn't care. 

I want to think that everyone, including myself will live forever because I don't know the concept of death. I want to be oblivious to the complexity of life, and be overly excited by the little things again. I want television to be something I watch for fun, not something I use for escape from the things I should be doing. I want to live knowing the little things I find exciting will always make me as happy as when I first learned them......

I want to think the world is fair, and everyone in it is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible. I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, dreams, the imagination, a kiss that makes a boo-boo go away, making angels in the snow, That Santa really reads my letter and will bring me what I want, and that my dad and Superman are the strongest people in the world.

Sometime, while I was maturing, I learned too much. I learned of nuclear weapons, prejudice, starving and abused kids, lies, unhappy marriages, illness, pain, mortality, terrorism and what the color "ORANGE" means when I see it on the news. I learned that Santa is my parents! 

I remember not seeing the world as a whole, but rather being aware of only the things that directly concerned me. I want to be nave enough to think that if I'm happy, so is everyone else. I want to walk down the beach and think only of the sand beneath my feet, and the possibility of finding that blue piece of sea glass I'm looking for. 

I want to spend my afternoons climbing trees and riding my bike, letting the grownups worry about time, the dentist, and how to find the money to fix the old car. I want to wonder what I'll do when I grow up, and what I'll be, who I'll be, and not worry about what I'll do if this doesn't work out.

I want that time back, so that when my computer crashes, or I have a mountain of paperwork, or two depressed friends, or a fight with my wife, or bittersweet memories of times gone by, or second thoughts about so many things, I can travel back, and build a snowman, without thinking about anything except whether the snow sticks together, and what I can possibly use for the snowman's mouth.

Your Thoughts please

Online Vekseid

Re: The Tao of Pooh
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:11:32 AM »
All I'll say is that the Te of Piglet is a far, far inferior work, just stick with the first book, srsly.

Offline Sherona

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
*smiles* I have only recently in the past weeks begun studying Taoism and I have to say the philosophy is facinating, and really kind of right up my alley so to speak. I have always been what many term as a 'follower', I tend to just do what seems natural, and any decisions that have to be made tend to be a gut reaction as I feel that the first instinct is generally the correct one.

I do believe that forcing one's way against what is natural for them is the source of malcontentment. I have been trying to be more social and open here lately and I have to tell you I have found nothing but stress and grief. Not because of the people, but because it was not -me-. I was forcing something my husband wanted me to try, and while I found the people to be for the most part accepting of my quirks and differences, I was not that happy and it resulted ultimately in a situation that I found to be upsetting and just stressful. Just a good example of trying to force one's will onto the natural course of things often times results in a intolerable situation.

Offline Greenthorn

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
*blinks*

Well doesn't everyone still make snow angels and go to the beach just to get smashed by the waves and then build sand castles (as opposed to seeing snow and thinking 'oh god I gotta shovel that', or going to the beach and thinking 'gotta suck in my gut and jut out my breasts because someone might be looking')...or am I seriously just what everyone would call...immature?  

Simplicity and fun are often mistaken for uncaring and aloofness and this annoys me.  Call my house at almost any time between 9am-11pm and you will hear dogs barking, kids laughing (probably at me), and a general craziness...because this is how I live...I laugh, giggle, smirk, and grin just as much in my RL every day as I do on here...

Cannon balls into the pool 20 times in a row...running through a sprinkler...going through a carwash -just- for entertainment...driving down I95 with the windows down and the stereo up singing as loud as one can...and....catching fireflies...these are things we all should do as much as possible...

I have my own philosophies which is why I rarely comment on topics such as religion and philosophy...

Offline Ket

• Electroslut Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • The Onion Queen - crispy fried goodness
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
I love doing Nothing!

Sure, I'm all adult like when I have to be, but I found that by worrying about the trivial every day mundane things, I lose my mind.  The little things in life still amaze me.  The big things astound me.  When I'm not at work, if I'm not enjoy myself, something is seriously wrong and I immediately change the situation.

I want to think the world is fair, and everyone in it is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible. I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, dreams, the imagination, a kiss that makes a boo-boo go away, making angels in the snow, That Santa really reads my letter and will bring me what I want, and that my dad and Superman are the strongest people in the world.

I remember not seeing the world as a whole, but rather being aware of only the things that directly concerned me. I want to be nave enough to think that if I'm happy, so is everyone else. I want to walk down the beach and think only of the sand beneath my feet, and the possibility of finding that blue piece of sea glass I'm looking for. 

I still think anything is possible, that there is power in smiles, hugs, etc, that kisses make boo-boos go away, and that when I'm happy, so are other people.  Sure I know it's not always true, but deep down I believe it! 

*blinks*

Well doesn't everyone still make snow angels and go to the beach just to get smashed by the waves and then build sand castles (as opposed to seeing snow and thinking 'oh god I gotta shovel that', or going to the beach and thinking 'gotta suck in my gut and jut out my breasts because someone might be looking')...or am I seriously just what everyone would call...immature? 

Simplicity and fun are often mistaken for uncaring and aloofness and this annoys me.

Cannon balls into the pool 20 times in a row...running through a sprinkler...going through a carwash -just- for entertainment...driving down I95 with the windows down and the stereo up singing as loud as one can...and....catching fireflies...these are things we all should do as much as possible...

I couldn't have said it any better. 

Offline DawgTopic starter

• Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • poena par sapientia
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »
Sure I know it's not always true, but deep down I believe it!
And never stop believing.  I did once and its an ugly place you never want to go to. Thankfully someone showed me how to believe again and I never stopped again since.

Offline Spookie Monster

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:32:15 AM »
I think that it's truly great that the Tao has begun to speak to you, Dawg.  And to you, too, Sherona!  Although I'm not a Taoist myself, I can appreciate many of Taoism's messages.  Have either of you been exploring Taoism further?

Spel

Offline Rhubarb

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
I read The Tao of Pooh back in high school, and was completely blown away by it; it's one of the few books I've read that's really changed the way I thought about things.

When it comes to The Te of Piglet, I have to agree with Vekseid that it is not as good as the original -- not because of the themes and the things it teaches, but because author Benjamin Hoff's personal hang-ups ruin a lot of what would otherwise have been a beautiful work. (Particularly the part about critics made me cringe; it just screamed "Here's what I think of you, all you bastard critics who gave my books poor reviews!")

That said, I can't fault (not too much, anyway) someone who came up the idea of using the Winnie-the-Pooh characters to explain the principles of Taoism; that was just a brilliant idea. It's at the same time complicated and simple, serious and funny, naive and insightful; just like the Pooh books, just like Taoism, and -- of course -- just like life itself.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:26:13 PM by Rhubarb »