So. I love Dungeon World. But other than one game that died out quickly I haven't really had a chance to play it here. I am thinking of running a game if there is sufficient interest. In the spirit of the game I want to leave things mostly undecided and then build a world around the characters that get submitted.
Some more information to help you figure out if you are interested!About Dungeon World
- It's a very awesome lite on mechanics big on fun sort of system.
- The entire up to date rule book is available in web format here -> http://book.dwgazetteer.com/index.html
- The PDF is cheap to buy and you can get it many places, including here -> http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/108028/Dungeon-World
- Most importantly Dungeon World
is extremely "hackable" meaning if we want to make up whole new abilities, problems, bonuses, etc, it is very easy to do!! A lot of flexibility here!!About Me
- I haven't GMed in many, many, years and will be rusty.
- I am not intimately familiar with the rules and will appreciate being corrected. On the other hand I will be happy to help anyone to the extent I can!
- I am all about making up new rules if the rules don't cover something, I hate saying 'you can't do that because I'm not sure what to roll'
- I love rolling on random tables for things like treasure and encounters! Unpredictable is fun!
- I like dangling multiple plot hooks and hiding others and basically doing all I can to make sure the PCs feel like it's their choice which of the many things to do. About You
- I am thinking five players is a good goal.
- Zero experienced required. But you must be willing to read and try to understand the rules!
- I like players who are proactive and have goals and ideas for their characters, who go out and find the adventure.
- I like players who can roll with the punches and tolerate failure, pick themselves up and try again (or try something else, or get revenge on the people who caused them to fail, etc)!
- Character conflict is okay to a certain extent (and can be very fun! and is pretty much inevitable due to the Bonds system) but this is a game about a group of heroes and anyone who decides to leave the group is basically writing themselves out of the story. I know I do not have time to run many separate solo games, so I won't. This is a group game!
- As part of character selection, you will have a large say in the creation of the world and setting itself. Please be the type that actively likes taking part in such things!About Your Characters
- I enjoy making the PCs the main attraction, the stars of the show, etc. I despise Mary Sue GMNPCs and will do all I can to avoid the temptation to insert any. You will have contacts, friends, enemies, etc, but they exist to make you seem awesome, not the other way around.
- I like games where the PCs start from very unassuming beginnings, and grow however they like. The starting setting will likely be a small town on the edges of civilization, although the details (edge of what civilization? why is it the edge? what's on the other side? how's that civilization doing? etc) will depend on what sort of characters are submitted.
- I like macro level stuff happening between adventures (training a militia, establishing your own merchant company, moving up the ranks in the thief guild, that sort of thing) to make the characters more interesting than just what happens "on stage" so to speak. About the Setting
- I like making a world based around the characters, e.g. if you are a cleric and you worship a certain god, that god and the associated religious beliefs are a big deal in ways you won't realize until much later on, basically the goal is to make castles out of the sand before the PCs start playing in the sandbox.
- Dungeon World is an old school rpg in terms of style and direction. While the setting I'm imagining is to a large degree a sandbox, there is going to be hacking and slashing at some point! There will be elves and dwarves and knights and goblins and all that fun stuff!
- Niche protection will be on.
- This will be PG-13 to R rated, I'm not going to be RPing sex scenes as NPCs or anything like that, there will be a "fade to black" if things get too steamy. I want it to be members only though, so it will probably go in "Light" group games.
And of course if anyone has any questions this or PM would be the place to ask! I think I have babbled enough now and hopefully not scared everyone off! Thanks for reading and hopefully will be hearing from you soon! =)