You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 11:03:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Dungeon World (Interest Check)  (Read 876 times)

Offline RedPhoenixTopic starter

Dungeon World (Interest Check)
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
So. I love Dungeon World. But other than one game that died out quickly I haven't really had a chance to play it here. I am thinking of running a game if there is sufficient interest. In the spirit of the game I want to leave things mostly undecided and then build a world around the characters that get submitted.

Some more information to help you figure out if you are interested!

About Dungeon World
- It's a very awesome lite on mechanics big on fun sort of system.
- The entire up to date rule book is available in web format here -> http://book.dwgazetteer.com/index.html
- The PDF is cheap to buy and you can get it many places, including here -> http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/108028/Dungeon-World
- Most importantly Dungeon World is extremely "hackable" meaning if we want to make up whole new abilities, problems, bonuses, etc, it is very easy to do!! A lot of flexibility here!!

About Me
- I haven't GMed in many, many, years and will be rusty.
- I am not intimately familiar with the rules and will appreciate being corrected. On the other hand I will be happy to help anyone to the extent I can!
- I am all about making up new rules if the rules don't cover something, I hate saying 'you can't do that because I'm not sure what to roll'
- I love rolling on random tables for things like treasure and encounters! Unpredictable is fun!
- I like dangling multiple plot hooks and hiding others and basically doing all I can to make sure the PCs feel like it's their choice which of the many things to do.

About You
- I am thinking five players is a good goal.
- Zero experienced required. But you must be willing to read and try to understand the rules!
- I like players who are proactive and have goals and ideas for their characters, who go out and find the adventure.
- I like players who can roll with the punches and tolerate failure, pick themselves up and try again (or try something else, or get revenge on the people who caused them to fail, etc)!
- Character conflict is okay to a certain extent (and can be very fun! and is pretty much inevitable due to the Bonds system) but this is a game about a group of heroes and anyone who decides to leave the group is basically writing themselves out of the story. I know I do not have time to run many separate solo games, so I won't. This is a group game!
- As part of character selection, you will have a large say in the creation of the world and setting itself. Please be the type that actively likes taking part in such things!

About Your Characters
- I enjoy making the PCs the main attraction, the stars of the show, etc. I despise Mary Sue GMNPCs and will do all I can to avoid the temptation to insert any. You will have contacts, friends, enemies, etc, but they exist to make you seem awesome, not the other way around.
- I like games where the PCs start from very unassuming beginnings, and grow however they like. The starting setting will likely be a small town on the edges of civilization, although the details (edge of what civilization? why is it the edge? what's on the other side? how's that civilization doing? etc) will depend on what sort of characters are submitted.
- I like macro level stuff happening between adventures (training a militia, establishing your own merchant company, moving up the ranks in the thief guild, that sort of thing) to make the characters more interesting than just what happens "on stage" so to speak.

About the Setting
- I like making a world based around the characters, e.g. if you are a cleric and you worship a certain god, that god and the associated religious beliefs are a big deal in ways you won't realize until much later on, basically the goal is to make castles out of the sand before the PCs start playing in the sandbox.
- Dungeon World is an old school rpg in terms of style and direction. While the setting I'm imagining is to a large degree a sandbox, there is going to be hacking and slashing at some point! There will be elves and dwarves and knights and goblins and all that fun stuff!
- Niche protection will be on.
- This will be PG-13 to R rated, I'm not going to be RPing sex scenes as NPCs or anything like that, there will be a "fade to black" if things get too steamy. I want it to be members only though, so it will probably go in "Light" group games.

And of course if anyone has any questions this or PM would be the place to ask! I think I have babbled enough now and hopefully not scared everyone off! Thanks for reading and hopefully will be hearing from you soon! =)

Offline Blythe

Re: Dungeon World (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
I am insanely interested. I'm new to Dungeon World, but I do have the PDF and am totally willing to learn the rules. I breezed through the book, and I'd be interested in playing either a paladin (a human) or a cleric (a dwarf). If I play a paladin, the gender of my character would be male, and if I play a dwarf, I'd play a female dwarf. Tossing that out there at the moment.

I'm all for world-building as well--I can read more of the PDF, and I can toss out a few ideas if there is some more interest.

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
So I might be interested in this I have glanced through some of the things on the site however the site does not have the  races and there is noway i can afford the pdf >.<  but  I still like the idea

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
I am insanely interested. I'm new to Dungeon World, but I do have the PDF and am totally willing to learn the rules. I breezed through the book, and I'd be interested in playing either a paladin (a human) or a cleric (a dwarf). If I play a paladin, the gender of my character would be male, and if I play a dwarf, I'd play a female dwarf. Tossing that out there at the moment.

I'm all for world-building as well--I can read more of the PDF, and I can toss out a few ideas if there is some more interest.

Woohoo! :D

So I might be interested in this I have glanced through some of the things on the site however the site does not have the  races and there is noway i can afford the pdf >.<  but  I still like the idea

Races are much easier in Dungeon World. It just changes one of your starting bonuses for the class you pick. Look under the class descriptions and you'll see how the races work. :)

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
Yes I did see that but  only certain races affect certain classes and it only has the races that  affect the class that is why I was asking.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
Yes I did see that but  only certain races affect certain classes and it only has the races that  affect the class that is why I was asking.

The basic rules allow for only certain races to play certain classes.

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
ok that's what I was thinking

I think I may do Bard or rouge.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:18:48 PM by Chaosfox »

Offline kckolbe

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
I always like new systems, and kinda like starting out mundane.  I'll check out the pdf.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
ok that's what I was thinking

I think I may do Bard or rouge.

Sorry but I've been waiting for an exucse to link http://grammarist.com/spelling/rogue-rouge/  ;D

I always like new systems, and kinda like starting out mundane.  I'll check out the pdf.

Cool! :D

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
Sorry about that That is one words I switch out the letter sometimes >.<

Offline kckolbe

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
Just downloaded it and started browsing through, and this is pretty cool.  Is multi-classing allowed (guessing it isn't)?

Offline Shjade

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »
Multi-classing is an option in most classes to a limited extent, kckolbe. Look at the Advanced Moves. Druids, for instance, have moves that let them pick a Ranger move instead. Fighters can pick up to two moves from any other class. And so on.

I'm a little tempted to basically port my DW character from that old story over here, at least stats-wise. It died before it even got started, really.

What's "niche protection?"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:11:25 PM by Shjade »

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
Multi-classing is an option in most classes to a limited extent, kckolbe. Look at the Advanced Moves. Druids, for instance, have moves that let them pick a Ranger move instead. Fighters can pick up to two moves from any other class. And so on.

Yup, this right here. :)

I'm a little tempted to basically port my DW character from that old story over here, at least stats-wise. It died before it even got started, really.

Yeah I was really looking forward to that. :(

What's "niche protection?"

Only one of each class.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Ah, okay.

Offline kckolbe

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:22 AM »
Well, if each class only gets one representative, then I suppose we should list what appeals to us.  I am fond of the Bard and Wizard, but fond of Ranger *if* I can choose different bonds.  My concepts for Bard and Ranger are very similar.

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:43 AM »
If that is the case I'm calling Thief now >.<

Offline TheRaven

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »
I was actually in on that last game (I think), but never really got a chance to play much since it died so quickly. I'd love to join if you've still got a spot open.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »
If that is the case I'm calling Thief now >.<

Just to clarify this is not first come first served.

Well, if each class only gets one representative, then I suppose we should list what appeals to us.  I am fond of the Bard and Wizard, but fond of Ranger *if* I can choose different bonds.  My concepts for Bard and Ranger are very similar.

You aren't required to use the bonds they list. If you can come up with some that are just as good or better I'd happily let you use those.

I was actually in on that last game (I think), but never really got a chance to play much since it died so quickly. I'd love to join if you've still got a spot open.

So far this is still in interest check so yes and as I said its not going to be whoever posts first gets in. So yes there is definitely still room!

Offline Chaosfox

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
Sorry about that last post I wasn't  100% there  in my head when I made it >.<

Offline kckolbe

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
Thanks Red.  So it looks like there are three classes I am down for playing, should give us a little flexibility when working out our group.  If I do play a Ranger, he won't be very nature focused, though.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
So yeah, just to give people a better idea of scheduling I was thinking of leaving the interest check open for a few more days after which if there were enough interested people to choose a cast from I'd start the actual recruitment by asking people for character concepts, which would be open for probably about a week, and then choosing the group that I think would be the most fun from that, assuming there are enough to choose from.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
Holy crap, so glad I didn't miss this!  Sign me up!

Edit: I should probably put some of my actual ideas for what to play, huh?

One concept I had for a bard is a bit off the beaten path.  Rather than a conventional instrument, my idea was more that she has just enough magic in her elven blood to be able to pull off the minor spell of creating music from the air.  It'd be obviously arcane and brought forth with her gestures but have no real mechanical differences other than being awesome.

I imagine that she was deemed not smart enough to be a mage and not pious enough to be a cleric, so she ended up running off by herself in an attempt to find a name for herself.  With an elven name too long and difficult for non-elves to easily remember or pronounce, she's adopted the nickname Aria.

If that works, awesome, and if not, I can throw together quite a few others.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:57:40 PM by AndyZ »

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »
You're ahead of yourself! Right now I am just gathering up interested people! If you want to start talking ideas, feel free! I know not everyone checks this board very often so I want to give people the chance to think about it and not feel like they have to run to catch up!

I am in no rush to get this off the ground, if this starts I want it to last for awhile (every game I've seen jump right in dies almost instantly). In fact I think it's safe to say most group games lose half their members in the first month and, well, to be quite candid I'd rather that happen during the interest check/recruitment than the actual game!

Probably this weekend or maybe a little sooner...or later depending on how people show interest...I will post a prompt for pitching character concepts and then people who want to actually apply can take it from there! That will be open for at least a week to give people time to think up what they want to play. Good to see what people are thinking though and I have to admit I was half expecting this to just flop so yay for all the interest so far! :)

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Ah, fair enough ^_^  And I know the feeling about games dying; it's mostly stopped me from trying to run games myself.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
Hmm. Well things kind of died. Looks like there is not sufficient interest. Oh well, thanks everyone who posted. Maybe some say we will get a dw group together.