News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Cursor moves back randomly when I type.

Started by Sofina, August 31, 2013, 09:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofina

I am having a problem with the insertion cursor when I type. It randomly moves to another part of the text and I end up replacing  text already typed. I am using an external mouse just in case i was moving the cursor by accidentally coming in contact with the touch pad.

It's driving me crazy because I can type a whole paragraph and then it will do it a few times in the same line.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
We all choose what path we follow..... Come down mine sometime. 

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Oniya

Does plugging in the external mouse deactivate your touchpad?  I've seen laptops where it doesn't.  Try placing a piece of stiff paper (an old greeting card or an envelope) over the touchpad and see if that lessens the behavior.  Also, make sure that there isn't any cruft under your arrow keys (a can of compressed air is handy, although most keyboards can have their keys popped off and replaced.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sofina

I've checked but it looks like I cant lock the touch pad, since its being happening I've been careful to type without resting my hands near the touchpad.

If i reloaded the keyboard drivers do you think that might help?, its really driving me crazy lol. I will try what you suggested anyway.

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Oniya

Honestly, I have no idea if reloading the drivers would help.  You might also check that nothing is getting in the way of your mouse's sensors.  I sometimes see strange behavior when something as common as a hair gets lodged across the optic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Sofina on August 31, 2013, 10:33:41 PM
I've checked but it looks like I cant lock the touch pad, since its being happening I've been careful to type without resting my hands near the touchpad.

If i reloaded the keyboard drivers do you think that might help?, its really driving me crazy lol. I will try what you suggested anyway.

I have a touchpad on my laptop that does this.  Even a stray arm brush can do this.  Cover the touchpad if you can't turn it off, or disable the touchpad in your settings.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Sofina

Thank you, I wish they would have put a way of disabling the touch pad, i will try and cover with card, the mouse seems OK, its cordless USB and the batteries are new.

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Sofina

well I've managed to disable the touch pad in setting, so hopefully, fingers crossed it will solve the problem, thank you everyone for your help xx

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Vekseid

Quote from: Sofina on August 31, 2013, 09:10:33 PM
I am having a problem with the insertion cursor when I type. It randomly moves to another part of the text and I end up replacing  text already typed. I am using an external mouse just in case i was moving the cursor by accidentally coming in contact with the touch pad.

It's driving me crazy because I can type a whole paragraph and then it will do it a few times in the same line.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Does your mouse pointer remain still while your cursor moves?

Sofina

Yeah it does Vek. But I've found a way to disable the touchpad so it's working a treat thanks xx

Big hugs for the site xx

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs