You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 11:52:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Autism or Affectation?  (Read 10131 times)

Offline mookestink

Re: Autism or Affectation?
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
I was curious if there was a link between autism and suicide.  I dunno if one exists.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
Reading back over that, simply highlights the fact that people need to be more careful in what they say!

I read the whole sequence fresh and while looking at it in total it is obvious what Mookestink meant, taking each post in isolation it is also easy to see where the misconception came from!

In fact, a quick google search reveals this:
http://www.autism-help.org/family-suicide-depression-autism.htm

Autism can lead to depression, which can in turn lead to thoughts of suicide.  I have no idea what the statistic is, I have notr read that article nor have I done more research. However, there clearly is a causal link.

Online DashenkaTopic starter

« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »

Autism can lead to depression, which can in turn lead to thoughts of suicide.  I have no idea what the statistic is, I have notr read that article nor have I done more research. However, there clearly is a causal link.

Well then the way I see it, depression can lead to suicide. Autism can lead to depression so autism can lead to suicide but that's not a direct link or connecting. People get depressed over many things.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:43 PM »
Well then the way I see it, depression can lead to suicide. Autism can lead to depression so autism can lead to suicide but that's not a direct link or connecting. People get depressed over many things.

Dasha, that's like saying there is no direct link between guns and death... Guns can be used to shoot people and being shot can result in death...

Just because people also get killed in car crashes, doesn't mean that guns don't cause death!

The fact that autism can cause suicide is a link, however tenuous.

How many autistic people commit suicide is something I don't know. I would imagine that the number is quite small, because people with severe autism are monitored and medicated anyway, and those of us with mild symptoms would generally be able to recognise the signs of depression and do something about it... At least in so far as anyone would.

I think the issue here is not whether there is a link, but whether there is a quantifiable link? As with the link between smoking and cancer, there needs to be a sufficiently large population study of people with Autism and people who commit suicide to see if there is any reasonable correlation or whether the autism was merely a factor in the suicide.

As an interesting aside, there was a doctor in the UK a while back published a study he had done that claimed a link between the MMR vaccine and autism, resulting in a measles epidemic. The study was in fact proved to be false. He had checked how many children with autism had received the MMR jab and found a positive correlation of 100%! He then did a limited test in one small section of the population to see how many of those who had recieved the MMR jab had developed autism. His sample was deliberately small, and all those positives had actually developed autism from other causes, which he chose to disregard.

My point is that for there to be a quantifiable link, there needs to be a sufficiently large data sample.

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »
I have Autism as well (high functioning) and Aspergers. *shrugs* it doesn't bother me. I am a very quiet person with my nose in a book a lot. I also spend a lot of time doing ritual behaviors. If I tap on something with my right hand more then once I have to do it with me left hand as well. And vice versa....my god It can eb a pain sometimes when It happens while I am typing. >_>

Still I do my best to manage myself and be a productive member of society.  :P

So never fear, just because you have something doesn't mean it defines you.

Offline Caehlim

« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
My older brother has been diagnosed with Aspergers, I used to go with him to a lot of the Autism Association social activities and I've met a lot of people on the Autism spectrum. I have no idea whether I would be diagnosed with it myself or not, since I do seem to share a lot of the typical traits myself although it seems to cause a little less difficulty for myself than for my brother which is why I've never bothered to see a psychologist.

Offline Sabby

« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
Having a strange problem... I haven't changed my medication, so I'm not sure what could have prompted this. I'm mostly the same, still very cold to peoples feelings, but I'm finding that extreme displays of emotion kick my empathy into over drive :/ It's like a I have an empathy threshold and won't feel a thing up until a certain point.

I just saw a cartoon where a bulldog thought a kitten had died. The crying was ridiculously overacted, so it wasn't supposed to illicit a real reaction, but for some reason the excess just did something to me. I don't like it.

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:04 AM »
Hello my fellow Elliquiyans,

yesterday, 2 April, 2015, was World Autism Day.

Now I don't want to sound bitter or anything but when it's world ALS day, people throw buckets over their heads and on Cancer or Heart day, people run marathons or something but Autism day seems to have passed reasonably quiet.

I feel that autism in general it's still overlooked and ignored mostly, especially to those who are not 'visibly' autistic. Whatever the hell that means.

Which bothers me cause I'm getting worse and worse with it and I seem to be unable to break out of my daily rhythm and the harder I try, the more nervous I get, so I just stick to it. Which results in a lot of disagreement with other people who say I should stop being a wuss and man up. Which pisses me off even more and makes me even more nervous, which isn't doing any good at all to my already limited communication skills.

Speaking of a downward spiral.

Oh well.

*rant ends*

And a happy belated world autism day people. We deserve it and we know it. I guess.

Offline Dimir

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2015, 05:41:21 AM »
I admit that I have high-functioning autism and didn't realize that yesterday was World Autism Day. :(

Offline Ephiral

• The Firebrand Logica | Gender Ninja | Their Toy
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Location: In between the lines, outside of the law, underneath the veil
  • Carpe diem per sol delenda.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:42 PM »
Was away so missed this; wasn't aware of the day either. On a brighter note, we've still got Autistic Pride Day coming up in nine days (which I also just discovered). Seems more worth celebrating, really.

« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »
Happy 8th annual world autism awareness day to us all!

Online AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Fantasy Novelist ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
I've taken online tests before and showed up as being a couple of points outside the spectrum, so if they have any kind of accuracy, I'm kind of borderline on the spectrum. There are a lot of behaviours I identify with, but it's not really something I think about or discuss that much. I can live my life and no one would know, more than likely. It's mainly just the social stuff that's been bugging me lately. I tend toward being a hermit.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:51:19 AM by AmberStarfire »

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »
I've taken online tests before and showed up as being a couple of points outside the spectrum, so if they have any kind of accuracy, I'm kind of borderline on the spectrum. There are a lot of behaviours I identify with, but it's not really something I think about or discuss that much. I can live my life and no one would know, more than likely. It's mainly just the social stuff that's been bugging me lately. I tend toward being a hermit.

I wouldn't put my faith 100% in an online test, id recommend seeing an actual doctor trained and who studied up on the subject. And even they don't get it right all of the time.

Online AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Fantasy Novelist ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »
If I see one for another reason I might, but I don't see it as problematic enough to warrant it.

If I want to be more social, I can go out and do that, but I just don't feel much inclination to be (and it's not depression because I'm actually quite happy). I know it's good for me to get out a bit though so I do every so often.

Offline Atropus

« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »
I can offer some advice, although I fear I might have missed the bulk of the discussion, and I suspect our experiences (I'd been diagnosed when I was seven) might have been radically different (I was, apparently 'high' on the spectrum). While now (I'm in my early twenties) I don't initially show as many signs of the condition I displayed when I was much longer, I tend to explain it as a rather genuine effort on my part to 'improve'. While you might initially have had difficulties, observation and effort eventually leave you with enough coping strategies to get on in regular life fairly well, even if in my own case I still come off as 'extremely eccentric'. Condensing that down, it tends to be easier to explain it as 'solid work' on your own part, although it can depend on severity, and how you coped in the earl-... I'm rambling, apologies.

In short? I imagine you worked hard to cope with your condition, or to avoid it disrupting you when possible. Aside from that, I've pointed out my inability to do certain things, such as eat, when it'd be sudden and distracting from a current task, which tends to startle and, in essence, gives any would be questioners an example of how Aspergers is different from simply being indecisive. Again, sorry if this seems...rambling, I've always had trouble putting the condition into precise words even after growing up with it.

Also, 'Hi'... I should have started with that shouldn't I?

Offline Hunter

« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Asperger's Syndrome can be a very tough to identify correctly.   I know this from personal experience and even then it took a very skilled psychologist several years to figure out that this was part of the issues that I've been dealing with every day since I was about 8.   Asperger's, like any other form of Autism, is typically stacked with more than one symptom.   It's not usual (such as in my case) that Asperger's will also include other mental conditions (again in my case I have Bipolar Depression stacked on top of it).  I've been fully disabled due to the cocktail I have since the middle of 2010 (after being forced to live on the streets for a while) so what I've found helps the most is to have a support structure.

For most people, that's family and/or friends to lean upon.   Autism doesn't make you weak, though other people may think you that way.   What it does is give you a different perspective on things, even if you really can't socialize for more than a few hours at a time.

The key, I think, is to accept then learn and then adjust.     You're young enough, and it sounds like you have a family that still cares about you.    So, don't give up!