A World Without Heroes (Interest Check) (1 more Female Needed!)

Started by OHWceta, August 24, 2013, 11:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

Oh I do think this place needs a villian and doomsday is such a fun name to work with... going to cook up something
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

OHWceta

Carlissa - approved.

Google- Doomsday is currently the only villain I have written out. I'll have more later on.

I really need to start work on Hanzo.
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.
http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Carlissa

But I'm not even done yet! X(

I'll start working on it now.
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

OHWceta

Just saying "so far, so good"

I dont see any issues making her incompatable with the RP based on what you have so far.
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.

Carlissa

Okay. I'm working on her bio now, but it's not looking too much better than what I have posted. xD

I'm still trying to figure out how advanced her technology is, and how she will be able to watch the hereos' backs at all times. I'm kind of stuck on that part since I'm not sure how much access she can have to outside technology. At first I could explain that she has access to a satellite of some kind, which would be a good explanation on how she can observe the entire city with minimal equipment. But the question remains on how she has personal access to a satellite that is able to get highly detailed images of what's happening miles away without any delay. I would imagine that she could be using a NASA satellite or something, but how she could use it without NASA knowing is beyond me. I would imagine that NASA wouldn't appreciate unauthorized civilians using their technology to spy on criminals, no matter the cause.

Another option would be to simply hack already existing cameras around the city, like traffic light cameras and such. But again, I'm not sure how she could do this without getting into trouble. I would imagine the police force would have some sort of software that would prevent hacking into their computers, and would be able to trace the origin of the hack to my character.

Of course, you could simply say that she installed her own cameras all over the city. But this brings up some problems as well, like how she got the money for so many cameras and how did she install them. I wouldn't see why she would need to install so many cameras if her original plan was to be a solo hero.

I'm not entirely sure how to make this work without making her too unbelievable...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

TheHangedOne

I dunno. Personally, I'd chalk it up to incompetence on the part of the police, preventing them from noticing her activity.  Or maybe they've got their hands full with Red Phantom, and he's more of a priority since he's specifically targeting and killing cops. And hey, who knows, maybe he inadvertently killed one of the police tech support dudes, and they just haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Just some ideas, feel free to use, abuse, or ignore as you see fit.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Carlissa

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 26, 2013, 08:08:12 PM
I dunno. Personally, I'd chalk it up to incompetence on the part of the police, preventing them from noticing her activity.

Eh... I doubt the police are that incompetent that they would overlook a security breach in their systems. I mean, there is too much at risk for them to ignore somebody hacking their cameras and stuff.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 26, 2013, 08:08:12 PM
Or maybe they've got their hands full with Red Phantom, and he's more of a priority since he's specifically targeting and killing cops.

How do they know that Deedee isn't working with Red Phantom? She could be giving him valuable information that's allowing him to outdo the cops. By getting to her, they could be getting to Red Phantom as well.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

MzHyde

People managed to figure out that pay phones used different frequencies of tones to tell when change was placed in it and they replicated those tones with a whistle that came in boxes of Cap'n Crunch. Free long distance with a plastic toy.

I don't think saying someone can hack cameras remotely without being detected is much of a stretch. There's probably some 15 year old out there that can do it right now.

Countdown0

Maybe Deedee has a thing going on a bit lit in The Dark Knight, where Batman has it set up so that he can use everyone's technology to locate and identify people. She could hack into people's phones and listen in on their conversations or us the cameras on the phones to watch what's going on. Just say that she uses satellites, and maybe she creates computer viruses that don't cause shutdowns or systems failures, but simply erase any trails that might have been left so that when she hacks into something, no one can track her, and maybe the virus sends her updates on the security of systems that she has hacked into, making it easier for her to return later on.

Just a thought :P
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Hotaru37

I am interested.  I will try and get a character post up tomorrow after I am done work.   ;D
"All who wander are not lost."  Some just enjoy the adventure of seeking the unknown.  ^^                

Ons and Offs/A/A's/My Rabbit Hole

Carlissa

Quote from: MzHyde on August 26, 2013, 08:30:21 PMI don't think saying someone can hack cameras remotely without being detected is much of a stretch. There's probably some 15 year old out there that can do it right now.

Really? I would think that something like security cameras and traffic cameras would have more... security behind it. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, but can't hacking cameras be easily exploited, and therefor would be made so that hacking would be harder, and that identifying a breach in the system would be easier? I don't know much about hacking to begin with though, so maybe I'm just thinking too much of it...

Quote from: Countdown0 on August 26, 2013, 08:32:41 PM
Maybe Deedee has a thing going on a bit lit in The Dark Knight, where Batman has it set up so that he can use everyone's technology to locate and identify people. She could hack into people's phones and listen in on their conversations or us the cameras on the phones to watch what's going on. Just say that she uses satellites, and maybe she creates computer viruses that don't cause shutdowns or systems failures, but simply erase any trails that might have been left so that when she hacks into something, no one can track her, and maybe the virus sends her updates on the security of systems that she has hacked into, making it easier for her to return later on.

It's a clever idea, but Deedee doesn't have the resources that Mr. Wayne had. I don't want to start Deedee off with too much tech, since she will primarily be using old computers her father made and robots she made using low-end materials. As the RP goes on she could get access to higher end technology, maybe as spoils of war or from a rich member of the group.

How did Batman even do that anyway? Did he use his own satellite?

MzHyde

Look up Kevin Mitnick or Kevin Poulson. Poulson cheated phones as I described above - and didn't need a whistle. He hacked a radio stations phone lines so he'd win contests by being the right caller. He hacked phone company databases, stole classified information, and was even the target of an FBI manhunt. And look at the PSN debacle - hackers crippled the entire network for weeks with ddos attacks. Even the FBI itself has had it's systems attacked. So, yeah, cameras shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Carlissa

Quote from: MzHyde on August 26, 2013, 10:43:58 PM
Look up Kevin Mitnick or Kevin Poulson. Poulson cheated phones as I described above - and didn't need a whistle. He hacked a radio stations phone lines so he'd win contests by being the right caller. He hacked phone company databases, stole classified information, and was even the target of an FBI manhunt. And look at the PSN debacle - hackers crippled the entire network for weeks with ddos attacks. Even the FBI itself has had it's systems attacked. So, yeah, cameras shouldn't be much of a stretch.

0_0

Jeez, that's some crazy hacking right there.

I wasn't originally planning for my character to be a hacker in the first place, but I guess it would be a very useful ability to add to her arsenal...

TheHangedOne

Quote from: MzHyde on August 26, 2013, 10:43:58 PM

To add to this, it took a long time to find the parties responsible for these attacks, too; and most of the time, the majority of people behind said attacks went uncaught. They were also using civilian grade equipment and the like, too; nothing too exotic.

There are also plenty of ways DeeDee could spoof her identity so that the police are running in circles, or they think the perpetrator is in, say... Hong Kong.

Here's another idea, too: maybe, if you're not overly familiar with it all, you might want to make a different character. Or maybe you could just consult with me, or MzHyde if she is comfortable with it, on what you want to do, and we can figure it out for you...
Check out my poet tree!

Countdown0

Hacking would definitely make it easier for her to keep an eye on things the way you want her to, since she wouldn't just have to rely on her own technology, but on that of others as well :D

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

MzHyde

And she doesn't just have to be a hacker. "Social engineer" is a good skill to have. Some "hacking" doesn't require a computer - you just have to know how to talk to people. Be easygoing and familiar with someone, pretend like you belong there, have confidence, etc. You can con people out of stuff and get into places you shouldn't be. She could be like the modern day equivalent of a D&D character with high charisma. If it interests you, read Wizzywig by Ed Piskor, it's a comic story about a hacker who is an amalgamation of most of those dudes we were talking about. It's like $15, for the three hundred page comic and it's really good. I also recommend Infinite Kung-Fu, but that's for entirely unrelated kung fu reasons.

TheHangedOne

There's also the movie Hackers, which can be found online easily enough. Sure, it takes liberties with how things work--what movie doesn't?--but it also gives some good examples of things that can be done.

It also, within the first twenty minutes of the movie, features some social engineering, as Mz brought up.
Check out my poet tree!

Carlissa

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 26, 2013, 11:10:27 PM
Here's another idea, too: maybe, if you're not overly familiar with it all, you might want to make a different character. Or maybe you could just consult with me, or MzHyde if she is comfortable with it, on what you want to do, and we can figure it out for you...

Well, one of the reasons I'm doing a character like this is because... well, I've never really played a character like this before. That is, a character that focuses primarily on technology. I thought it would be a fun character to play, so I thought it was worth giving a shot.

I don't mean to hold the other players back or anything. I'm just having a little trouble wrapping my head around the whole concept of the character. That doesn't mean I can't play the character or anything. I just want to make a believable character that isn't too unconvincing given the setting of the RP.

Quote from: MzHyde on August 26, 2013, 11:30:43 PM
And she doesn't just have to be a hacker. "Social engineer" is a good skill to have. Some "hacking" doesn't require a computer - you just have to know how to talk to people. Be easygoing and familiar with someone, pretend like you belong there, have confidence, etc. You can con people out of stuff and get into places you shouldn't be. She could be like the modern day equivalent of a D&D character with high charisma.

That's an interesting ability to have. I would like to see an ability like this develop over time instead of have it right off the bat though. Maybe in one mission she is forced to step out of her comfort zone (in front of her computers in a dark room) for the greater good of her team. She has to confront an enemy she cant attack with her computers, and is forced to come out from her allies' shadows and into the face of danger...

...Or maybe I'm thinking too dramatically...

OHWceta

Sorry, had a lot going on at work so I wasn't much help on the subject.   :-\

Quote from: LordHarketh193 on August 25, 2013, 09:54:31 PM
SO....
The only villain here, should be fun XD
I'm going to be attacked by everyone, that means squabbles of who's going to get to take me in or whatever and that means sneaking away like i do.

Unfortunately everyone will be busy chasing after the RP's only female (who's interested in them, we have 2 females but one's a lesbian and will be chasing after the other girl as well    >:)   )

Carlissa

Daww, I'm flattered! *blush*

Hotaru37 said she'll be making a character, so maybe she'll add another female to the group.

LordHarketh193

Quote from: OHWceta on August 27, 2013, 11:05:38 AM
Sorry, had a lot going on at work so I wasn't much help on the subject.   :-\

Unfortunately everyone will be busy chasing after the RP's only female (who's interested in them, we have 2 females but one's a lesbian and will be chasing after the other girl as well    >:)   )

LOL

well makes my villain life a lot better XD
steal them blind while they race off after the women, best plan ever.
XD

OHWceta

Quote from: Carlissa on August 27, 2013, 12:14:25 PM
Daww, I'm flattered! *blush*

Hotaru37 said she'll be making a character, so maybe she'll add another female to the group.

I also have a female character I'll be adding later (A civilian so not in the Hero ranks) Though I cant exactly hook her up with one of mine, it'd be like RPing with myself   lol.

LordHarketh193

Quote from: OHWceta on August 27, 2013, 01:09:25 PM
I also have a female character I'll be adding later (A civilian so not in the Hero ranks) Though I cant exactly hook her up with one of mine, it'd be like RPing with myself   lol.

LOL, i bet you could do it but it'd be weird XD
Solo rp indeed

Carlissa

Well, I'm perfectly fine being the center of attention for the heroes. I'm usually pushed off to the side when it comes to romance, so it might be a nice change.

Countdown0

Quote from: LordHarketh193 on August 27, 2013, 12:38:20 PM

LOL

well makes my villain life a lot better XD
steal them blind while they race off after the women, best plan ever.
XD

Bryan wont be distracted. He's a very focused individual, but since he's not going to know the other heroes at the start, he probably wont be keeping an eye on their stuff while you steal it.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's