News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Al Jazzeera America

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 21, 2013, 11:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

It's up and running. Anyone got it as part of their package?

I'm curious as to the content.

ShadowFox89

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/20/al-jazeera-america-launches/2679407/

AT&T is already showing Al Jazeera how American media corporations play... dirty, slimy, and disgusting.

Then there's this:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/20/can-al-jazeera-make-it-here/?test=latestnews
But can Al-Jazeera America, which launched Tuesday, deliver the goods? And will people watch a channel owned by the royal family of oil-rich Qatar?
The fledgling network has proven adept at one thing so far: spending money. By opening the checkbook, it has lured such former network stars as John Seigenthaler, Joie Chen, Ali Velshi and Soledad O’Brien, along with top executives and producers.

But, really, can we expect anything less than hypocritical bullshit from fox news?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

gaggedLouise

Added al Jazeera International to the cable tv roll a few years ago, it's the UK-based counterpart of the American outlet, and in English too. Not the same channel that's seen in the Middle East, I've heard some saying the "western" one is better, has higher journalistic standards, but it's hard to know what goes into that kind of assessment, I guess it deoends a lot on who is saying it, what they expect.  I've been watching it now and then, especially about the Arab spring of course.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Pumpkin Seeds

Kind of wonder how Fox has the balls to ask that question when their company is owned by oil rich families.

Kythia

From the first of ShadowFox's sources:

Quote"It's not unusual for a newly launched network to carry a lighter ad load as they get off the ground," said David Campanelli, senior vice president and director of National TV at Horizon Media, a media buyer firm. [Al-Jazeera], in particular, comes with additional questions for advertisers regarding the perception of the network by the general public.

What is this referring to?  What is the perception of Al-Jazeera? 

I use Al-Jazeera English regularly and usually manage to get through an article a day on the main site as part of learning Arabic

Retribution

I view Al-Jazeera as I imagine many of you view Fox News. They certainly have freedom of speech and can be out there but I have no intention of watching them or encouraging them. I view it as terrorist propaganda just like many view Fox News as right wing propaganda to keep the analogy going.

Oniya

I find that somewhere between 'our' propaganda and 'their' propaganda, there's usually something closer to the truth.  If no one is reporting it directly, an indirect route is the only way to find it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

meikle

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on August 22, 2013, 08:26:46 AM
Kind of wonder how Fox has the balls to ask that question when their company is owned by oil rich families.

Projection!
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kythia

Funnily enough, a lot of people in the Arab world criticise al-Jazeera for it's pro-American bias. 

Hades

I haven't seen any of the broadcasts for the al-Jazeera America programming yet, and probably won't for quite awhile unless they have a webcast as well given the reluctance of my cable company to add any new programming of any sort.

That being said, I do visit the english version of al-Jazeera's website fairly frequently because I have found it to be one of the more accurate and unbiased news outlets available.  No organization is completely without bias of course, but I think aJE (al-Jazeera English) does a pretty good job of filtering the worst of it out.  They are reporting on stories that the mainstream media in America rarely even mentions, such as more trouble at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan, the trial of a former high ranked party official in China and the release of Mubarak in Egypt.

I don't know how the arabic version of the organization is, but the english version at least seems to be interested in genuine journalism rather than the punditry parading as journalism that our media has predominately turned into over the years.

Callie Del Noire

Apparently it's a premium channel down here in florida. So to get it I'd have to pay for a 'premiere' package of like 90 channels I never use.

Ephiral

Quote from: Retribution on August 22, 2013, 10:54:29 AM
I view Al-Jazeera as I imagine many of you view Fox News. They certainly have freedom of speech and can be out there but I have no intention of watching them or encouraging them. I view it as terrorist propaganda just like many view Fox News as right wing propaganda to keep the analogy going.
The difference: Those of us who criticize Fox News have actually seen it and the depths to which it will sink. You admit in this post that you can't say the same - and from what I've seen of Al-Jazeera English, that's because they don't sink to anywhere near the same lows. Calling it "terrorist propaganda", especially sight unseen? That's just fucking racist, dude.

Callie Del Noire

The analogy fails in that Al Jazeera has never publicly claimed the right to lie to their viewers or that it was okay for some VP in their corporate structure to out someone public because the VP decided who was 'worthy' of journalistic protections.

Al Jazeera has some issues yes. But honestly, the few bits I read on their AJ-English site was usually for balanced and fair compared to the same story on Fox.

Do I trust the service 100%? No. I don't trust any single service 100% either.

Hades

I found this article on the front page of the al-Jazeera America website, and since it involves my home state I was curious of their coverage.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/8/22/in-kentucky-poorfamilieshitbybudgetcuts.html

Talking about the poor and how budget cuts at the state level is going to impact them disproportionately.   Clearly, it's a terrorist propaganda ploy.

meikle

Cypher - Ignorance is bliss

O and O and Discord
A and A

Retribution

Against my better judgement I am going to reply to this. This will be my last reply end story. But I said I had not watched -not- that I do not know anything about. There is a distinct difference and Al-Jazeera has on numerous occasions posted what can only be described as terrorist manifestos often times by known terrorists.

Here are some links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_controversies_and_criticism

http://www.meforum.org/3147/al-jazeera

I know those of you inclined to have differing views than me will see well that said links support your own views.  That is indeed fine, but my point is we can have differing views and it does not make any of us racist or more enlightened. And spare me the there is a difference between which Al Jazzeera song and dance they are owned by the same company and I am familiar with corporate shell games and how they work.

For those with short memories Al Jazzeera in the past has also published writings of wanted terrorists. I do not think they got said writings by utterly clean sources so call me jaded. I actually feel the same about Fox News in many cases. The point is I do not dispute their right to have a news channel what have you. I simply do not wish to support such a group. And in business ultimate support is in buying the product or in this case watching the show.

Last time I checked that was my own freedom of expression and right to the space between my own ears so do not call me racist because of it. Quite frankly that allegation off the cuff pisses me to fuck off. I have my reasons for choosing not to support this company. That is my right and freedom, at the same time I do not deny their right and freedom to say, publish whatever they wish.

meikle

QuoteLast time I checked that was my own freedom of expression and right to the space between my own ears so do not call me racist because of it. Quite frankly that allegation off the cuff pisses me to fuck off. I have my reasons for choosing not to support this company. That is my right and freedom, at the same time I do not deny their right and freedom to say, publish whatever they wish.

I am sure you understand that your right to free speech comes with the right of other people to criticize you for what you say.

That Middle East forum link...

QuoteAccordingly, it urges active measures to protect Americans and their allies. ... working for Palestinian acceptance of Israel; robustly asserting U.S. interests vis-à-vis Saudi Arabia;

Yeah this sounds like an unbiased source!  Their entire mission statement seems to be "Muslims are evil."

O and O and Discord
A and A

Avis habilis

Retribution

I know it is not unbaised thus why I included Wikipedia in an other link. You will find that link reference publishing writings of Bin Laden.

But my point is this quote below is what ticked me off.

Quote from: Ephiral on August 22, 2013, 01:43:06 PM
Calling it "terrorist propaganda", especially sight unseen? That's just fucking racist, dude.

Now I am really done.

Kythia

Quote from: Retribution on August 22, 2013, 03:09:09 PM
Against my better judgement I am going to reply to this. This will be my last reply end story. But I said I had not watched -not- that I do not know anything about. There is a distinct difference and Al-Jazeera has on numerous occasions posted what can only be described as terrorist manifestos often times by known terrorists.

That's how journalism works.  The New York Times and the Washington Post published the Unabomber Manifesto.  Are they terrorist propagandists?  Fox News published a letter by Timothy McVeigh, are they?  AP published a letter from the weathermen.  Over here, the BBC have done interviews with IRA members.  Are they?  On and on goes the list.

I think your position is extremely shaky.  But, obviously, I'm not gonna come round to your house, tie you to a chair and force you to watch it.  I don't care that much.  But I do think you need to rexamine why you're not if the best you can come up with is that.

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on August 22, 2013, 03:25:24 PM
AP published a letter from the weatherman.

Actually had to look that one up.  :-)  At first, I was thinking 'Partly cloudy, temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70s?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on August 22, 2013, 03:29:40 PM
Actually had to look that one up.  :-)  At first, I was thinking 'Partly cloudy, temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70s?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground

Fear my vast knowledge of late sixties and seventies leftist terrorism.

Cyrano Johnson

That Al Jazzeera pisses off both the Arab dictators and various Western parties with skewed perspectives and an axe to grind is generally a sign that it's earned its strong reputation.

About the most sympathetic of its detractors I can see is Daniel Pearl's dad, who has for understandable reasons of personal grief developed an obsession with Arab world politics, but given the circumstances I don't exactly think his conspiracy theories reflect state-of-the-art judgment. Most of the rest of the pack are the kind of people who are prone to crying "anti-Americanism" for no good reason at all or as a tactic of outright deception. Sorry Retribution, but I think I'm calling your "al-Jazeera is terrorist propaganda" myth busted.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Retribution

Quote from: Kythia on August 22, 2013, 03:25:24 PM
That's how journalism works.  The New York Times and the Washington Post published the Unabomber Manifesto.  Are they terrorist propagandists?  Fox News published a letter by Timothy McVeigh, are they?  AP published a letter from the weathermen.  Over here, the BBC have done interviews with IRA members.  Are they?  On and on goes the list.

Since you responded in a reasoned manner Kythia I will answer this as that is indeed a valid question. I do not use any of the sources you named either. I wrote of Fox News when they published McVeigh, the times with the Unabomer even if that ultimately lead to his arrest so on. It is simply a line for me, I find some people so despicable that any such association just makes me sick. McVeigh, Kazinski, Bin Laden publish people like that I am done with you as a news source. I would like it noted two on that list of three are white guys since I have already been called racists once. I think those two are just as much terrorists. I feel the same about the IRA, KKK, Free Men, Arain Nation, Al Quieda so on.

Cyrano Johnson

Now that makes me curious. Where exactly do you go for news, in that case?
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences