You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 02:35:17 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fate Discworld Musings  (Read 371 times)

Offline steelsmiterTopic starter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Fate Discworld Musings
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
I proposed the possibility--in Group Roleplays Wanted--of playing in Terry Pratchett's Discworld using Fate Core. Through creation of various extras I've come to a better understanding of what I would want if I were to run the game. I'll be using This thread to post the things that I would have if I were running the game. First up:

Magic
Extra: UU Wizardry
Permissions: Male, One aspect representing Unseen University training. This could be a Student aspect or a Chairship. Note that Eskarina Smith (Equal Rites) was a female with an aspect like 8th child of an 8th son that made her the exception rather than the rule.
Costs: Lore Skill ranks. The lore skill now allows spellcasting. This functions exactly like Collegia Magic in Fate Core
Stunt: Hex Magic- Characters familiar with Hex may use it to add +2 when using the Lore skill for magic. Prerequisite: UU Wizardry

Extra: Witch Coven
Permissions: Female, One aspect representing membership in a coven. Typically these involve such titles as Maiden, Mother, or Crone.
Costs: As UU Wizardry
Stunt: Headology- A witch may gain a +2 bonus to Decieve overcome checks if she is trying to make the subject believe they are under a curative or transformative spell.

Extra: Sourcery
Permissions: Aspect (Eighth son of an eighth son or similar)
Costs: Skill points spent on Will, Possibly a Thaumatic Stress Track, depending on the GM.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • View My Rolls
Re: Fate Discworld Musings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »
Guild Membership
Guilds are a major part of Ankh Morpork economy. Chiefly this is due to the fact that membership in a guild is required to do the business in that guild. Guilds in Fate Discworld are designed similar to the nation set up in Fate Core. The one exception is that players should have either an Aspect and/or Contacts devoted to members of a given guild in order to gain the benefits of the guild (either ability to train some stunts or skills offered or have contacts with those skills). Membership in a guild does not grant all benefits shown below but does permit the character to learn them and provides suggestions for maximum skill levels.

Assassin's Guild
Aspects: Never kill for free, Black is always in style, Don't kill bystanders
Skills: Great (+4) Stealth, Good (+3) Fight, Fair (+2) Resources, Average (+1) Crafts
Stunts: Killing Stroke, Poisons, Assassin's Tools, Backstab

Assassin Stunts
Stunt: Poisons- Whenever an assassin succeeds with style on a the first attack in a given combat, you may inflict two additional shifts of success.
Stunt: Assassin's Tools- An assassin may use Craft instead of Burglary for Overcome actions involving traps, or locks, or covering their tracks.

Beggar's Guild
Aspects: No one notices a beggar; What's that smell?; Here, just leave me alone!
Skills: Great (+4) Investigate, Good (+3) Contacts, Fair (+2) Empathy, Average (+1) Resources
Stunts: Eavesdropper

Thieves' Guild
Aspects: In Progress
Skills: Great (+4) Burglary, Good (+3) Stealth, Fair (+2) Resources, Average (+1) Decieve
Stunts: Always a Way Out, Talk the Talk, Backstab
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:45:48 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Trolls
Trouble: Troll Brain- Troll intelligence functions at +/-2 depending on whether the weather is cold(+) or hot(-). Those terms are intentionally left vague, but function in the negative more than the positive. On the plus side, trolls don't garner much expectation from thinking people.

Detritus had a pretty strong compel in Men at Arms, I'll express it in Fate Terms to reflect why it's a valid Aspect:

Detritus has Troll Brain. He is with the dwarf Cuddy in the Pork Futures Warehouse. It makes sense that Cuddy's life is endangered from the cold and Detritus must find a way to get him out. Damn his luck

This is also good for an invoke since Detritus can claim +2 to throw Cuddy through the roof.

In another book, a noble thinks Detritus is a slave. She tells him about having prepared the stalls He responds kindly, telling her "it's the little t'ings that count" Put another way:

Detritus has Troll Brain and is discussing sleeping arrangements with a noble. Since trolls are not much more than laborers, unfortunately she thinks him worthy of the bedding one might give a horse. Damn his luck. (That particular event could also pose a "decision" on the part of the troll player, whether to attack or otherwise offend the noble).

High Concept: Mr. Shine, Him Diamond- Due to the unique nature of diamond trolls, who are often trollish royalty, this aspect may be considered off limits. Characters with this High Concept may not have Troll Brain. This High Concept is rare enough that players should only have it in extreme circumstances

Extra: Armor- Trolls have Stoneskin, thus for a cost of 1-3 points of Refresh, they gain armor of the equivalent value
Great Physique- The Great skill slot is taken for trolls. Alternately, the GM may decide to allow them Super Strength rather than fiddling with Physique Requirements.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:48:26 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »
Reserved for game specific Issues and house rulings that revolve around the issues. An example at the moment would be running a game in Snapcase's reign and using Mass Combat rules that I've made for the Pseudopolis War (or whatever you want to call it).