News:

Main Menu

Shipping out to PI

Started by Nexus1199, July 28, 2013, 04:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexus1199

Howdy,

I have enlisted in the Marine Corps and ship out in the not to distant future. As it stands, my family is not supportive of the idea and have generally refused to write me while I go through boot camp.  Is there any advice that I can get about what to expect and how to make it from meal to meal? If so, I would be much obliged if you shared it with me either through PM or here.

Callie Del Noire

Well, write them anyway. You'd be surprised how things can change over time. I went to book camp (Navy) and my family wrote me a lot. As did a bunch of my friends. Things to remember while going through boot. Work hard, listen, and learn. You are doing something for yourself, taking a step forward to serve. Learn the traditions, learn to be part of a team.

Good luck.

As a vet (even if I'm a Squid who likes to pick on Marines) I respect whatever decisions it took to make the commitment. Semper Fi!

(And remember if a squid picks on you.. it's because you're the guy they expect to protect them from the Army guys!)

Beguile's Mistress

Semper fi Marine!  The Corps will keep you so busy you won't have time to think. :-)  They feed you pretty well, too, as long as you aren't picky.  I've know some Marines in my time.  They have a long and proud tradition and you couldn't be in better company than with the few and the proud.  You'll make friends and brothers for life!  Oorah! ;D

As for the family, write to them.  I'm sure they'll eventually reply.  Also, write to as many friends as you can and collect email address for the times you have computer access.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 28, 2013, 04:32:21 PM
Semper fi Marine!  The Corps will keep you so busy you won't have time to think. :-)  They feed you pretty well, too, as long as you aren't picky.  I've know some Marines in my time.  They have a long and proud tradition and you couldn't be in better company than with the few and the proud.  You'll make friends and brothers for life!  Oorah! ;D

As for the family, write to them.  I'm sure they'll eventually reply.  Also, write to as many friends as you can and collect email address for the times you have computer access.

Get snail mail too. It's fading.. but.. it's a tangible memory.. I still have mail from family at boot camp.

I looked through my grandfather's journal from his time with Blackjack Pershing in WW1.

Tsenta

Just pray you have a sense of humor if you're forced to bunk with others who enjoy pranks or hazing.

Keep in mind, they take their shit seriously in Basic. Going through it, I saw the fun and "humor" get chewed out of a few new guys. Let's pray you're not the type to continually snicker/make sarcastic comments, cause by the end of Basic you will be miserable if you are.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.