You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 21, 2016, 04:59:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Roleplay... counseling?  (Read 343 times)

Offline SpiralSpiderTopic starter

Roleplay... counseling?
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »

Here's a strange question, perhaps.

I have been here on Elliquiy for a couple years now, though I'd only been active off and on in the past. I've tried to grow as a writer and improve the kind of partner that I am in these games.

Unfortunately, it seems like I still kind of put a sour taste in the mouth of others, perhaps? I'm not sure, really. I know that I've heard from others that having a game actually reach completion can be really rare - and I know that group games (which are my preference) are even more rare to get very far.

Maybe it's my self esteem, but it seems like whenever I join in a group game, no one is interested in my characters. I play a wide variety of characters so I think it goes well beyond not liking an individual one. I thought maybe it's my writing style, or the fact that I don't like to rush right into sexual interaction... or maybe it's something more personal about me? I worry because I am attempting to GM for the first time on a forum and I want to make sure I don't let anyone down.

I was hoping to get an outsider's perspective on it.

I looked through my old messages to see if I could find out who the Mentors were that were assigned to me, but in my foolish, newbie youth I seem to have deleted them some time ago. ^.^'

So I'm posting here to see if it is OK to send a message to any staff member at all about a subject like this? Or if anyone believes someone would be willing to give some of my writing a look through and let me know if I'm doing something wrong?

Offline Aislinn

• Enchantress of Éire, Local Avatarmonger & Leprechaun Ninja Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • The Poet's Muse
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Roleplay... counseling?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Spiral -

I'm sure that some of the staff members will have much more to say about this then I would being that I'm rather new to the Mentor ranks but I would be more then willing to help you and read over some things. =-) My pm box is always open!

Offline steelsmiter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Some games really are open ended and won't really end until the player(s) stop(s) posting. I ran a game like this for like two years on rpol. An injury I sustained which prevented me from posting for a month was what killed it. Sometimes things just happen and people don't tell you why. That can be bad for the confidence I know, but it helps to make sure you look very carefully into the tone of the game and try not to make a contrasting character.

I know I have been disinvited (probably not a word but it serves the descriptive purpose) to some games because I had a really neat character idea that had no particular reason to be with the group. No worries there though. I saw what I did. I haven't had a looksee to find out if you've done that. In any case I have learned that if you take anything personally on the internet you'll never get anywhere. Chances are if they didn't tell you that it was you, it was probably something else.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Sometimes in group games, it's not so much that people aren't interested in a character, and more that they haven't noticed the character amid all the 'Ooh, lots of stuff going on' frenzy of everybody posting.  If your character is naturally quiet, it might be worthwhile to chat with people in the OOC and see if there's a plot you can get him or her into.  While 'going with the flow' can work in one-on-ones (where you pretty much have to interact with the other person to keep it going) in a group game, sometimes a bit more 'Author Intervention' is needed.