You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 12:12:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Rules Lite Concept  (Read 542 times)

Offline steelsmiterTopic starter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Elder Scrolls Rules Lite Concept
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:00:54 AM »
I got this idea from a guy running freeform (which I completely understand and completely disagree with) that told me that dice and spoilers (expressing dice rolls privately) had no real place in his game because it was about story or some such. I wasn't particularly in agreement with that either. In any case I'm thinking I could use the GM's Corner to fill in the blanks as the ideas come much like I did with Mass Combat RP (a work I'm pretty happy with). I'll use the Oblivion wiki because that's a bit less behind the scenes than Skyrim. It's also the last one I'm aware of that had anything to do with attributes.

Here's what I got so far
Dice Roll Mechanic: d20+ Skill Level Bonus

Attributes
+0 represents a score from 0-30
+1 represents a score from 31 to 60
+2 represents a score from 61-90
+4 represents a score from 91+
How 'bout dem apples?
Characters can go by the table provided by the link, or if the GM allows, they can create a custom race.

Skill Levels (d20 modifier)
Unskilled (+0)- 1-30 in the video games
Apprentice (+1)- 31-60 in the video games
Journeyman (+2)- 61-90 in the video games
Master (+4)- 91+ in the video games
The real milestones were 25/50/75 but that didn't work particularly well with the attributes
Skills by class
You get +3 to put in skills. This means that you either have a +2 and a +1 or three +1 skills
Everything else starts at +0

If you want more than +3 in skills, add 5 years of background story for every +1 you add to a skill.

Racial/Sign abilities
These may also follow the above numerical expression. For example, being born under the sign of the shadow is worth +1 (because you are invisible for 60 seconds). Strictly speaking these may not be balanced and are subject to approval by the GM

Resistance
the percentages given by the racial tables above are divided by ten then added to Defenses against that element.

Attacking
1d20+Weapon Skill (or Destruction as applicable)+Attribute+Weapon Tier

Defending
10+Acrobatics Skill+Endurance Attribute+Armor Tier. If you have a shield, add it's Tier

Taking a hit
If an attack roll exceeds a defense roll, the defender suffers damage in the amount of 5% of his health multiplied by the margin of loss.

Area Magic
Rather than worrying about individual spells and other frippery of that nature, This system allows you to create effects on the fly. If you are attempting to do Area Magic, you take a -3 penalty.

"Leveling" Up
Every foe you defeat gives you an Experience Point. It takes 10 EP multiplied by a skill or attribute's next level to increase it to the next level (you may not skip steps). Maximum +4. Much like the oblivion games, if you play long enough you'll get to the point where you can't improve any more. This depends on the number of skills applicable to the game For example, the Oblivionwiki said something like 21 skills and 8 attributes It takes 100 EP (10,20, 30, 40) to maximize one score. It might be possible to kill 2900 foes but chances are that's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:57:27 AM by steelsmiter »

Offline Shjade

Re: Elder Scrolls Rules Lite Concept
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
Attributes
+1 represents a score from 25 to 49
+2 represents a score from 50-74
+4 represents a score from 75+
How 'bout dem apples?
going by the link, all red attributes get +1, all green numbers +2. You could do what you like for

Resistance
the percentages given by the racial tables above are divided by ten then added to Defenses against that element.

Why would the red attributes get +1 when they represent stats that are lower than average?

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »
because they're all above 25 (actually orc personality is 25 but the point still stands)
the thresholds are 25-49. 50-74 and 75+

Actually I'm an idiot... didn't notice all the non colored attributes, they need levels too and I need to redo the whole setup.

The resistences work the way they do because of the dice taking 5% chunks out of your health.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:57:31 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Shjade

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
didn't notice all the non colored attributes

Yeah, that was sorta what I was getting at. ;p

If you want to go with that specific table and still set it up with your +# tier layout, just as a suggestion, I'd say make the red stat values the top-end of your +0 tier, so +1 starts at 31 and up.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
But that messes with the Apprentice, Journeyman, Master paradigm already set up by the games to begin with. I don't really mind doing that if I do it across the board and change the thresholds to 30/60/90. Thoughts?

Offline Shjade

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
0-30 = untrained/unskilled
31-60 = apprentice
61-90 = journeyman
91+ = master

Works for me.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
0-30 = untrained/unskilled (+0)
31-60 = apprentice (+1)
61-90 = journeyman (+2)
91+ = master (+4)

alright I fiddled with the math and implemented some changes ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:18:41 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
How about this for a quick "Materials Tiier"

Material
|Tier/Bonus
Rusty Iron
Iron
Fine iron/Steel
Fine Steel
Silver
Dwarven
Orcish
Elven
Glass
Daedric
Durable
|+1 above the material

Alternately remove Fine Iron and Fine Steel from the list but add them on the end as +1 modifiers. Going that route, you could easily add in other modifiers from Skyrim, at +1 per step.

The difficulty to create any item is the sum of its bonuses plus 10.
Some of these materials or others that individual GMs may add in will ignore normal armor. Notably daedric or silver. Oblivion had a glitch where some silver weapons didn't ignore normal armor before a certain patch for example. (personally I would not go that route though.)

It would not be unreasonable to allow characters to have 3 tiers of gear total

For example, a Rusty Iron Cuirass (0), Iron Sword (+1), and a Steel Shield (+2)
A potion that cured 5% HP would be +1

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:58:31 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Moraline

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »
Interesting lay out. It's like a slightly more complicated version of my, Super Simple Play System (Click Here) that you PM'd me about a few days before you posted this. I'm a fan of ultra-simple play systems for forum play. I always thought that full systems had too steep of a learning curve for the average non-initiated player.

Did you ever get to use the DiceBot Tutorial of mine that you were looking for?

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
I did get the dicebot tutorial. Haven't had to use it in the game yet. I can't really say that I borrowed your system... at least not deliberatey. I was just looking for a way to convert the percentile base of Elder Scrolls to something that was more manageable on a smaller dice scale. What I actually thought of immediately was the fact that Munchkin cards give "effective level", and I wanted to make sure level wasn't particularly tied to any one stat. I had forgotten about my "marginal damage" proposition, for your system, but being a GURPS player I like Margin of Success and would have been predisposed to use it anyway ;D

Mostly the freeform I was talking about felt like it marginalized (there's that margin word again) the plethora of equipment/stats/skills you could have which to me was what Elder Scrolls was all about. Sandboxing untill you got Daedric, then stomping the main quest.

I had the frickin Ebony Dagger from the start in Elder Scrolls every time and used it for quite a few levels... I had seen the Morrowind Mega Pots that couls get your acrobatics high enough to jump two load screens, as well as the process for beating the game in less than 20 minutes by skipping to one treasure chest and the final boss. In Oblivion I created code that allowed me to cast a spell and steal everything from the target... at range, without activating the stolen item code. It has been long enough I don't remember it, but for me, the stats were the fun. A rarity mind you that doesn't transfer over to tabletop. In fact, most players find out that my end game statistics don't really match theirs because I go for what's fun at the time.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
Final Fantasy Mod

Attributes (Maximum +10 for FF games)
Strength
Mind
Vitality
Speed

Item Tier Examples
Cloth
1- Grass, Wool, Cotton
2- Linen
3- Silk
4- Velvet
5- Silver Thread
6- Gold Thread
7- Rainbow Cloth
8- Black/White Cloth

Gems
1- Fluorite, Zircon
2- Moonstone, Sunstone, Tiger Eye, Turquoise
3- Amber, Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Magicite, Peridot, Garnet
4- Onyx, Opal, Tourmaline
5- Aquamarine, Arcana, Malachite, Pearl
6- Jade, Topaz
7- Crystal,
8- Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire
9-Diamond
10- Halcyon, Angelstone, Deathstone, High Arcana

Metals
1- Brass, Bronze, Copper
2- Iron, Tin (some games subvert this and make tin closer to Tier 8)
3- Silver, Steel
4- Mythril, Gold
5- Darksteel, Lightsteel
6- Bomb Steel, Wootz Steel, White Gold
7- Pure Gold, Relic Iron
8- Platinum
9- Orichalcum
10- Zodiac Ore, Adamantite

Woods
1- Oak, Bamboo, Rattan
2- Cherry, Chestnut
3- Elm, Holly, Willow
4- Ash, Maple
5- Walnut
6- Yew
7- Rosewood
8- Mahogany
9- Ebony
10- Ancient Wood, Life Wood (in settings where there is a "tree of life")

Magic Expanded
General Guidelines
A spell, whenever cast, reduces its caster's MP reserve by 5% multiplied by (Tier - Mind) Thus a spellcaster that uses Death (tier 5) with a Mind Score of 2 reduces his MP reserve by 30%
Base Spells like Aero Blizzard, Cure, Fire, and Lightning are Tier 1
Spells that cause minor inconvenience like Blind or Silence are tier 2
Spells that cure those effects are tier 3
Spells with -ra endings (Aera, Blizarra, etc) are tier 3 spells that target multiple foes/allies at x1.5 MP cost.
Spells that cause Doom or Gradual Petrify are Tier 4
Spells that cause KO, Petrify, or other effects that remove the character from the fight are Tier 5
Demi is Tier 5
Esuna (and/or Panacea in games where the spell exists) is 1 tier above the greatest effect it can cure (Arise, Revive, Life, etc are Tier 6).
Spells with -ga endings are tier 6 spells that target multiple foes/allies at x1.5% MP cost
Quarter is Tier 7
Flare is Tier 8 (Doomsday/Meteor also possibly tier 8, but targets everyone at random)
Scathe is Tier 9
Ultima and Megaflare (or other Higher level Summon Abilities) are tier 10 and consume all the user's MP

The types of Magic are as follows
White: Heals, some buffs.
Black: damage, some debuffs
Time (sometimes called green): More buffs and debuffs. A few non-elemental damage spells
Blue (Monster Magic): a variety of spells that use weird calculations. They won't do that here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:48:43 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
Sample Final Fantasy starting Characters (based on +3 total in Starting Skills and Attributes, and +3 in Starting Equipment)

Thief
Attributes - Speed+1
Skills - Steal+1, Dagger +1
Gear - Iron Dagger (+1), Leather Shirt (+1), Potion +1

White Mage
Attributes - Mind +1, Vitality +1
Skills - White Magic +1 (able to cast Cure)
Gear - Rod (+1), Cotton Robe (+1), Potion +1

Black Mage
Attributes - Mind +2
Skills - Black Magic (able to cast Fire)
Gear -  Mage Staff (+1), Cotton Robe (+1), Ether (+1)

Restorative items grant 1d20+Level times 5% of the user's heath or MP.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:38:47 PM by steelsmiter »