Dark Souls | An everlasting Circle |

Started by LeSane, July 23, 2013, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeSane

We see the struggles of others unfold around us, as they fight for the things important to them. There's a man who fights on behalf of his broken homeland, another who fights to prevent his kingdom being broken. One man believes in research for the sake of knowledge... and maybe this knowledge will give you the power to fix your mistake. With this power you may have to do terrible things to many, to save the lives of many more.

How can the gods be so cruel? To stand idly by, while the powerless have everything taken from them. Perhaps if you give them something, then they'll give you something in return? Surely there's a reward for faithfully serving the gods of this land. Or perhaps you'll be cast aside to fade from memory - A fool, who dared to believe in something greater without ever knowing that your final acts, could've changed fate. Man is born from the dark, a soul that is kindled, flickers, dwindles and dies in the shadow of his Gods. The human form is fragile and death comes quickly, but the Spirit is strong and it clings to life like only a mortal can. So in a way man was not designed to become undead. Fear of death is what lets us live.

Take that away, and humanity becomes harder to hold on to. Without humanity, you could become more hollow than man. Yet an undead who would die for something has nothing to fear, for death simply becomes a stepping stone to his goal. If you fall down seven times, stand up eight. That's the cry of the undead. It's not a matter of life or death that's about what breaks first - your will, or the barriers in your way. One must ask what is that barrier I speak of so openly? It is none other then the history of The Age of Fire and the crisis that has befallen us.

The Tale of Old
In the Age of Ancients the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of grey crags with Archtrees and Everlasting dragons, but then there was Fire. With fire came Disparity; Heat and cold, life and death, and of course... Light and Dark. From the dark they came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame. Nito the First of the Dead. The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of Chaos. Gwyn the Lord of Sunlight and his faithful knights, and the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten.

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons. Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales. The witches weaved great firestorms. Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease, and Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, damning his brethren to death. Thus began the Age of Fire... Yet as all things begin they come to an end. Soon the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. Even now there are only embers and man sees not light, but only endless darkness. Amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign bearing fruit to those called Undead. Humans and Undead went crazy turning into Hollow one by one. It could've been mere months before the End.

The fate of the undead, thou shalt know. Well now you know, and I can die with hope in my heart.
So do we fight for one man who fell? No. We fight for the many who fell before us, for the souls of nameless soldiers, warriors and heroes.

What is an Undead?
In Dark Souls, to be Undead means that the victim has died, but has been reanimated. Most Undead were sent to the Undead Asylum and imprisoned to await the end of the world. Undeath is seen as a curse or a disease by the living. Unlike the living, the undead do not perish with death; instead, they are resurrected at bonfires. However, in time they gradually lose their sanity and intelligence unless they can procure humanity. Humanity can be used at bonfires to reverse hollowing, but not undeath. An Undead that has fully lost his or her sanity is known as a Hollow.

As a general rule, the undead are treated with hostility by the living. Game lore suggests that Undead are hunted down by in the land of living, rounded up, and sent to the undead asylum, with no hope of release. Many of the characters the player that meet will mention the stigma they faced from the rest of society before they left their former homes. However, some Undead are (or, at least, were) treated with respect.
  What is a Hollow?
Hollow is a degenerative state in Dark Souls, in which those that are Undead are doomed to eventually become. The symptomatology of being Hollow is primarily characterized by a lack of free will. Those that are Hollow may still have attractions to things they valued as living and Undead. This might explain why so many have maintained stations at various posts as well as their aggression towards non-Hollows.
  What is the Dark Sign?
The Darksign signifies an accursed Undead. Those branded with it are reborn after death, but will one day lose their mind and go Hollow. Death triggers the Darksign, which returns its bearer to the last point rested at, but at the cost of a fragment of their soul as well as their sanity. With this there is no such thing as a true death as un Undead. All undead will one day lose their mind and go Hollow due to the fate all have when branded with the Darksign. That is a truth within itself. It has be figured out that as long as one has a purpose or a goal to achieve, and a strong enough will hollowing will not happen until that goal is accomplished.
  What of the chosen undead?
This game is a concept of what if the chosen undead was just another undead, and just as those before him/her became a hollow. The game will follow a small group of undead as they venture through the perils of this land in hopes of ridding the world of the dark. Though each have their own reasons for joining forces be it personal reasons, raiding, glory, or some sense of honor for the homeland.

There are links to the Wikia for those below. The only things of importance are the ones below. There is no need for throwing hundreds of links to items, weapons, armors, etc when I want my players to use their imagination when creating themselves within this world. Though if there one needs help they can refer to the wikia to their own choosing for inspiration. A choice one has to make for themselves.

Locations Classes  Covenants

Pyromancy Miracles Sorcery

Weapons Sheilds Armor

[float=left][img]Image Here[/img][/float]
[b]Player Name[/b]

[b]Character Name[/b]

[b]Alias[/b]

[b]Gender[/b]

[b]Sexual preference[/b] 

[b]Age[/b]

[b]Class[/b]

[b]Blessing[/b]

[b]Abilities[/b]

[hr]
[i]How did you acquire the Darksign?[/i]
[Few sentences to one full paragraph]
[i]What is your Story?[/i]
[Minimum of two paragraphs. Maximum of four.
[i] Why did you join your Covenant?[/i]
[Few sentences...]
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Vlexia

I have read your intro and watched all three movies as well as checked out the various classes posted in the Wikia for the game. Although I have never played the game, I absolutely love medieval themes in RPG video games, being a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, especially Oblivion ad Skyrim.

Do you have a basic story in mind? What exactly are you looking for in the other characters? And can you give a clearer explanation exactly of the game synopsis itself. I will do more research, but I'm a little confused as to how often the character dies, if everyone is dead, and exactly what becomes of the character when they are resurrected

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

LeSane

Quote from: Vlexia on July 25, 2013, 12:28:09 PM
I have read your intro and watched all three movies as well as checked out the various classes posted in the Wikia for the game. Although I have never played the game, I absolutely love medieval themes in RPG video games, being a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, especially Oblivion ad Skyrim.

Do you have a basic story in mind? What exactly are you looking for in the other characters? And can you give a clearer explanation exactly of the game synopsis itself. I will do more research, but I'm a little confused as to how often the character dies, if everyone is dead, and exactly what becomes of the character when they are resurrected

Just like Dark Souls there is going to be semi minimalistic plot. Events and their significance are often implicit and left to player interpretation rather than fully shown or explained. Much of the story and lore of the world is given to the player through dialogue from characters within the world, items, or the scarce moments of understanding. It is mostly left up to the players to put the pieces together however in this game I'll give a overview of the situation. The characters are Undead, who has yet to become Hollow. The protagonists escapes from the northern Undead Asylum with the help of another Undead and learns of the prophecy concerning a chosen Undead who leaves the Undead Asylum in pilgrimage and rings the two Bells of Awakening in Lordran, the land of the ancient lords.

What I'm looking for is a various cast of characters each with some reason to be here either by there own will or not. Example of of the npcs is name Solaire whom willing became undead to find his own 'Sun' (Whatever that truly means is unknown, and interpreted as many things.)

If common sense is used you can survive anything along with co-operation with another player since Some Enemies will be two to three times bigger than yourself. As people die they will revive from the last safe spot there was though somewhat weakened until fully rested. As long as they have the will to live and have some sense of reason your character will not turn hollow basically having a sense of Immortality though death is still not recommended.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Shjade

How are you planning to run this as a group game?

I mean, if you're set on running it like DS, it's a single-player game where other players make temporary appearances and fade away again. Are you intending to try running multiple instances of the game that then cross over, or just one or two "main" worlds where the other characters are consistently appearing white/red phantoms, or...?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Vlexia

That's a very good question, actually. It would be fairly hard to manage with everyone on their own agenda

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

LeSane

Quote from: Shjade on July 26, 2013, 10:33:56 AM
How are you planning to run this as a group game?

I mean, if you're set on running it like DS, it's a single-player game where other players make temporary appearances and fade away again. Are you intending to try running multiple instances of the game that then cross over, or just one or two "main" worlds where the other characters are consistently appearing white/red phantoms, or...?
That is good to note I'm happy I wasn't the only one thinking of such. I had the a few idea of either have them being phantoms, but that would require a few things. The soapstone which is a obvious choice, but as of red phantoms that is up to the players if they detest another character enough. It could be an option and interesting to see.

As the game itself had moment where you thought you trusted a npc just to find out thy were more... sinister. So my idea is There is a 'main road' that branches off to two separate paths and so on. It will be entirely up to the player. The roads they take still come as one in major parts/minor points.

Shjade

That...sorta answers the question, but not really?

If other players in the game are "player characters" with soapstones and the ability to invade/assist other worlds, what are they doing when they're not phantoms? Do they have their own worlds to RP out as well? Or are you saying there's just one main player and the other players are cast as what would be NPCs in Dark Souls, characters that are sort of around in the world but don't tend to do much unless you either attack them first, summon them for assistance (Lautrec, Solaire, Beatrice, etc.) or are invaded by them (Kirk, Mildred, etc.)?

Your game's structure is unclear.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

LeSane

No each character is there own such a created by themselves not a character from the game. I meant it this they are the main characters. I wanted to use the soapstones in a unique way. As in each would write it down on something they hold close to them thats small and can be summoned that way.
Its just like the CrestFallen warrior said "You must be a new arrival. Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first." I've just thought it would be interesting to see more than 'chosen' undead take the journey as a unit and bond. Because in the world of Dark Souls it gets very lonely.

As for the games structure Im still fine tuning things out. In all honestly I did not expect alot of attention for it.