You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 08:24:44 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: War Gaming/Mass Combat RP  (Read 1709 times)

Offline steelsmiterTopic starter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Re: War Gaming/Mass Combat RP
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:28 PM »
Zombie Apocalypse Tweaks

Mapless
You never see anyone pop out a map of the zombie apocalypse to go anywhere.
Movement
It's way more entertaining to just do movement "freeform" and decide at random whether the players got where they were going or not. It's a nice surprise to have a zombie horde pop up out of nowhere.
Officers
Nope. hit a zombie in the head, they're down. Don't, and they're not.
Hordes
Mook numbers were formerly based on officer rank. Since there's not any "ranked" zombies, hordes are now composed of 10d10 zombies. Use one of the two options for determining zombies occur:
Experience
Every 100 kills, you get 1 skill point.

11+ on d20 to occur during travel
1d20th post on a page (25 posts) that does not already contain a zombie attack. That is to say if they players eliminated a zombie horde on the last page of posting, they will get another one. If they elimited the threat on the current page, there will be no more threats until 1d20 posts on the next page. If playing in person, set an egg timer for 5 minutes :D

The GM may use either or both options (such as by implementing the 1d20 posts rule during rest periods) depending on the game's theme.

Weapons
ATK- rapid fire weapons (automatics) have ATK equal to their shots per second/4. For example if an M-16 fires 12 shots per second, its ATK is 3. Autoloader weapons, revolvers and Pump (semi-automatics) loading weapons generally are assumed to fire 3 shots per second (ATK 1) but shotguns are assumed to have 9 pellets per shot, therefore they have 27/4= 6 ATK. Double barreled shot guns only have 2 ATK. These values are only applicable to Zombie Apocalypse games.
SPD- No longer affects movement but still grants an initiative bonus. Simply ask the GM what size a weapon is to determine its speed.

Crits- Rolls of natural 20s involve finding items like RPGs or pipe bombs that deal large area damage. Weapons of such large scale destruction don't just happen to be lying around. I don't care if you are a WWII re-enactor. You want to "find one" on a 16-19, it's unloaded and takes up a slot. Same goes for finding the ammunition. You must do so separately from the high explosive weapon.

Initiative- Classic Zombies are SLOOOOOOOW! Their initiative is 0. I've also noticed that fiddling around with dice every round for initiative slows down an already slow process. Therefore all characters act before zombies in order of SPD.

Infection- Whenever a group of zombies rolls a critical (at least one natural 20 which explodes) any players in the area must roll 1d20+Rank+Health. This roll is also subject to exploding on natural 20s. The lowest roll that does not beat the zombies is bitten. They become infected and if not killed promptly by an attack to the brain, they will become part of the next horde, which arrives as indicated above.

Limited Resources
Characters may begin with 3 loads of ammunition in addition to a starting weapon. Pistols come in pairs They lose 1 shot per kill. For example a character with a pair of revolvers has 36 shots.  Characters without weapons that need ammunition have one open inventory slot.

Skill Changes and Additions
Search- Characters may spend any number of turns searching a room until they find something. Use the following table for searches:
1: Nothing
2-5: Ammo, 1 reload
6-10: Food (2xRank HP restored)
11-15: First Aid Kit (5xRank HP restored)
16-19: Weapon or other useful item (GM fiat)
20: Functional vehicle (Assume Vehicle's SPD hours worth of fuel where possible)
Search Level provides a bonus.

New Skill! The Cure- One of the players is immune to infection. He can get bitten any number of times and not turn. This character is capable of dying though, and such a death essentially puts the nail in the coffin of a campaign unless the 10% rule is invoked allowinng another character to be created with this skill. The drawback of this skill is that you are only permitted to gain it upon character creation and do not gain a skill to make up for the lack of combat utility.

New Skill! Packrat- Normally you may carry 1 weapon (or a pair of light weapons) and a second inventory slot. Each level of this skill gives you an additional slot which can hold either 3 loads of ammo, a first aid kit, a meal, or a weapon. Characters may hold any number of items in their inventories that are purely sentimental or do not provide a significant bonus.

Vehicles- You no longer get a vehicle for free, but your Vehicle skill acts as an ATK value for the purposes of killin zombies you ran over if you currently have a functional vehicle. You are restricted to modified ground vehicles. NPCs may provide air vehicles for evacuation purposes if evacuation is possible. its function is based on the highest skill level in the group. Assume 50 MPH per point of SPD the vehicle has (which is up to the GM but typically vehicles are 1-2, helicopters, where available, are 3) and two hours of fuel (at max speed)

Eliminated Skills
Ambush, Rally, Volley (may be allowed if in game events dictate that you are the leader of an uninfected camp. You may set up events which feature those camp members)
Fire (Doesn't really do much against zombies)
Magic (spells make it too easy and disrupt the theme)
Hacking (what security system are you hacking exactly? Actually this may be a viable end game skill in which finding the cure is possible, and you may take it at the beginning if you don't mind the frustration of not using a skill most of the game)
Interrogation (this is an entirely in character proceedure that's affected by your ability to think of the right questions to ask, or at least a question sufficient that the target assumes/volunteers information)

Special uses for skills
Armory- You can use workbenches or reloading kits to obtain weapon upgrades or reloads with this skill. This may require you to save an inventory slot for shell casings or ammunition for weapons you don't have. Making gunpowder or the like is probably too much unless you can think of a way t get the base materials. You can also improvise or repair armor.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:23:18 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Shjade

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
New Skill! Packrat- Normally you may carry 1 weapon and a second inventory slot. Each level of this skill gives you an additional slot which can hold either 3 loads of ammo, a first aid kit, a meal, or a weapon. Characters may hold any number of items in their inventories that are purely sentimental or do not provide a significant bonus.

Are all weapons just "weapon?" As in I for some reason have the carrying capacity for either a glock or a double-barrel shotgun, but not for a glock and a revolver even though those two combined would clearly take up less space than the shotgun?

Game physics bother me sometimes. I'm looking at you, Bioshock Infinite, and your willingness to let me carry both an RPG and a freaking chaingun at the same time but not a rifle and two different pistols. -.-

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Are all weapons just "weapon?" As in I for some reason have the carrying capacity for either a glock or a double-barrel shotgun, but not for a glock and a revolver even though those two combined would clearly take up less space than the shotgun?

Well, I didn't put it here, but I did on Goin' Commando that a pair of pistols is one weapon, though issues of caliber are relevant so I'd want them to be both Glock 9mms, both S&W .44s, etc. so a light weapon is a pair of pistols, or possibly submachine guns, mediums are rifles, assault rifles, shot guns, similar. Heavies are M-134s, AA-12s or similar. Yes I'm aware that some .45 magazines only have 7 shots while M-134 belts or AA-12 drums have a ton more shots. Again, issues of realism, thematic will win for me every time (for this thread). If you'd like to playtest it I'd be happy to play in your game, and accept rules tweaks you make in favor of realism... I'm actually aware of your answer to that so unless it's become more affirmative you don't need to reiterate it ;D

RPGs and other large area explosives are situational, like going back to your idea of that being how to implement crits for modern games.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:36:13 AM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:03 AM »
added an Initiative change on Zombie Apocalypse, Decided it worked well for the main game so I changed it.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
Fixed all references to single "light weapons" in ZA... I think.
Added experience to ZA
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:44:58 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
added infection

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
Added ZA Skill: The Cure

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
Generic Fantasy Beast Conversion

Monsters with Ranks
In general, for games like d20, assume that the monster's CR is an approximation of Monster Rank. Specifically if a 20 level game equates to a 10 rank Mass Combat RP game, and monsters hit around CR 25 to 26 depending on source, They may well have Monster Rank up to 13. If you want to convert a monster that has an odd CR like 9, it's up to you whether to call it 4th or 5th rank.

Skill Changes and Additions
Health- Think of health as Average HP/Level. You may consider allowing up to 6 levels to emulate d12 hit dice, or more to simulate high Constitution modifers. If a character has 20d12+200 (at 20th level and 30 Con)~330 HP he needs ~6 levels of health (6+1)x(Rank 10)x5=350 HP
New Skill!Natural Weapon- in addition to combo, monsters can gain +1 attack per level of this skill
Search- Characters may search every corpse and every room once. Use the standard table for searches. Search Level provides a bonus. to the roll.

New Skill! Fast Movement- Normally you may carry 1 weapon (or a pair of light weapons) and a second inventory slot. Each level of this skill gives you an additional slot which can hold either 3 loads of ammo, a first aid kit, a meal, or a weapon. Characters may hold any number of items in their inventories that are purely sentimental or do not provide a significant bonus.

Vehicles- You no longer get a vehicle for free, but your Vehicle skill acts as an ATK value for the purposes of killin zombies you ran over if you currently have a functional vehicle. You are restricted to modified ground vehicles. NPCs may provide air vehicles for evacuation purposes if evacuation is possible. its function is based on the highest skill level in the group. Assume 50 MPH per point of SPD the vehicle has (which is up to the GM but typically vehicles are 1-2, helicopters, where available, are 3) and two hours of fuel (at max speed)

Eliminated Skills
Hacking (what security system are you hacking exactly? Actually this may be a viable end game skill in which finding the cure is possible, and you may take it at the beginning if you don't mind the frustration of not using a skill most of the game)

Special uses for skills
Armory- You can enchant weapons with greater stats using this skill in conjunction with spells.

New Spell
Enchant- Requires Relic Lore
You can add a number of points to a weapon equal to your rank to be invested in ATK, SPD, and Skill Bonuses. The point division between ATK and SPD may not exceed a 2-1 ratio. For example if you are rank 6, you may not have a greater difference than +4/+2 or vice versa. You may put points into skill bonuses or special abilities the GM approves to account for any difference. For example, if a weapon can be used to "interrogate" a corpse, you could at rank seven have +4/+2, and Interrogate 1, but not +5/+2.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:14:32 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Rukio

• Sir Quitchabitchin
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Dabble in everything so you can do anything.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »
Is this still open for discussion? I just happened upon it while browsing and it caught my eye. I'd love to be involved in this.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:55 AM »
Sure.

Offline Rukio

• Sir Quitchabitchin
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Dabble in everything so you can do anything.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 01:35:36 AM »
Right on. Let me go back and read through it all and I'll have more questions.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »
sweet! I did make a few very minor clarity changes.