You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 12:08:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: War Gaming/Mass Combat RP  (Read 1707 times)

Offline steelsmiterTopic starter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
War Gaming/Mass Combat RP
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme legends and decided to create a system that would do for tabletop rp. I originally had it on Dropbox but decided that individualy adding people to view it was tedious. I'm reposting here in the hopes that people might use the system for their games that involve Mass Combat with direct player involvement. It also occurred to me that tables are difficult with tab based office programs, but easier here

People may comment or suggest changes as they wish. If I like something, I will reply with the change that I made to the original post. Also this system is about to be used for a fantasy based game that has nothing to do with Dynasty Warriors. My Goin Commando idea will use this system for scenes involving combat

Note that characters are not necessarily intended to die after being defeated unless the game specifies it. For example, Goin Commando will involve character defeat and sexual imprisonment.

Mass Combat RP
This system is a simplistic way to simulate mass scale combat for games that feature it. Though it is nothing like the Dynasty Warriors series for proprietary reasons, it is inspired by those games. The rules do not detail political intrigue or situations of adult content outside the combat itself. In particular, torture or interrogation scenes are best left to the ingenuity of the player.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:28:11 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • View My Rolls
Re: War Gaming/Mass Combat RP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
The System
Roll d20 and consult the table below
1: Critical Miss. You are Sword Locked with an opponent and you lose, stunning you until the end of your next turn
2-10: Normal Miss. If you are attacking mooks (soldiers without specified ranks) you kill this many of them. If attacking an officer, even an unnamed one, you miss.
11-19: Normal Hit. If you are fighting mooks, you kill this many of them. If attacking an officer, you deal 1/4 of this roll to the officer.
20: Critical Hit. Roll again, and continue to roll until you no longer get 20. Add up the total of all rolls. You either kill this many mooks or deal half of this damage to an officer. You knock your opponent(s) back 1 yard per 3 damage.

Modifiers to damage: Rank and Combo skill adds its numerical value to damage. Weapons may also have damage bonuses on an individual basis. This does not apply on a miss even if the miss was mitigated by dividing damage between mooks and officers.

Dividing damage between Mooks and Officers: You may sacrifice 4 points of mook damage to hit an officer the GM has declared is present for one point. You may not sacrifice more than half the roll to do this.  If you scored a critical, you may deal 1 point of damage to an officer per 2 points of mook damage sacrificed. This can be used to represent area attacks or frenzy modes that characters sometimes fly into.

Taking Hits: You suffer damage as an officer (1/4 of what's rolled).

Restoring HP: Ranked nameless officers drop a food item that restores (2xOpponent Rank) HP. Ranked officers with names drop a food item that restores (4xOpponent Rank) HP. Other games may have different methods to restore HP.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:11:25 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »
Starting Weapons: Players start with Level 1 weapons. Level 1 weapons have the following stats:
|Size
|ATK
|SPD
|Light
|Medium
|Heavy|3|1

Rank
The following ranks are the default for Mass Combat RP (though they may be renamed to fit the setting)
1-Private
2-Corporal
3-Sergeant
4-Master Sergeant
5-Lieutenant
6-Captain
7-Major
8-Colonel
9-Lieutenant General
10-General
HP=(Health Skill+1)xRankx5

Other Ranks
Supply Officer: Typically a Master Sergeant. Drops either a weapon or Armor. The weapon has 1d4 plus half the value of your current weapon for both ATK and SPD (roll this once for each. values do not change). Armor deflects 1d4 points of damage for the next 3 rounds (this is in addition to that gained by the Armor skill if you have it). This only represents weapons you find randomly. Those awarded to you by a commanding officer or by defeating an important NPC (usually story based) may be higher level. See War Purse
Behind the Curtain-Weapons
Weapons have two stats: ATK (adds to damage) and SPD (adds to speed). They may have other special properties. Characters may carry up to four weapons at any given time.
Messenger: Carries a letter. Typically a Private.
Gate Guard: In fantasy/DW games, 4 mooks guard the gates. In modern games it might be one guy in a security booth.
Behind the Curtain-Gate Guards
Gate Guards are still mooks but they usually have 10-20 other mooks with them. Though they fall at a rate of 1 per point of the roll, they fall last unless you specifically target them first.
Guard Officer: These are usually Corporal or Sergeant. There are 4 to a fort in DW games, the GM may spread them out at regular intervals for other play styles. They always have Rally (allowing around 40 individuals in a fort)
Burning Forts
Guard officers usually have 10-15 HP like any other officer ranked individual, but setting fires to forts or the area that you're in turns them into mooks that must be targetted the same way Gate Guards are normally targetted

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:00:40 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
Skills
Ambush- You may set up an ambush that takes 6-Level turns (minimum 1) to arrive at a location designated by you. Their kills count as tactical kills.
Combo- Adds to damage roll, levels 3,4, 5, and 6
Fire- You take 6-Level turns (minimum 1) to set fire to an enemy encampment. Enemies killed in the encampment are tactical. Any named individual in a building or some area set on fire takes Level damage per round. Nameless ranked individuals become mooks which must be targetted seperately with normal attacks to defeat. The fire level of the character that set the fire adds to the attack rolls made by all of his allies in the area. Once everyone in the area is defeated, the fire is put out.
Health- levels 1-5, Multiply (Skill+1)xRankx5 to determine HP
Interrogate- You may use torture or other means whenever you defeat an officer. You are allowed to tag 1 officer for an interrogation attempt per skill level. Doing so forces you to forgo any loot the officer would otherwise provide. Interrogation attempts occur either in a secondary "Tent/Bedroom/Interrogation Room" thread, or subsequent to the battle in which the officer was tagged.
Takin' Bases
Whenever you have Interrogate, any time you defeat all guard captains of a fortified area one of them drops a letter. It is considered a free tag since Guard Captains don't otherwise drop anything.
Rally- You have a unit of 5xRank soldiers that serve you specifically. They are loyal to you and this loyalty cannot be undermined.
Rations/Medical OS- This skill is the mundane version of healer. Medical OS represents modern battlefield medicine while rations represent having a sit down for a nourishing snack.
Scout- You may discern whether a fortified area is a Supply Base, how many units are in the area, whether the units of any named officers are concealed there, or thwart an ambush. You may only perform one of these functions per round per rank, but may have multiple ranks of Scout.
Search- You may spend a round knocking crates, urns, etc open. roll the table below to determine what you find
1: Nothing
2-5: Arrows x 10
6-10: Food (2xRank HP restored)
11-15: Food (5xRank HP restored)
16-19: Weapon (Value as if you defeated a Supply Officer)
20 (or search after defeating a Named Officer): Weapon with ATK/SPD equal to (Highest/Defeated Officer Rank)/2+1d6 (Max 10, roll for both ATK and SPD).
Supply Bases
Whenever the GM specifies that an area is a Supply Base (at the point in which it is first breached or a scout spots it) Each player may use Search to find some item in the area, even if they do not have the skill.
Volley- Whenever you score a critical hit, add twice the value of all attack modifiers to any additional d20 rolled

Optional Skills
These skills might not be welcome at some tables
Armor- It has been brought to my attention that a character at rank 1 could be killed-or rather defeated-on the spot 5% of the time because the damage minimum is 5 points (Rank 1, health score 0 x 5=5 HP) and the dice explodes. The armor skill's levels come in (1) Light (something like leather, or Kevlar vest in modern games), (2) Medium (something like chain, or a ballistic armor suit in modern games), and (3) Heavy (Plate, or a bomb squad suit in modern games). To make Armor more "fair", characters should not have more levels of Armor than they do of Health. This represents the idea that tougher characters can endure greater encumberence. Characters with the Armor skill have 1 armor slot. Characters without the skill can still wear armor and pick up the power ups dropped by Supply Officers but doing either of these results SPD penalties equal to the Armor Points worn.

Armory- This skill is the creation and modification of Armor and Weapons. You can use it to improve ATK and SPD of weapons, apply skill levels, and even allow the use of skills the character does not have. In addition, the character may make weapons entirely from base materials. In either case, the total number of ATK, SPD, and Skill Levels that can be applied to any weapon cannot exceed Base+Rank+Armory Level. For example if a character creates a heavy weapon with 6 points total, the base weapon has ATK 3, SPD 1, and whatever the smith decides to spend the 6 points on. Armor created has 1-3 points of armor depending on its class and requires 1-3 levels of this skill respectively

In fantasy games this requires 1 bar of some sort of metal per point of modification or Armor Point. The GM may declare that certain types of metal must be used for certain skills, or that part of the War  Purse must be spent on gems (or that they be obtained from a weapon that has the property in question). In modern games, weapons may be salvaged to improve existing weapons (a scope here, laser sight there, extended/drum magazine or belt elsewhere)

Quartermaster-You may identify weapons or armor instantly, learning ATK, SPD, Armor, and any special properties of weapons or armor you obtain. Requires Armory 3

Purchasing Skills
You  may purchase two skills at the start of the game for your character. Each mission, you may purchase one skill, plus one per additional goal completed. You rank up every odd numbered skill you purchase.

Optional Rule: Starting Age and Rank
Minimum age in any game is 16, because traditionally, the minimum recognized soldier age can be 14 or 15, but E doesn't like that for sexual games so, 16 it is. For every skill you have after the first two, add two years. Thus if you have 7 skills, you need to be a minimum of 26 years of age (5x2 is 10, 10+16=26) and Rank 4, whereas 15 skills (rank 8) adds 26 years making you 16+26=42 minimum.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:23:20 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »
Timekeeping
Turn- one player's action
Round- every player's action plus all Mooks or Officers controlled by the GM.
Initiative- Doing a roll here is fiddly and slower than just taking a number. Players and NPC Officers act in order of SPD. Mooks that are on the field as a result of a player's Rally or Ambush skill act on the player's turn (as long as the ambush has had time to be set up). Other mooks have SPD 0.

Goals
Kill#, (Time)- Achieve a number of kills within so many of your turns. N/A means that you need that many kills across the whole battle. You may also select Officer and tactical kills as goals at GM discretion
Letters- Letters either appear in supply crates, or on messengers. Your Interrogation Skill may allow you to earn more letters if successful. In forum games, the Interrogation thread should be in a different thread than the main game thread, so time it takes to interrogate individuals should not count against you when determining whether you achieve letter goals. If successful, the GM will edit his post that stated where you earned the Interrogation Tag to reflect success or failure on the attempt.
Mission Completion (Time)- You make an attempt to complete the mission (usually by killing an officer) within a given number of rounds. This goal is never less than 5 or more than 15. Missions that involve standing your ground usually don't have a set officer to kill and are thus not subject to this goal.

Movement
It has come to my attention that 9 zones gets a bit confusing when a zone has a fort that only covers part of a zone. Thus each battlefield will be a 9x9 square arranged as follows
[A1][B1][C1][D1][E1][F1][G1][H1][I1]
[A2][B2][C2][D2][E2][F2][G2][H2][I2]
[A3][B3][C3][D3][E3][F3][G3][H3][I1]
[A4][B4][C4][D4][E4][F4][G4][H4][I4]
[A5][B5][C5][D5][E5][F5][G5][H5][I5]
[A6][B6][C6][D6][E6][F6][G6][H6][I6]
[A7][B7][C7][D7][E7][F7][G7][H7][I7]
[A8][B8][C8][D8][E8][F8][G8][H8][I8]
[A9][B9][C9][D9][E9][F9][G9][H9][I9]

Characters start within a given set of squares (also called areas) at the start of their briefing. Forts take up 4 areas with the northeastern area being the only one specified. For example a fort in E4 also takes up E5, F,5, and F6. This is for simplicity sake (in modern games they may be individual buildings of a complex or other objective based checkpoints.)

A character may move through as many areas as his speed skill. This may allow him to move into another zone. Diagonal movement counts as two areas

Horses:  the games this one is modeled after didn't give horses HP, but the GM could allow some sort of Cavalry skill to use as the horse's Health Level for HP calculations (Rank)x(Skill+1)x5. This represents the fact that more experienced cavalry get better horses. with the new Higher detailed movement, Horses move at a rate equal to (Character speed)+(Cavalry skill) with diagonal movement costing double.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:32:42 AM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 04:27:47 AM »
Modern Games
Cover- A character in a game that features firearms may take a turn to move to cover within a zone, allowing him to deal damage without being targetted until an opponent or group of mooks specifically moves to uncover him. He may still deal damage to them on the turn they take to uncover him (or her as the case may  be). As with fantasy settings, the default ATK of starting weapons is 1.

Vehicles- Vehicles allow movement similar to that of horses. Vehicles are assumed to have HP appropriate to the rank of the character that commands it. A Ship might have a Captain, A Flagship might have an Admiral (rank 10). in games where vehicles are ubiquitous a ship's health level is equal to the character's ability level for HP purposes, you also multiply by Armor (Metal vehicles require a minimum of 1 point of armor).Vehicles may also have skills appropropriate to their owner's rank, but these are usually only ATK, SPD, Armor, and any combat abilities sch as fire. These are paid for on a point for point basis. Health is ignored because it is based on Character Vehicle Skill.

For an example of the above, assume a Lieutenant (Rank 5) with an Attack Chopper and Vehicles 2. The vehicle has 5 (Rank) x3 (Vehicles Skill+1) x5(Standard Multiplier) x2 (the light fast chopper has medium vehicl armor)=150 HP.

At rank 5, the Lieutenant has 9 points to spend but two have been decided on armor leaving 7. The lieutenant opts for 3 points of speed and two each for Fire and ATK. He can set fires in 4 seconds (which we assume is travel time for the missiles to reach their targets) and gets +2 on attacks.

Hacking the Security System- A common theme in modern games is the electronic keycard access. Scenarios involving such access points could either have an officer drop the loot item or a player with the Hacking skill. Locks could have level 1-5 access and be difficulty 11-15. Players could have equivalent skill levels. Maybe one player chooses to be squishy in exchange for the ability to get the team into places... Hack the system could also be used other ways at GM/Scenario discretion. Characters may hack vehicles that are higher tech.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:52:14 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »
Other Issues
Dragons- At the risk of exploitation they have at minimum Combo 5 and Fire 2. This puts their minimum rank at 4. Tougher dragons may have up to 5 levels of health and 3 levels of Armor, even if that skill would normally not be allowed. This takes them all the way to Rank 8, but their Fire is also not something to be taken lightly.
Other Races- No special treatment is required for various fantasy races other than stylistically choosing specific starting skills, such as a dwarf selecting Health level 1, or an elf selecting Ambush, Scout, or Volley. These are entirely optional.
War Purse- Armies aren't free, dragons need hordes, etc. Each mook a character kills is worth 10 GP, each officer, 10 GPxHP. If you accomplish a specific rank or maybe kill an important NPC you may get a weapon upgrade. This weapon has ATK equal to either your rank, or your opponent's rank.

Spells
Basic Elemental Damage
All Basic elemental damage spells may be used as attack forms without their added bonuses allowing the character to attack individuals with them rather than group. All forms shoot an elemental missile instead of their standard group effect. Should actual area of effect matter, it should be noted that your effect centers on your coordinates and affects the number of mooks you roll on a die. up to 20 people can fit into a single zone, thus a rank 10 character with rally stands adjacent to two squares fully occupied by his men, and has 10 others in his own square.
Fire- Functions exactly as the Fire skill above except that this is the magic version
Ice- groups in an area covered by an Ice spell are frozen and unmoving for 1 round per level. Ice may only be used in this way once per battle.
Poison- A cloud of poison that deals 1 point of damage per rank to any individual moving through it. Only one poison cloud may be active at any time but it lasts until the end of the battle. It takes a move action to move the cloud to another area deliberately, but the long duration of the poison cloud is balanced by the fact that the cloud can move naturally to inconvenient places and does not discriminate friend or foe.
Lightning- Your opponents suffer 1 point of damage per round and are shaking with the power running through their bodies, stunning them for 1 round per level
Quake- Deals 1 point per round and stuns opponents in the area for 1 round per level.

Life and Death
Healer- Once per mission per level of this skill, a character may restore RankxSkill HP to an ally in the same zone as himself.
Necromancy- You heal half the damage you deal once per battle. This spell has no additional levels

Mental Magic
Mind Probe- You may interrogate someone mentally. This does not function like standard interrogations which require several posts in tents or what have you. Difficulty to Probe someone's mind is equal to 10+(their Rank)+(their Mind Shield levels) You may only apply your levels of Mind Probe to your roll.
Mind Shield- Your defense against probes or other mental attacks. 10+Rank+Mind Shield
Telekinesis- You may throw opposing units into each other, allowing group casualties, or you may use it to directly strike officers. Telekinesis functions as a normal attack for those who have it. Instead of getting an additional effect like stun or ongoing damage, Telekinesis levels add to the roll directly.
Charm- You may induce a state of infatuation in an individual to fight for you for 1 round per level of charm. Charm has no effect on Mooks.

Advanced Magic (Spells that require other spells)
Arcane Bolt- You fire off a bolt that automatically hits and ignores the armor of the target, allowing you to target officers for full damage rather than 1/4 damage. The damage roll is still erratic but has a larger high end since your ATK and Combo values add to your damage. The drawback is that you deal damage to yourself as if you had rolled a 20 (exploding as normal) on any critical failure. Requires any two Elemental Damage spells.
Relic Lore-You may identify weapons or armor instantly, learning ATK, SPD, Armor, and any special properties of weapons or armor you obtain. Requires 3 other spells.
Revive-You may restore a fallen foe to full health once. You may only have one level in this skill. Requires Healer and Necromancy
Skeletons- you resurrect up to 5 skeletal privates once per turn. Requires Necromancy
Wall- You may provide cover to you and your allies for one round, allowing them to attack once without being targettable by opponents in the area. Requires Quake or Arcane Bolt
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:30:12 PM by steelsmiter »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
Changelog (Note I'm dividing the huge wall of text into several posts. Appologies for inconvenience.)
Edited Vehicles.
Modified Armor Rules because the old rules didn't make sense.
Added Revive and a mundane version of healer.
Greatly improved formatting, added spell categories
Reorganized unit information behind spoilers
Added spells
Expanded on vehicles, added a few rule clarifications.
Added Armory for making and modifying gear.
Added Quartermaster and its magical equivalent, Relic Lore.
Added Scout
Specified Interrogation details and added the optional Armor rules.
fixed ranking up
added Wall Spell
Changed grid to 9x9 and clarified fort positions. Expanded movement rules
Added Optional Rule: Starting Age and Rank
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:24:35 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Kaykay

• Velvet Vixen
  • Deverified
  • Bacchae
  • If I had sex as much as I got screwed I'd be happy
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:24:32 AM »
How Rank & Skill Work - "You rank up every odd Numbered Skill" (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19, etc.)
                                        Rank 1 = 1-2 Skills, Rank 2 = 3-4 Skills, Rank 3 = 5-6 Skills and so on.

A Skill at Level 1 Costs 1 Skill Point and an Additional Skill Point for each level
                                     Ambush 1 = 1 Skill Point, Ambush 2 = 2 Skill Points

Ambush 2 & Combo 4 = 6 Skill Points, 6 Skill Points lands you in Rank 3 (Which is 5-6 Skill Points)

How Health Works - Health Skill Plus 1 Times Rank times 5
                                 3+1(4) x 3 x 5 = 60 HP

Offline Shjade

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »
My eyes sorta start rolling when the dice-heavier parts are on the table, because that always happens with me, but setting aside numbers balancing I like the way this is set up for the most part. I've played a lot of the DW/SW series so I'm familiar with the general concept you're shooting for and in as much as it can be replicated in text I'd say this is a fair attempt.

Some things I wonder about:

Interrogation - how does this work time-wise, exactly? You say the interrogation itself happens in a separate thread so as not to take up time in the main skirmish, which makes sense, but where is that time taking place, then? Is the officer just captured and set aside for post-battle interrogation? Does the interrogator go through a whole interrogation sequence in fast-forward time so that they're done by their next turn, somehow, despite that not really making sense from a linear time perspective? I'm not sure I see how live-action interrogation could work without making things very wonky for the rest of the battle that's going on around it.

Volley - I'm pretty sure I'm reading this right but just wanted to confirm: adding to "any additional d20 rolled" just means adding to any roll on a d20, not specifically rolling any additional 20s on the d20, right? As in, it's not only modifying crit sequences, it's a straight crit damage multiplier on whatever extra damage comes after the first 20 regardless of that extra value? (This is the kind of thing I meant when I mentioned the eye-rolling earlier; my brain just doesn't wrap around XdX stuff very quickly for some reason. x.x)

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
Interrogation- I've set up "Tent" threads for each player. They do their interrogations in their tents.
I post when they've captured an officer immediately in their tent thread. If they finish an interrogation before the end of the battle I post any relevant information they got and add to their "letters". They would have until the next battle to get all the captured officers to spill the beans.

Volley- Well, say if you have ATK 7, and you roll a critical you roll an additional d20 for every roll of 20 you got.
 Volley doesn't add d20s beyond your normal exploding d20s, but it does double any associated modifiers. So if you end up rolling 3d20 (20, 20, 8), you'd add +(3x7) 21 (69 total damage). If you're also in a building set on fire by an ally with Fire 4, you'd add +8 (fire is a relevant modifier because you can knock people into it, but it should only apply once).

Offline Shjade

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
Well, the Volley explanation clarified that for me. ... I think.

The Interrogation one not so much. So they capture an officer and that officer immediately ends up in a tent, wherever that is. Tentspace. Okay. But if they're interrogating that officer in their tent, they can't also still be participating in the battle, right? Because they're busy interrogating in Tentspace. The only way they could finish an interrogation before the end of a battle would be by taking themselves out of the battle to interrogate their captive instead, so they're effectively absent from the battle until that's complete and they can return to it. Yes? I don't see how it works otherwise; you can't be in your tent interrogating a captive and fighting someone outside your tent at the same time.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »
Well, the Volley explanation clarified that for me. ... I think.

The Interrogation one not so much. So they capture an officer and that officer immediately ends up in a tent, wherever that is. Tentspace. Okay. But if they're interrogating that officer in their tent, they can't also still be participating in the battle, right?
You're thinking of the time incorrectly (though accurately, just not in a way that applies to this game). The interrogations do happen after battle, but in order to avoid clogging up the battlegrounds the occur in this other tent thread. Think of it like a Flashback or in this case a flash forward. The players get their letters when they finish the interrogation because that's the closest to what happened in the video game (where the letters were gotten immediately and there was only 1 level of interrogate).

Those characters were assumed to have interrogated their victims (otherwise the Interrogation skill would not be required to get letters off of someone other than a messenger), the only difference was the lack of a cutscene in the game which would take away from the battle. In my game the cutscene does not take away from the battle because it happens in a separate area. It would be like going to the preparation screen where you earn skills and such, having an extra menu item "interrogate" and choosing a bunch of dialogue options, then having the system arbitrate whether you got the letters.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:19:06 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Shjade

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
There's a difference, though, between acquiring pre-written plans or messages and extracting potentially more up-to-date information from a person. (This is also setting aside the accuracy of either: fake letters intended to be found, captives who lie, etc.)

What I'm trying to get at is whether an active interrogation provides information that is used in the same battle as the interrogation itself or if it provides information post-battle for use in the next one. The latter makes sense; the former doesn't so much and sounds, at least on paper, more like metagaming.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:07:24 PM by Shjade »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
That's ok I'm not looking for realism.

Edit: I just realized that sounded like a snark. It isn't. The long and short of it is that the players will get whatever information I want them to get.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:15:49 PM by steelsmiter »

Offline Shjade

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
No worries. ;p

It's not really realism I'm concerned about, though, it's tactical advancement. Depending on how lengthy an interrogation gets you're likely to learn a lot more than you would from some intercepted courier message. If this system is saying that happens immediately upon the officer's capture you end up with situations like, say, my force attacking your force and routing it pretty heavily, capturing you during the pursuit, and then, for no apparent reason visible on the battlefield, immediately retreating and rushing west to uncover the ambush that had been waiting for me to pursue your routing unit, followed by going straight to where the main supply base is hidden and from there to the real commander's camp to assault him directly while circumventing the main enemy army.

Why can I do all this? Because I got the benefit of a seven-hour interrogation in an instant.

Edit: Alternatively, and even more awkwardly, this would probably lead to either lag time on the main thread regardless of having its own Tentspace thread or ongoing information leakage. Maybe in IC time the interrogation is happening instantly in its own space, but in OOC time I can only post in one thread at any given moment, so if my interrogation is ongoing I'm delayed posting in the battle and vice versa, making both take longer as a result. And, hey, if we're letting the interrogation inform the battle instantly, why wouldn't battle information inform the interrogation the same way? Meaning I'd constantly have more to demand from the captive as I came across things I wanted to know more about in the battle at hand, turning one officer into an ongoing source of information (until he runs out of things he knows, at least, but who knows how long that would take depending on the rank of the guy I caught?) as circumstances change. Or, if things go forward in the combat thread at a steady pace, the interrogation thread might be useless since the information gleaned from it comes way too late to be useful which, though more "realistic," would make the interrogation skill kinda useless.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:26:37 PM by Shjade »

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
oh it doesn't happen in an instant, because you're playing out the interrogation in another thread. What happens is:
1) You defeat the officer
2) I post in your Tent that the officer is available for combat.
3) You start your interrogation/sex scene as appropriate to the specific game using this system.
4) You do not stop posting in battle. I will have you swarmed (because some officer noticed the lull) if you don't continue fighting while you're posting in your tent.
5) It is extremely likely that several Battleground turns will pass.
6) You can't get the letter after 1 post or even a pair of posts in the tent. The officer will not orgasm/panic as appropriate with a single post.
7) You get the letter in the battle ground several rounds later (or even at the end of the battle because there will be a delay between battles). It may be applicable to this battle or may be used as the premise for the next briefing.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
Ahhh, okay. As long as there's at least some reasonably significant delay involved I guess it's manageable, even if it does still feel kinda awkward. Not all video game mechanics translate very well to other media. ;p

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
Yeah, and if I was going for a realistic game I would not include the Interrogation skill at all. As it is, it's difficult for me to imagine killing say... 30 guys in a single turn. It happened in DW5:XL if you go by the caveat that a turn is the time it takes for you to complete your character's full combo.

Heck with Lu Bu in the Rampage part of Challenge mode I killed 80 once by throwing a Musou attack right after hit number 5. (in fantasy versions of this game, criticals represent Musou or the generic equivalent. In modern games they represent a more accurate "spray and pray").

Offline Kaykay

• Velvet Vixen
  • Deverified
  • Bacchae
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
Am I hearing another participant? ^_^

Offline Shjade

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
I figure modern-day warfare Musou would be using the undersling grenade launcher on your assault rifle. Or maybe an RPG. >.>

Depending on who you're playing you can get upwards of 20 kills or so with just one charge attack. Gan Ning's C5, for instance - the big fire spiral - in DW5, which you can do fast enough to juggle entire crowds infinitely if you position right. I think that'd be a bit broken in this system though. xD

Another participant in what?

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
sorry I put a game in Group RP Wanted called Goin' Commando

You're right about the Grenade or RPG though. Heck  everyone can explain it differently. If you've somehow managed to get SPD 10, you could pull a Matrix as fas I'm concerned. even though I don't like any of them after the first.

Offline Kaykay

• Velvet Vixen
  • Deverified
  • Bacchae
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »
I'm just teasing, but yeah as he said we've a group role play just starting.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
Ah right, that. Yeah, no.

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
No worries Shjade.
Excuse me for a moment while I make a changelog post:

Added Mental Magic.