You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 06:41:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: what MMOs is anyone playing?  (Read 9766 times)

Offline KaylaM

Re: what MMOs is anyone playing?
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
*scratches head* ...an uninspired cover of an old pop hit?

I honestly don't get it.

Agreed. Don't see a single appealing thing there

Online Doomsday

« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
Wouldn't it be more Marauder having the Greatsword, as opposed to the Gladiator?  I thought the Glads were one hand and shield (According to what we discussed about the game, Sin.  I could, of course, be misremembering it.)

Well, it's like I said, if WHM can switch off between wand/shield and two handed staff, it would only make sense if new two handed swords were implemented that worked with GLD, PLD and DRK.

Otherwise it wouldn't be a total leap of logic for them to just sword and shield, I believe.

Offline SinXAzgard21

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:03 AM »
Well, it's like I said, if WHM can switch off between wand/shield and two handed staff, it would only make sense if new two handed swords were implemented that worked with GLD, PLD and DRK.

Otherwise it wouldn't be a total leap of logic for them to just sword and shield, I believe.

But that wouldn't work because gladiator needs the block to be viable as a tank.

Online Doomsday

« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »
It makes sense mechanically, though, and warriors do fine without shields. Though since warriors arguably do more damage and have higher health, I'm sure there would be some sort of trade-off for the paladin using a greatsword. What would be really interesting is if there was some sort of mechanic that allowed you to switch between a greatsword and a sword/shield setup depending on if you're using sword or shield oath.

Offline SinXAzgard21

« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
It makes sense mechanically, though, and warriors do fine without shields. Though since warriors arguably do more damage and have higher health, I'm sure there would be some sort of trade-off for the paladin using a greatsword. What would be really interesting is if there was some sort of mechanic that allowed you to switch between a greatsword and a sword/shield setup depending on if you're using sword or shield oath.

Warriors do fine with out shields because their abilities restore health.  Warriors bank on tons of cooldowns.  So if they did give gladiators a greatsword they'd have to build them like warriors.... Which would be effing pointless.  Just give Warriors the greatsword.

Online Doomsday

« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Fair enough. In that event, they might as well make them scythes though, as I'm told in FFXI they used greatswords and scythes.

Offline SinXAzgard21

« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Fair enough. In that event, they might as well make them scythes though, as I'm told in FFXI they used greatswords and scythes.

I see them having their own class to go with the job and most likely they'll use greatswords and be tanks.  While scythes would be nice, I have a feeling you'd have nothing but dark knights running around do to them having a scythe.  So I see them with greatswords.

Offline Kazyth

• Someone's Dark Prince Charming, Taco King
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
Just started poking around on DDO.  Think I played it a bit back in the day, because I have the 32 point build and Favored Soul class unlocked.  Still trying to decide what to actually play though if I stick with it.

Offline Tsenta

« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Just started poking around on DDO.  Think I played it a bit back in the day, because I have the 32 point build and Favored Soul class unlocked.  Still trying to decide what to actually play though if I stick with it.

What server do you play on? Cause E has a decent guild going on.

Offline Mikem

• *Cancer Survivor*
  • Permabanned
  • Seducer
  • No labels. I'm a Man and that's all that I am.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
Planetside 2.....what? That counts.

Offline Kazyth

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »
I'm starting over on Thelanis, which I read was the E server.  It's been so long, so many changes... and I didn't get far the first time I played, so I'm not really losing anything.

Offline Tsenta

« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
Yeah, the E guild is on Thelanis.  I've been trying to get more people to play but so far most of 'em aren't happy the good stuff is either VIP or have to purchase. XD

Offline Kazyth

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »
Eh.  Pretty much every FTP I have ever played had that, other than maybe GW2, and that one requires you to buy the game first anyway.  As long as I can group with and game with some E peeps now and then, I'm happy.

Offline Tsenta

« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Yeah, thing with DDO is you can actually grind favor for Turbine Points and spend them on the VIP/purchase items anyway. Sure it'd take almost forever but it's possible at least.

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
Planetside 2.....what? That counts.

Hairyheretic, Miller (EU)
Loyalty until Death, Strength in Unity.

Offline KaylaM

« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
I'm having more fun with the Warlords of Draenor beta then I've had with any of the non-WoW MMOs I've tried in the last few years

Offline Kazyth

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #266 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
Someone gifted me WoD for WoW a while back, so I will probably check it out when that drops, but WoW just can't really hold my attention now.

I'm enjoying poking around DDO again.  Started off with something of an evasion pally.  A few splashed levels of fighter and rogue for goodies, then all Pally the rest of the way.

Good times.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
I'm having more fun with the Warlords of Draenor beta then I've had with any of the non-WoW MMOs I've tried in the last few years

My WoW interest has lapsed to near nothing, but everything about WoD has me itching for it to come out and return.

I don't know how Blizzard does it. Their flagship game is 10 years old this November, runs strictly on a paid subscription basis (minus cosmetic optionals) when the strong-rising business model is F2P+Microtransaction, keep their graphics/hardware requirements low enough that 10-year old machines can still run the modern program, and they still outpace every single one of their competitors in total subscriptions revenue by a mile - using Wikipedia's Statistics table as a guideline (guideline only, it cites WoW at 7.6mil, rather than the end-of-Q2 6.8mil reported), the only games exceeding its player base are Runescape and something I've never heard of called Dofus, both F2P.

Sure, Skinner's Box and all that. But it doesn't explain how they're able to build a better Skinner's Box than anyone else starting from so far behind technically.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:39:10 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Online Doomsday

« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
I'm not a WoW player, but I couldn't imagine going 14 months between new content. I understand their sub numbers have been falling sharply.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
I'm not a WoW player, but I couldn't imagine going 14 months between new content. I understand their sub numbers have been falling sharply.

Two closely related phenomena. According to a friend I have who owns Blizzard stock and gets shareholder reports, their actual income from the game is dropping far slower because of how much business they get out of the Chinese/Asian market and the weird payment method used there, but even the diehard players are sick of it by now. Expansion releases always crank the subscription count up a bunch though, so it'll get a shot of life support when WoD comes out.

Online ShadowFox89

« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
I started playing Swordsman Online, which is good if you like Wuxia.

Offline Kazyth

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
If anyone is still playing DDO on here, just had a quick question.  I have the points saved up for it, but I'm wondering if the Artificer is worth it.  It seems like a really cool and different class, but I'm still rather on the fence about it.

Offline Dallas

• Absolute Equality & Compassion Advocate / 'He Who Makes Games' / The 'Twisted Crow'
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • "Don't push your luck..."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:14 AM »
Marvel Heroes. About two weeks into it. I feel like the only E player on that gig. :/

Currently leveling Cyke to get some XP synergy for my other heroes. He's effective but can be a bit mind-numbing for me to play. Even with back-up from Magik.

Offline Tsenta

« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
If anyone is still playing DDO on here, just had a quick question.  I have the points saved up for it, but I'm wondering if the Artificer is worth it.  It seems like a really cool and different class, but I'm still rather on the fence about it.

You can unlock Artificer through favor later on, so no real point in BUYING it.  But it's a pretty good solo class I'm hearing, combined with Warforged. Self heals, trapfind, limited casting, pets!  Plus UMD (I think) for other magic stuff.  I'm actually working to unlock Artificer then reincarnate my cleric (once it hits lvl 20) into an arty.

Offline Nowherewoman

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »
Some Champs Online, mostly because it's the only real option for superhero RPGs atm (please do NOT bring up the console abortion that is DCUO.)

Lifer in Secret World, so I dip in and out there.

Lot of Old Republic.

I'm poking at Tera the second time, and there are some fun things about it buuuut...unconvinced.