You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 08:50:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Brainstorming an OWoD Werewolf mod  (Read 335 times)

Offline RivedaTopic starter

Brainstorming an OWoD Werewolf mod
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
First off, I should say this is for a tabletop game, not an Elliquiy game at all, though if it's successful I suppose I might use it again here or something. If that's inappropriate for this forum, I apologize.

The inspiration for this setting mod came from a post on rpg.net:
The setting is the Götterdämmerung with biker jackets and Mythos monsters; it rocks on toast. The Garou themselves are a bunch of racist, hateful, casually murderous, genocidal, misanthropic ethnic stereotypes who are too busy gutting teenagers for littering to fight the tentacle-monsters…. I'd say, go really old-school; have the protagonists of the game be classic werewolves. That is to say, human sorcerors and shamans who can turn into wolves as part of a ritual involving a wolf-skin belt and powerful psychotropic drugs.
And I said to myself, I want to run that!

Now, I've never run nor even played Werewolf: the Apocalypse, though I've read some of the supplements and mined them for crossover stuff for a Mage: the Ascension game that lasted over a decade. So I do have some background in the game at least. I'm also not usually a biker-jacket kind of GM—it's a stretch for me. But I know my sorcerers and shaman.

I need help brainstorming the setting conversion—how many sorcerers are there? How many are in the service of Gaia? How are they organized? Do they all have wolfskin belts, or are they a rare treasure and most get by with AKs and body armor? And so on.

So…if the idea interests you as much as it does me, post your free-associated thoughts here and we'll brainstorm.

(EDIT: To be totally clear, in this setting hack, there are no Garou. None. No Fera either. Or anyway, if any "natural" shapechangers exist, they have no part in the war.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:36:41 PM by Riveda »

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Brainstorming an OWoD Werewolf mod
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:51:43 AM »
   Let’s see here: 

So the challenge is basically to build an alternative setting for Mage: The Ascension, focusing on the traditional roll of the Garou—battling the Wyrm and such—taken over by a society of sorcerers? 

Not sure where to begin with that… 

Will the Wyrm be mostly represented by Nephandi and their minions?  Or will their be sufficient spiritual presence that Awakened humans aren't needful.  Possessing spirits can produce Fomori and worse, for example? 

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:53:29 AM »
It's an alternate setting for Werewolf: the Apocalypse, not for Mage. There are no Sphere mages, no Technocracy, no Nephandi. Gaia and the Triat are real, not metaphors. Fomori are Bane-possessed humans or animals, just as in stock W:tA.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:51 AM »
  Okay, starting to get a feel for this now. 

A.  Are all the non-Werewolf the Apololypse elements going to be out of the setting? 

B.  Will there be a major enemy conspiracy along the lines of pentex? 

C.  If so, will the connection between Pentex and the less civil vampires be retained? 

As to your werewolves: 
--Is this a family sort of business?  Or is it more like a secret society in and of itself?  If anyone with the aptitude can be taught the magic necessary to fight the wyrm, perhaps there's some politicking among faction leaders over who to recruit?  How to teach the new warriors?  Whether or not certain governments or their agencies can be brought into the know. 

--What are the traditional trappings of these spirit-warriors beyond their wolfskin belts?  Do they physically enter the spirit world to seek knowledge and power as well as battle corruption?  Can they do this as easily as starting into a mirror?  Do they use a ritual with some drugs?  Does it involve a protracted quest?  If the last, does the spirit world have a place where it overlaps the corporeal world on the whole?  Or does it generally involve moving from a spiritually puisant place to an ideologically significant world? 

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
All the non-W:tA elements will be out of the setting, yes. For instance, there will probably be vampires, but they will be faceless antagonists of whose internecine politics and divisions the Gaian sorcerers are almost completely ignorant. I'll probably change a bunch of vampire mechanics just to keep my players on their toes.

There will be Pentex. I love Pentex. My home wifi is named Pentex. Whether it will have a connection to vampires, I'm not sure; that always struck me as a little bit strained.

The "good" sorcerers, as an overall group, call themselves the Nation of Gaia. It's a secret society and I need to figure out its internal organization. There are probably families all of whose members are part of the Nation, but they would constitute an ever-shrinking percentage of the Nation's membership.

Anyone smart and dedicated enough can learn sorcery, but shamanism requires a calling from the spirits, and psychic abilities are innate (trainable but not teachable). All three types serve the Nation.

How new members are recruited is one of the things I haven't decided yet. Ditto factional politics, because I don't know what the factions are.

I'm not sure how the government fits in. How does it operate in a regular W:tA game?

Yes, the Gaian sorcerers can enter the Umbra, but I'm thinking it requires a ritual, not just "stepping sideways"; it may be more like astral projection than physical travel. There are caerns, I think, just as in W:tA, and groups that guard them; the "sept" terminology will need revision, but picking new names for things isn't hard.

Someone on IRC brought up the point that, in regular W:tA, going Crinos and wading into the enemy is actually pretty dumb; smart Garou stay in Homid and use sniper rifles and body armor, because fomori usually have silver or Wyrm-toxins or other sources of aggravated damage available. On the other hand, going Crinos and wading into the enemy is cool. What can I do to promote it?

Offline Muse

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
  That's easy. 

Let Pentex have the legal backing necessary to get whatever weapons and armor the story calls for. 

The Nation of Gaia, on the other hand, are completely civilian and limited to civilian weapons wherever the story is set.  If that's someplace like the U.S. where firearms are STILL readily available, perhaps in some stories the Nation is under investigation.  Acquiring a firearms bring unnecessary scrutiny. 

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:55 AM »
Yeah, gotta figure the government is aware of the Nation of Gaia on some level, perhaps as a network of eco-terrorist organizations. On the other hand, pitting the entire US government against the Nation is a good way to render the sorcerers swiftly extinct. So how does the government fit into the setting? Why hasn't the FBI massacred all the good guys?