Hail the new overlord (game interest check, and recruiting.)

Started by insaneplots, June 07, 2013, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneplots

So a little idea for a small group play has come to mind. Im not sure how far it will go but it's worth at least seeing if their is interest.

Overlord II  If you've played the game you have a basic idea of what the plot would entail.

I was thinking a new overlord the son of the last overlord has come to power with his father gone (slain or destroyed by his own power.) now he must reclaim his domains grow in power command his minions. and even claim a mistress or several. I was thinking of expanding the game mechanics to include the option of enslaving/ corrupting not only potential mistress's but slaves via a method of dark mind control. mostly The game would need female roles but maybe a few male roles to play as foes in various areas As well as possible unique minions. The main minion types are the Browns (grunt melee Fighter), Reds (weaker ranged fighters), Blues (the only minions that can swim also the healers able to revive fallen minion), Greens (stealthier fighters immune to poison), and the black (a new minion with shadow powers)
Overlord= Insaneplots
Gnarl (overlords minion advisor)=
Quaver(minion Jester)=
Giblet(minion forgemaster)=

Ironwolf85

Being an avid player of Overlord myself, and enjoying it's silly take on usually serious fantasy games, I'd enjoy playing a light hearted RP of it. Especally for my first rp in return to E in a while.

However I see a few problems with this RP.
1. minions aren't sexy. They are elemental-ish goblins, and while helarious, don't seem like somthing a Player wants to be.
2. Everyone wants to be overlord, and you have outright claimed the spot for yourself, making you the main character and everyone else secondary or supporting ones.
2b. There is no overarching plot for people to be involved in, they will be simple spectators or a "Greek Choir" commenting on your actions.

My suggestion is that you have the children of the 2nd overlord competing for his throne, now that his dark magnifigence has passed on.
He had three mistresses and after the fall of the empire, lots of time to spawn bags and bags of baby overlords... now big bad dad is gone, and all the tykes are trying to take his place. On top of that there are other black hearts who scheme to become the next overlord, it isn't a hederatary position after all...
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

insaneplots

I'm never above ideas and I like the plot take.

After all the 2nd overlord had three mistresses so it seems fitting that their be numerous offspring.  So numerous overlord princes/ and possible princesses.

The one of two things that would have to happen of course the minion hives would have to split to allow for such each to have use of them. Or each offspring controls one type of minion until their defeated and their sibling steals the hive.

With the number of hives that would set five overlord/ess roles.

Ironwolf85

It depends on how many people we get, and remember we don't have to copy the game's exact plots.
With multiple armored overlords on the field, it'll be less of a clean split, and in keeping with the series, more of a civil war/brawl, I suppose a little like game of thrones. Because remember the minions only serve The Overlord, and with no overlord (more like overlordlings) in power they tend to go aimless, and the tower heart sourse of a lot of badassness goes dorment while awaiting a new master.

The minion hives aren't the only things out there either.
The Roman-esque empire was destroyed, but remains a culture (YAY juno)
The elves and other magical light creatures always spring back, because good like evil always find a way.
Humans are humans are humans, from Nordburg, to Everlight, to the wastelands, and beyond, and they tend to be humany.
hmmm.... I could put some real elbow grease into this!

I think my "lordling" would likely be one a half-elf, just for the funnyness of it all, and as a nod to Mistress Fay.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

insaneplots

there are a number of way it could play out.

1. as the young evil ones came of age, they were given a tower and small domain to rule over in the netherworld and in respect the world above when this happened the minions divided the four original hives and the new black minions were already divided. each one has their own tower heart which is a portion of the power from the tower-heart.

2 the tower-heart is dormant and it's a battle for the throne alliances can be forged, broken, power can be obtained. and of course minions can be controlled by all regardless.

3. with so many evil little ones the power from the tower heart scattered The hives are lost and split and it up to each young overlordling to hunt down their parts of the tower heart and their part of the hive to defeat their siblings and claim their part.

the black minions being complete fabricated for this plot would have to be balanced out I was thinking weak on their own the gender-less black minion has two main powers the first being shadow stealth they can portal between shadows and the second is possession they can claim a human body as a host. this makes these particular minions useful for sabotage or as one half of a player character.

Ironwolf85

aha interisting, lets not forget the lore that is already there.
such as Rose, who is not only their grandmother, but a force for balance/order in the world. and where she would weigh in.
I'll post a basic idea of the overlord universe with some art for the game.

I think a good dynamic for the minions would be the hives producing for all four, however they only use their own mana.
and the tower heart being the magical nuke that it is, remains tucked away in the black heart of the netherworld, under the watchful eye of Gnarl, who is like our evil little yoda.

I'm going towards magic with my overlord, and having him come from Mistress Fay.

I'll be using this image

This will be followed by world info.

Ironwolf85

Tower Wars
"Once upon a time, there was a evil overlord, and as overlords do, he smote much, enslaved many, and set a new standard in evil that warmed our little black hearts. The old master had a good run, a very good run indeed, but like all overlords, eventually a group of Do-goodiing adventurers got lucky, made one hell of a mess too. But unlike the last several masters, he was far more "progressive" taking three lovely mistresses, and spawning bags of little tykes to continue the legacy of evil and mayhem."
"Now the thing is we minions don't do well with cute little babies, even those of an overlord, they are always getting dropped, eaten, or just plain forgotten about in some dark corner of the netherworld ect, so we left some with their mothers and lost others. Now that they've come of age, it's time for them to claim their birth right, and in the greatest of evil traditions. Kill/maim/brutalize each other for it."

Game Concepts and facts about the world.

The World: the world is classical fantasy, with a twist on tropes and humor. such as hippie elves, drunk dwarves, fat homly faries, and the meat eating psychopathic unicorn. Feel free to come up with locations, but be sure to reference the wiki http://overlord.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page before innovating.

Minions

Minions are created in hives using Lifeforce, where you have lifeforce, you can make minions. Most minions are chaotic, loyal, humorous, none too bright, and above all else love to wreak havoc. As there are a number of lordlings, finding a minion hive and bringing it back to the netherworld means it will make minions for everyone, but from the lifeforce they have gathered. (think minion bank)
Browns: Created from Earth lifeforce, Browns are the front line fighters, and do the grunt work, due to their hardy bodies & policy of "Bash first, jump up and down on the corpse later."
Reds: Created from Fire lifeforce, Reds are merry pranksters and love to roast things (such as elves and halflngs). Reds are capable of creating and throwing fire, they are also outright immune to fire.
Greens: Created from Wind/nature lifeforce, greens are backstabbing assassins with odious bathing habits. They have the ability to become invisible when standing still, they are immune to toxins and poisons.
Blues: Created from Water lifeforce, Blues in short can bring dead minions back to life. Half the time their minds are in the spirit world, therefore they are terrible in combat. But can go invisible and intangible.
Oddities: Overlords have long taken chances playing with life force, some have given old minions new powers, or created temporary minion breeds with special powers such as strengh, power, types of spells such as possession, presence, halo, ect. But the four tribes are always the workhorses of the horde.

Magic: magic is esoteric energy, linked to both artifacts and natural skill, Magic comes in four forms, you'll know the types when you see it.
Nature: Naturally occuring kind, tends to occur in lay-lines and magical plants, Elves are born with nature magic.
Evil: This is what the Overlord tends to play with, fire, brainwashing, ebony pumping up peons, and so on.
Good: Good Fae like faries, unicorns, and so on use this kind of benevolent magic for stuff like making cookies, helping people, and other such fluffy stuff. that being said, it's got it's destructive applications.
Sour: Magic can go wild and cause crazy shit to happen when someone tries to minuplate it.

Races: they are incredibly stereotyped,
Human:
Like minions the mind of the average human is easily minuplated, however while minions are chaotic, humans are far more ordered in a group. Humans are a race of builders, when properly organized they can actually present a serious threat, when disorganized they are easy prey.
Elf:
Hippie treehuggers to the last, Elves are naturally magical, and 9 times out of 10 it's good magic. Elves believe in their Mother Goddess, and their ability to ally with other creatures like faeries and trolls, and magical power can be a true pain your armored backside. But they are fun to burn, and even more fun to enslave.
Dwarf:
Sorry no image, dwarves are s stocky and industrious race and still reeling from the loss of their Great Beerkettle. Dwarves are some of the most physically hardy beings in existance, and getting drunk only makes them tougher. Like elves they are a "good race" but are not actually infused with good magic.
Halfling:
Dirty glutinous little bastards who live in hillsides, love food, drink, song, and so on. they are generally a "good" race, but lack the industry of dwarves or the magic of elves making them perfect victims.

Important NPC's
Rose: The grandmother of the current crop of potential overlords, she prefers Order and Balance to good and evil. She and her sentenals are iin the background and may offer assistance.

Gnarl: Master of minions, he serves the overlord as advisor and buracrat, in this fight he is helping everyone (and nobody) as an advisor. He does not serve anyone however, as nobody is overlord yet. He may also be responsible for the previous overlord's death (oops left the back door unlocked) think of him as your evil scheming yoda.

insaneplots

Ok over stepping the helping develop the plot boundary into the taking the game idea over there a bit. A lot of good ideas that I like I have no problem with a bit of coop gming two evil heads are better then one.

Now obviously a few details are need ironing.

Such as a means to make the game balanced out either with a system of some kind.

And of course with the mention of lost overlord spawn that makes for some long lost brothers and sisters popping up in random locations.

There is also the fact that so far only yourself and I have posted any interest.