How do you make a hyperlinked table of contents

Started by Inkidu, June 03, 2013, 06:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

So, lately I've been thinking about adding a hyperlinked table of contents to my request and Os and Os threads. I've seen people make a list of links that take the clicker to a specific post within the thread. I like that idea and was wondering how it was done.

It would have to take them to a specific post, and it would have to not open a new tab or window.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Stella

You can find the direct link to individual posts by clicking the blue heading at the top of each post. It's like, 're: thread title' and then underneath there's the reply number and other details. If you put that as your hyperlink address it'll lead to that specific post.

I hope that answers your question and makes sense. :)

Oniya

I think the 'opening in another tab' thing is browser-specific, not something that you code for.  I might be wrong, but no matter what link I click from someone's post in Elliquiy, it always opens in a new tab.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Geraint

Actually, to make sure that you actually pick up the link for the post (as opposed to the link for the thread, or the link for the last post posted) you should go to the actual post, click edit, and then click save edit.  When it saves, it will pop up the individual post address in the address bar at the top of the page.  You can use that for your link.

As for not opening up in a new window, I'm not sure you as the poster can control that, as it depends on the reader's settings, both on site and in the browser.

Mine pop up in new windows or new tabs, depending on how I have IE set, and nobody has ever complained about that.

Geraint

Quote from: Stella on June 03, 2013, 06:16:23 AM
You can find the direct link to individual posts by clicking the blue heading at the top of each post. It's like, 're: thread title' and then underneath there's the reply number and other details. If you put that as your hyperlink address it'll lead to that specific post.

I hope that answers your question and makes sense. :)

:-[  yeah that works too. :D

Inkidu

Oh, well, I just thought'd help some people with clutter, but if it's beyond my control it's beyond my control. Thanks folks.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

It is beyond your control.  The Table of Contents for the EH&P opens a new tab for the link in FireFox but a new window for the link in IE for me.  The browser settings control it.