You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 10:30:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: VBulletin  (Read 777 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

VBulletin
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:58:26 PM »
Alright, a certain member has been trying to convince me of the glories of VBulletin.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

It's pricey, but donations are still coming, so it's not an overburdening expense.

Offline Sherona

Re: VBulletin
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
Sad to say, I have no clue what that is :x

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
VBulletin is the most popular commercial forum software on the Internet. SMF being one of the most popular free forum softwares.

Offline Xillen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:14:55 AM »
I never liked VBulletin. I dunno why, but the interface irks me to no end. The way new replies and stuff are working out... The way PM's work... *shudders*

I'm participating on another board which uses VBulletin, and I'd take SMF over it any time of the day!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »
rpg.net, dndonlinegames, myth-weavers, and enworld are all examples of role playing sites that use VBulletin. All four are significantly larger than Elliquiy.

Offline Xillen

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:36:08 AM »
I've used RPG.net and ENWorld for a while, and I'm also on some smaller boards that use VBulletin, and I can work with it, but I just like SMF a lot more.

Is SMF's database gonna clunk up if we get more users?

Also, I've only used the forum. If VBulletin has full site integration, then that might be something worth considering.

Offline Jeramiahh

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:37:13 AM »
While I'm not active enough with other forums to really give a dead-set opinion, I do like the way this forum's set up. Unless there's some really awesome new feature that might be added with vBulletin, I don't see any reason to change, especially since you're already overworked. =P

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:46:35 AM »
While I'm not active enough with other forums to really give a dead-set opinion, I do like the way this forum's set up. Unless there's some really awesome new feature that might be added with vBulletin, I don't see any reason to change, especially since you're already overworked. =P

Well that's just it.

There are dozens of cool features that VBulletin has : /

I can set things up to be similar - it's not like the three-column layout is something SMF ships with, but still.

Offline Xillen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:51:29 AM »
I prefer a better base interface than extra cool features, and the current interface that E uses, I prefer highly over any vBulletin board I've ever been on.

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
I don't know ... I have an account on Myth-Weavers, and I don't use it a lot anymore, but when I did, even after running through a couple games on the site, I remember finding it annoying, counter-intuitive and frustrating. I have no idea how much of that has to do with the site admins or the software itself, but there you have it.