You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 04:08:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Help needed for deciding (or even designing) a system for tabletop [SOLVED]  (Read 474 times)

Online SainTopic starter

Heya!

I know people here are good at this and eager to help so here we go. I need a system a campaign I'm going to run with a certain group of friends. I'll keep it short and clean so you get a good idea of what sort of system I'm looking for.

Setting:
-High fantasy.
-Players have high power with emphasis on growth (think wolverine -> demigod levels of power).
-A rather versatile custom made world.

Requirements from the syste:
-Allows for me (GM) to create stats for custom classes / sets of abilities that fit the descriptions the players provide me.
-Characters preferably able to exchange blows multiple times before being defeated (I'd rather players can't kill each other in one hit).
-Interesting combat system with balanced dices so that the combat remains fluid and cinematic instead of someone cheesing with tripping or four low level mooks overpowering 'a hulk' in grapple.

That should give a decent idea of what I'm looking for. Now any suggestions on what system I should use to play in or use as a base after some modification or even how to go about making a new system are more than welcome (they're actually really really direly needed!).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:28:10 PM by Theotherme »

Offline kckolbe

Re: Help needed for deciding (or even designing) a system for tabletop
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
While it may not seem like anything special, Pathfinder fits most of this, and you can always not allow cheese-based classes, or even not allow the trip feats.  Never be afraid to restrict things that don't fit the tone of the game.

Pathfinder has a few setting ideas that you can steal from, with a lot of options for customized characters.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
Sounds like you probably want some sort of Supers system. Exalted might do the trick, or perhaps a pure Supers system with a changed setting. The only supers system I'm even passing familiar with is the latest Marvel one.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
Heya!

I know people here are good at this and eager to help so here we go. I need a system a campaign I'm going to run with a certain group of friends. I'll keep it short and clean so you get a good idea of what sort of system I'm looking for.

Setting:
-High fantasy.
-Players have high power with emphasis on growth (think wolverine -> demigod levels of power).
-A rather versatile custom made world.

Requirements from the syste:
-Allows for me (GM) to create stats for custom classes / sets of abilities that fit the descriptions the players provide me.
-Characters preferably able to exchange blows multiple times before being defeated (I'd rather players can't kill each other in one hit).
-Interesting combat system with balanced dices so that the combat remains fluid and cinematic instead of someone cheesing with tripping or four low level mooks overpowering 'a hulk' in grapple.

That should give a decent idea of what I'm looking for. Now any suggestions on what system I should use to play in or use as a base after some modification or even how to go about making a new system are more than welcome (they're actually really really direly needed!).

Thanks in advance.
Some super systems are capable of doing what you want.
(Exalted isn't an option, though there are even worse suggestions like Scion and Rifts. As a general rule, Exalted isn't capable of doing even Exalted, and it fails direly at your "no one-hit death" rule, since most enemies that matter will solve the fight in one successful attack. This might change with 3e, but even then it's far from High Fantasy, and it's not expected before end of 2013).
I'd recommend Icons for a more "narrative-based" and abstract version, and disregard the fluff about superheroes. It even balances high skill with having special abilities.
Or you could use Runequest 6 if you want a less abstract game, although you should make sure players have enough Hero Points.

Online SainTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far, though more suggestions are still welcome as I'd like to fully explore my options.

I think of the systems mentioned so far Icons might indeed be closest to what I was looking for as I do prefer more abstract combat, though I fear it might lack the complexity to keep strategically gifted players interested. Gonna have to get my hands on a book and check it out. Rune quest.. heh. A gm friend of mine just recently expanded that system rather extensively, I had disregarded it as an option as the system seemed quite harsh but perhaps with some adaptations it might work too.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:00:23 AM »
There is some tactics in Icons, but whether it would be enough for your players is hard to tell.
Other than that, RQ6 is quite tactical, even without a battle grid. But, as stated above, make sure the players have Hero points, which can be used to reduce the severity of an injury.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 03:34:07 AM »
  A friend of mine has run fantasy games for me using the third edition of Mutants and Masterminds.  So far it has worked quite well. 

Offline steelsmiter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Fate Core is a good one, but if you want it to be high powered just double the skill threshold (one at +8, two at +6, three at +4 and four at +2). Require 6 or better in Fighting and each party member will still have a 1 point edge over 4 mooks. The problem isn't solved but somewhat mitigated.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
Fate Core is a good one, but if you want it to be high powered just double the skill threshold (one at +8, two at +6, three at +4 and four at +2). Require 6 or better in Fighting and each party member will still have a 1 point edge over 4 mooks. The problem isn't solved but somewhat mitigated.
IME, that's largely unnecessary.

Offline Landshark

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
The Tri-stat system can be easily adapted for almost any setting. Ive used it for a Silver Aged Sentinels game and its simple, quick and easy.