Europeans: I hate the dislike of America... but I love the women.

Started by Ajoxer, June 24, 2008, 07:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

Lithos

No, they are not mortals, they are something you could think of as angel, Immortal servants of Odin. Name comes from Valkyrja which translates to "Chooser of slain". They chose the most heroic of those who died and brought them with them to Valhalla to raise them up as mighty warrior spirits, Einherjar.

When not on duty, the valkyries lived at valhalla with them, and the gods.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Xillen

And they're all female? Do they only pick up male warriors?

Sound like an interesting afterlife, yeah :)

Lithos

Mortal warriors on those myths were male, and yes, all valkyries were female. They were always present on big battles, and sometimes they chose someone long before they died, waited till they did, or in some rare cases, I think somehow arranged that they would.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

HairyHeretic

Actually half the Einherjar went to Freyja (I believe she got first pick, but don't quote me on that), the other half went to Odin. I recall reading that those who died while fighting in defense of something went to Freyja, the attackers to Odin.

I don't believe they would only pick up male warriors, but female ones would have been relatively rare I think, at least back in those days.

I believe disir is the correct term for them, female ancestral spirits.

The afterlife for those chosen as Einherjar would be to fight all day, and at sunset rise up (if slain), and to feast all night. That is referenced for Odin's Einherjar. I don't recall anything specifically around Freyja's, but considering the Einherjar are training for Ragnarok, when they will fight alongside the Gods, it'd make sense for them to be doing the same.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Overlord

Quote from: Lithos on June 25, 2008, 09:56:21 AM
http://www.collectingfool.com/unpublished/marquez-valkyrie.jpg

Would it not be a nice way to get to heaven once you die ^^

They always seem to be a little underdressed for so nippy a corner of the world, but if they're not complaining, then neither am I. We have decades of D&D art and MMORPG's to give thanks for because of it.

Norse myth allegedly described the aurora as the flickering light off their armor...hmmm.  :-\