You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 08:01:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Needs ideas! (About a Unisystem table top game)  (Read 470 times)

Offline Vampyre ValkyrieTopic starter

• ~Winchester in Disguise~ ~~Crowley's Squirrel~~ ~~Queen of Vain's Heart~~ ~~Lover of CurvyKitten~~ ~~~Luna's Vampy~~~ ~Howling's Other Woman~
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • I'm living in a dream of fantasy. - Ozzy
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Needs ideas! (About a Unisystem table top game)
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
I'm currently running a unisystem table top game set in my own universe where multiple TV show crossovers are going on (Buffy, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural just to name a few.) Our main character has a unknown romantic interest (as in she has yet to be made.) The player has told me that he would like his romantic interest to be supernatural, which I am fine with. I just have no idea what type of character to use.

The player's character is a 225 year old Dampyr/Half-Fae with an addiction to blood. I know, crazy race combo. He has recently embraced the "goth" lifestyle, but tends to mainstream when it comes to style to blend in.

I have to find someway to introduce this love interest and it be like something out of a book. To do that I need to find the PERFECT character concept. I had thought of the possibility of a "Half-fae fangbanger." They way he could feed on her, but they would also both be long lived so she doesn't have that whole mortality thing to worry about.

I just don't know though. I will run just about any supernatural race, so if anyone has any ideas or concepts they think might work let me know. I'm stuck.

~Valkyrie

Offline Thufir Hawat

Re: Needs ideas! (About a Unisystem table top game)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
Conversely, I'd make her either a Feral, or simply a mundane who has managed to strike a bargain with a spirit, as per the advantage. Nothing like conflicting loyalties or at least conflicting urges, to spice up the relationship ;D!
And of course, depending on your Essence pool, anyone can live for quite a while, so he might need to find a way to expand her pool >:)!

• ~Winchester in Disguise~ ~~Crowley's Squirrel~~ ~~Queen of Vain's Heart~~ ~~Lover of CurvyKitten~~ ~~~Luna's Vampy~~~ ~Howling's Other Woman~
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
Sweet. I may have to add essence to the game then. I run the unisystem from the BuffyAngel books which is a bit different from the Witchcraft books (I always get Cinematic and Non Cinematic confused.) Thanks for the responce though. I had thought werewolf, but brushed it off rather quickly, maybe I should take another look at that option.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »
Sweet. I may have to add essence to the game then. I run the unisystem from the BuffyAngel books which is a bit different from the Witchcraft books (I always get Cinematic and Non Cinematic confused.) Thanks for the responce though. I had thought werewolf, but brushed it off rather quickly, maybe I should take another look at that option.
Ah sorry, I never even read the Cinematic Unisystem, so of course I assumed you were talking about Classic. This might be due to the fact that Witchcraft's corebook is free on Drivethru, unlike Angel's core :P.
So, I can only comment with Classic archetypes, and have no idea what it would do to balance to add Essence. Maybe nothing, if it's just this character that needs it for their powers. Still, better ask on their forums ;D!
IMO, the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to give the player an easy time or not. My suggestions were aimed at maximising drama potential. If you want to go easier on them, maybe someone like a supernatural martial artist, and if you want them to never worry about it, give them an Immortal character. It's a spectrum, with the cursed werewolf leaning towards the end with maximum drama because of the combination if hard to control impulses with mortality, which is why I picked that option to begin with >:)!

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
:D I was lucky enough to get the Angel book on Ebay for like $5 so that's the only reason I have it, and I was given the Buffy Special edition corebook for Christmas one year. I like the idea of maximum drama in a game, so I may go with the werewolf idea. I may just have them go on a adventure for a potion of youth or something like that. Thanks though, your answered helped.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:21:27 AM »
Potions of youth are almost too easy... ;D
I mean, consider the implications of having someone else expanding the love interest's Essence pool. What happens if they displease that power, does it take away the gift >:)?

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
See this is why I'm newer to running games. I can't bring my brain to think like that.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
I couldn't either, when I started running games. That was well over a decade ago, though :P.
In short, it comes with practice, and talking with other GMs how they run their games.

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
 :D That's part of the reason I signed up for Elliquiy. I figured I'd meet other creative minds and that would help with my GMing.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
True, although it would help to know what is your GMing style.

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »
Sadly after almost 7 years of "practice" GMing and a couple multi player games I still don't know how to describe myself as a GM.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »
You can't do it with one word, of course. Even when we're using different techniques, it's more of a spectrum than a yes/no answer. Granted, sometimes we're at the end of a spectrum, but the spectrum is still there :P!
For example, I'd say I lean towards a freely evolving story, but I'm not entirely discarding plot-based developments. It's just that I include the plot in the story set-up, instead of introducing events "because the plot demands".
OTOH, on things like railroading players, I'm pretty clearly at the opposite extreme of the spectrum ;D!