You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 04:10:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Help me make a wooden armor.  (Read 724 times)

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Help me make a wooden armor.
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »
So more work for my setting.

My arboreal elves are basically a treetop Japanese society. The samurai class is unique solely to them (and it's renamed of course). They typically wear two kinds of armor. Padded thistledown armor cut kimono and hakama-like, but when they go to war or big conflict they wear wooden armor. It's exotic to everyone, who isn't a samurai.

Well, I've hit a bit of a snag. I originally thought that I would have the elven druids craft it using the ironwood spells and whatnot, but those are temporary and these suits of wooden armor are ancestral. Well, I found that I could use wildwood armor as a template for it. I want the steel-like toughness and fire retardant ability. So I have to come up with something:

1. I can create a new kind of wooden armor and call its something like Elderwood Armor or something.

2. If it is forged masterwork it would have star metal as part of its making in some way. That metal is what allows magical effects to remain intact for all practical purposes indefinitely.

So would it be easier to create a new one or just allow the ironwood spell to remain indefinitely? 

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
Re: Help me make a wooden armor.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
Also while I've got this up:

Armor   Cost   Armor/Shield Bonus   Minimum Dex Bonus   Armor Check Penalty   Arcane Spell Failure Chance   Speed (30ft.)   Speed (20ft.)   Weightą

Light Armor                        
Razorwool padded   3,050gp   5b   6b   0b   10%   30ft.   20f.   10lbs.

Offline meikle

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
this is far and away better than any other light armor for its price; the only light armor in the 4000 gold range that will have better base +AC is a chain shirt, which still falls behind in every other category (including max dex bonus by 2, armor check penalty by 2, spell failure chance by 10%, 15 lbs more cumbersome, etc, etc.)  i'm not sure if it's your intention to give your elf samurais better armor than everyone else who wears light armor, but if it is you are succeeding.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:33:51 AM by meikle »

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »
this is far and away better than any other light armor for its price; the only light armor in the 4000 gold range that will have better base +AC is a chain shirt, which still falls behind in every other category (including max dex bonus by 2, armor check penalty by 2, spell failure chance by 10%, 15 lbs more cumbersome, etc, etc.)  i'm not sure if it's your intention to give your elf samurais better armor than everyone else who wears light armor, but if it is you are succeeding.
That's not the samurai armor. That's another kind.

I haven't decided the wooden armor yet. Though, most of it's going to be in the medium range.

Mmmm... Thistledown is a bit pricy. Even for the samurai class. Okay, I'm off to rework the leafweave stuff. (I don't like that it's made of leaves.

Nawp. That's more pricy. Oh, well, culturally different functionally the same it is! :D
They still like it when they can afford it though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:31:09 PM by Inkidu »

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:32:39 AM »
Okay, so I've more or less got my wooden armor and it's really only used in the most Japanese-like suits.

However, it gave me a plan to do an exotic armor table. I was wondering. Would be sufficient enough to just give anyone of a certain class or race proficiency with the armor (at least on the martial level)? Naturally people could take an exotic or race armor feat to wear it. I'm just trying to get these armor tables done. XD

For example the elderwood armor for saumurai elves (which are the only samurai in the setting).

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
So I want to give each race (baring halves and humans a couple of exotic armors and/or shields.

Forest Elves: Elderwood full samurai  armor
??

Buteos: Twist armor (giving them the gnome armor)??
??

Arctic elves: renamed mammoth armor (thinking something like snow tiger or something)
??

Halflings:
??
Tumbler's breastplate.

Merfolk: Living coral
Pearl plate (a custom medium armor)

Gnomes:
Gnome battle cloak
?? (possibly the shield gauntlet)

Dwarves:
Mountain plate and battle plate.

Any suggestions?

Oh and these may or may not be additionally class locked (like the elven samurai armor).

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
Thanks, Meikle, it might not seem like it but you helped a lot. :D

I got the armor section done. I gave each of the non-humans their armors. I think they might need a little playtesting, but it adds character. :)

Offline Zeth

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Well I have no Idea about D&D stats. But, I do suggest looking up actual wooden armor as a reference. There does exist Bamboo armor as well as wooden stuff in real life.