More Human Than Human [Recruiting Players]

Started by Nykteus, May 10, 2013, 08:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurvyKitten

I keep coming back to look at this rp and my muse is sort of tinkering away at a possible idea.

I know I am having the same problem as I try thinking up powers, but this game is very interesting none the less. Though there seems to be quite a few females already showing interest as well.

Nykteus

If any of you want, a rough outline of a character with even a vague idea of powers is enough to start with, and I'll try to help from there. You'd be amazed what can come of a bit of brainstorming, but here's a few ideas left over from an older example:

Piper - Produces ultrasonic emissions that function as sonar, cause pain, disorientation, or, my favourite, convince victims that they're experiencing a haunting. A very real life phenomenon, it makes for interesting reading, given how a sound you can't even hear can cause you intense fear and unease.

Kali - Can produce an organic resin that hardens into a shiny black chitin, ideal for making weapons, armour, tools, walls, and other constructs. Very similar to a spider using webbing.

Cruelty - Produces a potent neurotoxin that can be delivered through bodily fluids: sweat, saliva, blood, etc. Initially euphoric as it heightens pleasurable sensations, can be addictive in small doses. Actually a horrifying weapon in larger doses, as the sheer sensory overload makes pain and pleasure irrelevant as anything besides sheer torture.

It's all about creativity, really. Look at Branwen's character, for instance. Sure, she can be used just to impersonate people, but she could also use her power to frame someone by manufacturing fingerprints and DNA evidence. What court is going to believe that a teenage changeling did it?

RampantDesires

Yay! Another completed character sheet! So very excited to see your creation Branwen, she looks awesome :)

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

bubby

I was actually pondering a 'Cruelty' type. That or someone who controls electricity. Tomorrow I'll decide.

Nykteus

If there was any guideline I could give people, think less along the lines of the X-Men and more along the lines of Metal Gear Solid. At that, though, there already is a character in the works who possesses the electrocytes of an electric eel, so that might not do so well.

If possible, I would much rather avoid full on psychokinesis in the game. That sort of thing shows up in a lot of games, I know I love it myself, but I'm aiming for something a bit different with us. At that, though, we'll figure out something. You'd be surprised how creative you are once you've got a GM to prod your brain in interesting places.

Branwen

Thank you so much, RampantDesires. Your character actually gave me the genesis ofgthe idea and I hope you don't think I am stepping on it. They should complement each other. 

If anyone is still looking at ideas, consider River Tam from Firefly as a kernel to pop.

RedEve

Fun idea.

River is a good archetype, though the amount of skills she has might make her a bit too powerful for one player to wield them all?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Branwen

*hugs the RedEve*

Oh, no doubt that's right.  River is a bit over the top, but it might help someone snowball a concept.  And her awkwardness with human interaction seems so in line with what the game suggests.

So, RedEve, about your character...  :)

RedEve

I'd really love to join but not sure if I should...  :P

Also, it seems like you guys already have the key archetype slots filled. :)

Branwen

Players drop, new slots come open, you're superamazinglygood...

Blobbe

I've fired off my own app. I'm super excited for this; its a concept I've wanted to try for ages

RedEve

Branwen: is the blue latex glove thingie in your CS another Firefly reference? If so, nicely played!  ;D

Nykteus

I was aiming for a team of about 6 prototypes, but the Foundry is a huge organisation. It's worth remembering that every one of the prototypes is just that, the first specimens of what will eventually be mass produced organisms. There's room there for some of them yet.

More Foundry agents are always welcome, too, or if someone wants to try their hand at an operative from a rival agency or even a rogue freedom fighter or journo going after the big conspiracy, I'd be delighted.

Branwen

Quote from: KaylaM on May 12, 2013, 09:05:02 AM
I've fired off my own app. I'm super excited for this; its a concept I've wanted to try for ages
Good job on getting it done!  I bet that felt great.

Quote from: RedEve on May 12, 2013, 09:05:42 AM
Branwen: is the blue latex glove thingie in your CS another Firefly reference? If so, nicely played!  ;D
Totes!  But I reversed it so it wasn't too blatant a fangirl squeal.  Good job catching it.

Blobbe

Quote from: Branwen on May 12, 2013, 09:11:52 AM
Good job on getting it done!  I bet that felt great.

Rejected. Ah well, thanks though. GL all.

Nykteus

I still remember when I first saw Firefly. Wild West and Outer Space, my two favourite things, and a gorgeous Nathan Fillion headlining it. I ever meet the guy who cancelled it, I'm going to beat him like he ran over my child and my puppy in the one go.

Lockepick

I'm thinking of submitting a 'Survival Expert.' Healing factor, high endurance, super senses... that kind of stuff. I'll probably get a full sheet sent later tonight!

That is, unless all the prototype spots are taken by then!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

RedEve

Sent in a CS, I hope it is alright and doesn't overlap too much with any of the existing characters.

Branwen

I love the hook of the drug addiction, TheHangedMan.  That's going to give an easy pivot for several story elements.  Well done!

Yay, RedEve!

Nykteus

I just realised how funny it'd be if Edgar's drugs were to be sold on the streets. You'd have a more erudite class of junkie, even if they did end up mugging you with homemade plasma pulse cannons instead of rusty switchblades.

TheHangedOne

"This is a stick'up! Give me all the cash!" "Wh...what kind of gun is that?" "A miniature particle accelerator. Man, listen, I don't have the time to explain this stuff! The money or your life!"

Ehh, not my best material, but... 8-)

Thanks Branwen, the idea was actually Nykteus' though. I just wrote my interpretation of the idea.

By the by, I'm pretty excited about this. Looks like we're gonna have a solid team of players.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Nykteus

I'll be getting Game Information and OOC threads up later today. We seem to be gathering quite a few players. Soon I shall have enough to be able to barter your souls to Amon Nghrul and usher in Ten Thousand Years of Darkness with myself as Lord High Tyranner of the Unholy Legions.

TheHangedOne

Awww, man! Why can't you believe in Nyarlathotep? C'mon, man, I'll put in a good word for you with Nyarly'.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

RedEve

Posting with GM approval:

Name: Cassandra

Physical Description:
     Height: 5’10
     Weight: 144 lbs
     Hair: blonde   
     Eyes: Green

Powers:
Omnilingualism: The power to instantly speak and understand any language fluently. This is not a magical power, it is done through being exposed to written and/or spoken language. She learns languages by hearing them, being exposed to them and by contextualizing the data her mind gathers.

Intuitive Intelligence: Cassandra possesses the ability to instantly analyse any sensory input and compare it to her existing knowledge. Her mind works at extremely high speeds, comparable with advanced Artificial Intelligences. She can access any information in her memory instantaneously and flawlessly, and has an intuitive ability to best employ her available knowledge to understand new situations. When hearing an unfamiliar language, for example, she will automatically examine the context of each word and sentence, study phonemic patterns, compare words to her existing vocabularies for cognates in related languages, and then compile the most probable translation, all without conscious effort. Because she has perfect recall, her understanding of a given skill increases exponentially with the more analysis she performs. Her only limitation is that she still requires practice to allow her body to catch up with a given skill, no amount of understanding of calligraphy or martial arts will allow her to forego the necessary muscle memory and conditioning required to master those skills.

Eidetic Memory: Cassandra's memory is utterly perfect. Any information she has acquired can be recalled instantaneously and flawlessly. She cannot forget anything she has learned, even if she should wish to, although consciously sifting through the sheer scope of her memory can require greater effort than simply relying on her intuition. When she wishes, she can prepare herself by "loading" chunks of data into her conscious thoughts, allowing her more controlled access to that knowledge.

Enhanced Perception: Cassandra's senses function at the same high level as other Prototypes, although her brain is better geared to processing data input. Her eyes function at a much higher resolution than those of most other individuals, allowing her to gather more visual data. She does not even have to speed read, but can understand and process every word on a page with a glance, much as one would process a photograph. She does not miss details in any of her sensory input, able to analyse every detail in her field of vision, or process multiple audio streams at once. While most of her senses are no better than those of her siblings, she is much more aware of what she is taking in without having to consciously focus.

Specialties: Cassandra’s main power is her mind’s extreme adaptability, as her powers allow her to take in and process new information and sensory input at a superhuman rate. Unlike her peers, she is designed to adapt quickly to life outside of the protective shell of their facility.

Weaknesses/Phobias: Her super powered brain is a huge energy drain that requires regular down-time, or she starts developing the symptoms of extreme sleep deprivation. To wind down her mind, she had been trained in meditation techniques, which need to be performed in a space with minimal sensory stimuli. She needs to spend a couple of hours a day meditating in such an environment, any failure to do so puts an immediate strain on her mind.

Personality/Motivations: Cassandra has a thirst for knowledge and knowledge gathering that is linked to her upgraded mental capacities. She is always processing information, no matter what else she might be doing. She will overhear casual conversation in her vicinity for any nugget of new information, she will read any shred of paper she finds, she will take in and remember every face and voice she sees and hears, … Unfortunately for her, her overzealous mind does not have an off switch, which can sometimes be to her detriment.

History: Cassandra was designed as a one-woman think tank. In essence, her contributions were meant to be largely in the pre-operational phase of planning and strategy. The Foundry has designs for a Cassandra mark II that has her mental aptitude as well as significant physical improvements that make her more suitable for field deployment.

Because of her mental make-up, the Cassandra model was allowed access to a lot more data, literature and general information than her peers, precisely because her mind needed this input like a blade needs a whetstone. One side-effect of this – likely unwanted – is her greater familiarity with the outside world, though most of this is second-hand knowledge she gathered through the data she was allowed to process.

RP Thoughts:

Resources: None other than the other prototypes she escaped with.

Equipment: The clothes on her back.

Played By: RedEve

Branwen