News:

Main Menu

Orcas in Captivity

Started by Damnedangel, April 30, 2013, 11:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damnedangel

I know this is like a random topic but I wanted to know what the people of Elliquiy thought about the subject as it is something I decided to write my Animal Welfare assignment on.

So before starting this assignment, I knew some facts after that trainer was killed three years ago at Orlando by a killer whale, such as that the tanks aren't in good conditions etc. However some of the things I never realized is how the whales got to where they were, the stress of capturing before the Marine Mammal Protection act came into force in America. I also learnt that theres a whale kept in a tank that is way to small for her in Seaqurium!

In my opinion these animals shouldn't be kept in captivity at all, you can see that they shouldn't be there and that they are very intelligent, an example of this being the tricks they learn and remember day in day out. Another way you can see they do not belong in captivity is the fact that they show aggression towards trainers and others who come near the pool sometimes and as you may have heard, trainers being killed or injured yet in the wild there are no records ever of an orca attacking a human.

So back to my first question, what is your opinion on this is? Just out of curiosity =)
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - If You Seek Peace Prepare For War.
We all have multiple personalities. The Average is three, but some people have more.
There's the face you wear for your friends and family, the one you let the outside world see.
Then there's the face you see everytime you look in the mirror.