You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 08:04:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Making a Game System  (Read 474 times)

Offline MasterOfMyFateTopic starter

Making a Game System
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »
He, I am trying to forge my own game system for a role play game on here. It will be forum based with multiple forums acting as locations. I want to include attributes, dice, a class system, and a race system.

Fandom:

JOJO's Bizarre Adventure

Plot of Fandom:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
JOJO's centers around the Joestar family bloodline. Originally, the Joestars were aristocratic and lived a comfortable life. The day when the senior Joestar, George Joestar, has a terrible accident that ended with the lost of his wife and nearly his child. A man came to swindle his goods only to be mistaken as being George's savior. George then proclaims that he is indebted to this man and is willing to take in his child should he need sanction. That child was taken in after the death of the man. That child, who grew up most of his life in poverty and hating his father, was cruel towards George Joestar's son, Jonathan Joestar (Jojo). This child, Dio Brando, grew up trying to worm his way into George Joestar's heart so he could gain his inheritance with his death while Jojo would  be left with nothing. Growing up, Jonathan and Dio feigned friendship. Jonathan sought to investigate a stone mask that he found within his house while Dio focused on earning the Joestar inheritance. When George Joestar became ill, Dio was feeding him medicine that was actually poison. Jonathan sought out what the medicine was with Dio trying to thwart Jonathan using the hidden feature of the mask Jonathan was studying. Testing the mask, Dio unknowingly created a Vampire which attacked him. Using sunlight, Dio survived the attack. Dio return to Joestar manor to find out Jonathan thwarted Dio, which caused Dio to seek death apon Jonathan. Dio, placing the stone mask apon himself, turned himself into a vampire, burned down Joestar manor, and left Jonathan hospitalized. Jonathan then meets a man known as Will A. Zeppeli, who teaches Jonathan Hamon (The Ripple) in order to defeat Dio. At the cost of many lives, Jonathan defeats Dio. Later, the head of Dio found and killed Jojo, took his body, and slumbered for many years.

100 years pass:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Dio awakens, which cause the power known as Stands to come into the light of mankind. A mystical item known as the Bow and Arrow (generally only Arrow is mentioned) had the power of awakening stands by cutting those who proven to be worthy. Stands were manifestions of one's will. A ghostly figure would appear when summon to do battle against the Stand User's foes. The body of Jonathan Joestar proved to be worthy, thus awakening a Stand within Dio. This also had the effect of awaking Stands within the rest of the Joestar bloodline. The grandson of Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar (the second Jojo protagonist), and his own grandson Jotaro Kujo (the third Jojo protagonist) awaken stands and seek to defeat Dio who plans proved to be disastrous. Overcoming many obstacles and obtaining many allies, Joseph and Jotaro came face to face with Dio. Dio gained the stand known as The World as Joseph had the stand known as Hermit Purple. Their allies, Noriaki Kakyoin possessed Hierophant Green, Mohammed Avdol possessed Magican Red, Jean Pierre Polnareff possessed Silver Chariot, and Iggy (a dog) possessed The Fool. With most of their allies dying and Joseph left in a near death state, Jotaro faced off against Dio, the aged old battle of Jojo vs Dio began anew. Jotaro's stand, Star Platinum, faced off Dio's The World. The World's abilities were able to stop time for a few seconds, and ability that Jotaro gained to defeat Dio. With the defeat of Dio, the world was saved. Jotaro remained victorious.

Timeline

known Stands (Eventually, the stands names became mostly music references. I.e. Aerosmith was a stand.)

Stand Types

Helpful information on Stands

Plot of game:

Many years have passed since Jotaro and Dio's battle in 1988. It is now 2013. Word has reached a hidden group of well funded individuals that Dio had the ability to stop time with the body that belonged to Jonathan Joestar and Jotaro was able to obtain this ability. Seeking to weaponize this ability, the hidden group funded a project that eventually perfected the cloning process. Effectively making clones, the hidden group made a clone known as Project: Joestar or Experiment: 10141014 (10=J, 14=O). Escaping the facility, 10141014 wandered with no idea who or what he is. Jojo found himself in Florida (where many of the other main party players will meet/awaken their stands) and awoken his stand. Meeting his new found friends and allies, the now named Jojo and party seek to put an end to the Hidden Group's schemes.

Incident in Florida:

At an attempt to flush out 10141014, the Hidden Group will bomb the city that the game begins (Miami) which will cause the various party members including 10141014 (played by me) to awaken their stands to save themselves. They will all gather together and find themselves with a common goal.

So what do you think? Interesting? Willing to give me any advice on it? I could really use it.

Offline Cyrano Johnson

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • "Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Making a Game System
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:39:26 AM »
It seems like most of this is really World-Building information.

The actual gaming mechanic -- Stands -- refers in the first link to a ten-part description whose last part contradicts earlier parts of the description. Having never used stands as a GM I'm not sure of the full implications, but as a player that would turn me off right there.

I think your real task is to clarify how Stands work in a compact and self-consistent way. It seems potentially interesting, but I for one don't feel like I can really assess it based on what you've linked to.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »
It seems like most of this is really World-Building information.

The actual gaming mechanic -- Stands -- refers in the first link to a ten-part description whose last part contradicts earlier parts of the description. Having never used stands as a GM I'm not sure of the full implications, but as a player that would turn me off right there.

I think your real task is to clarify how Stands work in a compact and self-consistent way. It seems potentially interesting, but I for one don't feel like I can really assess it based on what you've linked to.

Well one of the links shows types of stands. I want to implement that into a class system with each one having benefits towards certain attributes such as Strength, Dexterity, Willpower etc. Stands will basically be the combat system considering they are the ones dishing out physical and magical attacks. Outside of combat, they could have neat perks such as lockpicking, pickpocket, etc. I have never played D and D/Pathfinder before, only watched people play. I have a little bit of a grasp on it and I want to make a campaign or even a entire World where multiple campaigns take place.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:46:54 AM by MasterOfMyFate »

Offline Cyrano Johnson

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • "Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »
Sounds potentially interesting (I can't comment on Pathfinder, no knowledge of it), but the work of designing a system would seem to be in fleshing those ideas out. The existing material you've linked on Stands doesn't get there, at least not for me.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
Sounds potentially interesting (I can't comment on Pathfinder, no knowledge of it), but the work of designing a system would seem to be in fleshing those ideas out. The existing material you've linked on Stands doesn't get there, at least not for me.

Well I remember you questioning the links, especially the last one, on stands. The last one, which was on Stand disks, was helpful in the case that I want to use the idea of an exp system. Most, if not all, enemies will be stand users. The idea is the winning party takes the other's stand disk to strengthen their stand. My main problem is how to be able to split the exp evenly with the party without totally making something up and going too far away from the fandom.