Anyone interested in or already playing Defiance?

Started by Galactic Druid, April 03, 2013, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

The idea behind this game looks really cool to me. For those who aren't following, Defiance is a hybrid of first person shooter and MMORPG that just looks fun to play all around. It's a tie-in to an upcoming sci-fi channel show (No, I'm not calling it Syfy.), and the whole idea is that events happening in the show are going to impact the game. If they do it right, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I'm really interested in the game, but I've got a couple things holding me back. I just don't have the kind of time a traditional MMO would demand, and I don't have any friends who are interested in playing with me.

A few people have told me the game isn't as involved as, say, World of Warcraft. I'll be able to enjoy it without having to do the same raid twice a week at a set schedule with a guild. If that's the case, then I may have time to enjoy it after all. That said, is anyone on here interested in the game, or already playing? I'd love to hear some opinions or make some friends for this one before taking the plunge.

Thanks guys!

-Guy
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

PrincessAriel

I really want to play, though I have yet to see the show itself. The previews of both game and show look so fun! Plus, there are a couple people in the show that I recognize. I first saw clips of the show on Face-Off and ever since then I've been eagerly waiting for April 19th (think that's when Sci-fi (agree with you on that point) said it'd be premiering).  I will probably end up getting addicted to both.  :-)

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be as involved at World of Warcraft, mainly because World of Warcraft is so expansive, but I do hope it is as intriguing as World of Warcraft. Also hope that if I do play Defiance, I don't grow bored of it like I may have done with World of Warcraft. Level caps kill me.
"Let Me See You
Stripped Down to the bone"

Tamhansen

April 15th in the US 16th in the UK not sure about other countries.

I might be interested in playing this game, but like most tie in's I'm afraid it's going to be a disappointment
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Galactic Druid

Well, the game finally got posted on Metacritic, and I'd be lying if I said the scores it's been getting were amazing. User scores are a bit higher though, especially from people that said they have friends to play with. I'd still be willing to give it a chance if you guys wanted to as well, but I'd totally understand wanting to wait until its less expensive, if at all.

MolotovXsugaR

When I saw the trailer I started puking rainbows I was so excited. I haven't played a good sci-fi game since Mass Effect, and it was really intriguing to me. Then I started to mumble under my breath "Defiance...defiance...where do I know that name from.." Oh that's right, I was watching Face Off and Defiance is an upcoming television series.

I immediately lost interest. Not to say that I'm not reserving my judgment for actual game play but it's been my experience that games based off of movies and/or television shows are absolute flops. They lure you in with false senses of amazement and rainbowpuke inducing awesomeness and then they are just terrible. Walking dead is a prime example of that. That game is basically for fangirls with a Norman Reedus/Daryl Dixon proverbial hard-on. Absolutely terrible.

So here's to hoping it's awesome, but not holding my breath  :-*

♥ It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything - Tyler Durden ♥

Galactic Druid

Are you talking about the TellTale games or the that new shooter? I was thinking about giving the TellTale series a chance next time it was on sale, maybe not now.

Movie/show tie-ins are generally terrible, and I'd be lying if I said I had complete faith in 'syfy' (Seriously, it's a sci-fi channel. Their target audience is, by default, people with nerdier inclinations (I do not mean that offensively. I made an entire topic about a shooter/MMO, I'm a nerd. XD), so why the heck would you spell it that way? You're appealing to an audience of grammar nazis!) and their ability to pull the game/show tie in off. On paper, the idea sounds amazing. In practice?

Oniya

You can't trademark 'Sci-Fi', because it's an accepted abbreviation of science fiction.  You can trademark 'SyFy'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Galactic Druid

Good point, Oni, I didn't think about that. I still don't know why they didn't just stick with "The Sci-fi Channel" though, I don't think there was anything wrong with the name.

Wolfy

meikle

Quote from: MolotovXsugaR on April 13, 2013, 11:58:17 PMI immediately lost interest. Not to say that I'm not reserving my judgment for actual game play but it's been my experience that games based off of movies and/or television shows are absolute flops.
The Chronicles of Riddick video game was actually really good.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to consider that Defiance is running alongside the TV show, not as an after-the-fact tie-in.

For those of you who are playing it, how is it?  They used that fucking Imagine Dragons song on the trailer and it's like my mind goes out the window when I hear it.  Is it worth the sixty dollars?
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: meikle on April 15, 2013, 11:51:16 AM
The Chronicles of Riddick video game was actually really good.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to consider that Defiance is running alongside the TV show, not as an after-the-fact tie-in.

For those of you who are playing it, how is it?  They used that fucking Imagine Dragons song on the trailer and it's like my mind goes out the window when I hear it.  Is it worth the sixty dollars?

I've been hearing that it isn't worth 40.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Galactic Druid

It' made by the same people that made Rift, which got a decent ammount of support, so I'm hoping it gets some improvements as it goes on. Trion hasn't shown a trend of abandonment for their games, so that's nice.

Galactic Druid

It is possible one could flourish while the other flops, but very, very unlikely.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'm currently playing Defiance, so far seems like a fun game, I've only just scratched the surface of it.

Liked the season premiere and will most likely be a show I watch every week.

ningyou

I kinda want to play this, but....ehhh. What little I've heard about it so far sounds pretty iffy.

(jeez, has there even *been* an MMOFPSRPGthing other than Planetside 2 that hasn't died out quick D: )

also sorta unrelated but uh

Quote from: ThatRPGuy
Are you talking about the TellTale games or the that new shooter? I was thinking about giving the TellTale series a chance next time it was on sale, maybe not now.

The Telltale Walking Dead game is amazing, buyitbuyitbuyit

Moraline

Don't own the game yet but played it a little, can't really comment to much. Mostly seems like a standard over the shoulder shooter.

Watched the TV show, it was fun. Be a good setting for some RP.

Nymph‪

I don't really like pew pew games (I'm not good at them) but I watched the TV-show and I liked it. I think that it's funny in a fairly lighthearted way, I don't know, we'll see how it goes! It reminded me a little bit of Babylon 5.