Crown Wars (3.P DnD, Forgotten Realms) (recruitment open)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, March 29, 2013, 03:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Muse on April 02, 2013, 07:52:42 AM
oops, sorry.  I could have sworn you said thirteen.  I'll start on the rebuild.  :)

And NICE. 

Zaer, can you coppy us the information on the Landlord feat?  How much would be wise to budget towards it?

Zaer I think (or at least when I asked on this from a similar wondering) is going with that we get the main total of Landlord free to build a stronghold with, as otherwise you couldn't buy much personal gear at all and then have any kind of stronghold beyond a hut. So at 12th level, the 100k base is the budget to build it with, and then you can spend up to that extra 25k from your own gear budget.

I /think/.

TheGlyphstone

Since apparently your question queue can only hold one at a time, I'll re-ask:

Sinee I'm playing a Dark Elf, could I take the Drow Fighter Racial Substitution from Drow of the Underdark (+2 Init and +Dex to damage vs. flat-footed targets, lose Heavy Armor and Tower Shield proficiencies)? I'm going to start as Fighter 2/Swordsage 1, because you took away Weapon Familiarity with bows and Swordsages don't get martial proficiency with ranged weapons. I don't want to be clanking around in plate anyways with my high-Dex build.

EDIT: And back to the falling Star discipline, the Eagle Eye stance keys off your ranks in Spot. I assume this is changed to Perception, and the Rank requirement is reduced by 3 to account for PF's lower max skill ranks?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on April 02, 2013, 07:52:42 AM
oops, sorry.  I could have sworn you said thirteen.  I'll start on the rebuild.  :)

And NICE. 

Zaer, can you coppy us the information on the Landlord feat?  How much would be wise to budget towards it? 

Here is the Landlord feat; http://dndtools.eu/feats/stronghold-builders-guidebook--49/landlord--1731/

As Kolbrandr said you get 100,000gp flat on building your stronghold. Then up to 25,000gp you get 'double' bonus when applying own resources to project. So if player invests 25,000gp to stronghold then total sum what you get play with is 150,000gp (if not adding any further costs).

I in first page also updated all material costs are reduced 50% and no other price reduction would apply (so cost of walls/floor material is vastly reduced). It does not reduce cost of rooms or cost of raising up more floors nor cost of wondrous architecture. But if you or cohort can do wondrous architecture then price drops to 50% with them. Also if you find means to overcome need of workforce then it applies own % reduction as usual for cost for rooms themselves.

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 02, 2013, 08:03:39 AM
That is utterly unfair you know.  Why not medium growth for all characters commoners will still gain faster and nobles will have to work longer just being higher level already and they have more to deal with as leaders over commoners who can tell us to fraak off. At least dealing with good elf leaders. And the commoners under my character will not have many demands on them.

Then we would not get commoners but nobles instead. Playing a commoner is meant as a 'starting low but rapid growth' and having decent potential surpass your superiors in levels wise. A story of skyrocketing hero of the war who starts from the lower branches. This is not negotiable.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 02, 2013, 10:32:09 AM
Since apparently your question queue can only hold one at a time, I'll re-ask:

Sinee I'm playing a Dark Elf, could I take the Drow Fighter Racial Substitution from Drow of the Underdark (+2 Init and +Dex to damage vs. flat-footed targets, lose Heavy Armor and Tower Shield proficiencies)? I'm going to start as Fighter 2/Swordsage 1, because you took away Weapon Familiarity with bows and Swordsages don't get martial proficiency with ranged weapons. I don't want to be clanking around in plate anyways with my high-Dex build.

EDIT: And back to the falling Star discipline, the Eagle Eye stance keys off your ranks in Spot. I assume this is changed to Perception, and the Rank requirement is reduced by 3 to account for PF's lower max skill ranks?

I allow those changes if you do not use any other archtype and use mere standard fighter (as some archtypes sacrifices heavy armor and tower shield bonuses). What comes to Falling Star discipline, if swordsage nor crusader have profiency for bows normally they get proficiency if they sacrifice one maneuver schools to learn Falling Star discipline. Also Perception replaces Spot and rank reduction is correct.

TheGlyphstone

The only other Archetype I was considering was Archer, and what I get for it kinda sucks - swap Bravery for +5 ft range increment and +1 on Perception rolls. So your agreement conditionals are acceptable.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, anyways as note swordsage's ki strike feature would apply to the bows if you take falling star maneuver school.

who149

It looks like you need Stronghold Builder's Guide still, as I don't know the cost of making my Stronghold.

(It will essentially be a small castle, the sort that has a bed chamber, a dining hall/War room, Supply room/Armory, a place of prayer, and an Adjacent bath-house.  Outside the Stone holding, is a camp. It will have 20 living tents tents, each holding about 20 people. A supply Tent. A Medical Tent. Training Area. And possibly more)
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 02, 2013, 11:20:11 AM
Ok, anyways as note swordsage's ki strike feature would apply to the bows if you take falling star maneuver school.

I hadn't even seen that, so nifty. Though by 8th level, I'll be guaranteed to have a magic bow anyways - the 18th level feature will be my 'capstone', and it's a pretty nice one.

Kolbrandr

*cough* so if we are still shifting creation options around a bit, any chance of rolled stats for people inclined to gamble? I figure I may as well see if anyone else is interested in wanting to know when to fold em, hold em, walk away, run, and so forth.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: who149 on April 02, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
It looks like you need Stronghold Builder's Guide still, as I don't know the cost of making my Stronghold.

(It will essentially be a small castle, the sort that has a bed chamber, a dining hall/War room, Supply room/Armory, a place of prayer, and an Adjacent bath-house.  Outside the Stone holding, is a camp. It will have 20 living tents tents, each holding about 20 people. A supply Tent. A Medical Tent. Training Area. And possibly more)

Here is link for PDF for stronghold builder's guide; http://www.albinjohnson.com/d&d/resources/reference/D&D-3.5-Stronghold-Builder%27s-Guidebook.pdf

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 02, 2013, 11:35:18 AM
I hadn't even seen that, so nifty. Though by 8th level, I'll be guaranteed to have a magic bow anyways - the 18th level feature will be my 'capstone', and it's a pretty nice one.

True, the 8th level bonus is not much but if found somereason unarmed and facing foe with DR/magic then you can crotch kick them effectively with Ki strike. Indeed the 18th level is nice captstone ability as archer (works on single shot but as 18th swordsage you should be shamed for even using regular attacks).

Quote from: Kolbrandr on April 02, 2013, 11:40:36 AM
*cough* so if we are still shifting creation options around a bit, any chance of rolled stats for people inclined to gamble? I figure I may as well see if anyone else is interested in wanting to know when to fold em, hold em, walk away, run, and so forth.

As I said in PM to you, no rolling stats as it brings unbalance between the chars and things are spinning as they are already in 'power creep' department when it comes to optimization. I know using point buy may sound static and predictable but if you want random factor you could assign some scores with point buy and then roll where stats go.

TheGlyphstone

Sheet complete:
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12061

Backstory, I'm thinking a bastard offshoot of one of the Ilythiir noble houses who pursued the Sublime Way as a means of achieving the power his birthright denied him. Not terribly bright or friendly, but brutally cunning (or maybe cunningly brutal).

Zaer Darkwail

So your in Ilythiir faction or other nation faction?

TheGlyphstone

Still part of Ilythiir - loyal to the nation, just not his (unnamed and irrelevant) family.

Kolbrandr

As I said in PM to you, no rolling stats as it brings unbalance between the chars and things are spinning as they are already in 'power creep' department when it comes to optimization. I know using point buy may sound static and predictable but if you want random factor you could assign some scores with point buy and then roll where stats go.

*snaps fingers* Eh, was worth revisiting.

Fairly minor things, elves get elven and common as their starting language, but common, well, it doesn't exist at this time really. There's not much in the way to speak of of humans to have created a trade tongue out from them. Should we just go with elven and whatever language one prefers as starting?

Kolbrandr

annd, while I'm there, I think someone else was asking this as well, does the extra followers feat also double the number of followers you can make heroic from your charisma mod? (so say, from 2 to 4 or something like that)

Kunoichi

I was the one who asked that, I think.  Or, well, I didn't outright ask it, but I did at least bring it up earlier.  I think it wouldn't be overpowered to allow it to do that, because having more heroic followers means having more chances to have those followers die and bring down your leadership score.

Kolbrandr

Right right, just figuring to check if that's what would ensue (and doesn't seem too bad similarly, no). Probably taking the feat regardless mind you.

kckolbe

So, is anyone interested in working tie-ins with my character?  He's a third level moon elf warmage (thinking of Syopiir for region), very driven man.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kolbrandr on April 02, 2013, 03:35:53 PM
annd, while I'm there, I think someone else was asking this as well, does the extra followers feat also double the number of followers you can make heroic from your charisma mod? (so say, from 2 to 4 or something like that)

It doubles the heroic followers. But as said it's optional to create heroic followers (you may have +5 charisma mod and have 0 heroic followers). Heroic followers are important enough they screw over your leadership score if they get croaked. So double edged sword. But I am lenient enough if they die by cause which was not anyway related to you then there is no leadership loss (nor neither with cohort).

Re Z L

Oh boy 6 more feats!

@Zaer - Yea, if I could have found a more accurate picture I probably would have used it, but the one I posted seems to be the best fit for what I have in mind.

@Ilythiir players - More than willing to tie in our characters together one way or another (and make evil plots for the conquest of all of Fae'run of course).
A&A

Kolbrandr

Quote from: kckolbe on April 02, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
So, is anyone interested in working tie-ins with my character?  He's a third level moon elf warmage (thinking of Syopiir for region), very driven man.

My character rambled around the world adventuring for a stretch, if nothing else, he might have rolled through Syopiir at one point and met your guy, allows for a personal face to be put on any potential outrage when the country starts getting attacked later on (if it does in this go round, and all)

Kolbrandr

Oh, if anyone does want any sort of pre existing ties or potential interaction points to my character, a rundown of quick and easy ways to build such as related:

1) The child of a then political marriage between high station Aryvandaaran and Ilefarin families, so he likely has various immediate relatives back in House Durothil proper in Aryvandaar that he's spent some time visiting in his youth/teenager equivalent years, he can have met whoever during such trips

2) Rambled around the world as an adventurer for a while (grabbed up the breadth of knowledge feat as related, so he's at least a little bit educated/experienced in various fields), can have likely ended up anywhere relevant at some point or other to have interacted with whoever as you prefer.

3) High status noble and military leader in Ilefarn these days, some apparent past family tragedies that are generally left out of polite conversation.

If you don't otherwise want to trudge through the backstory writeup a couple pages back (I just like doing those when I invest in a character), Curunarin Durothil, swashbuckler 9 (the adamant entertainment variant for PF)/paladin 3, positive repute in big damn hero things and smashing threats to his nation as a general of some talent, controversial repute in chafing at Ilefarn's somewhat withdrawn nature and ocassionally speaking out against it as a charismatic firebrand, strange repute in apparently being the devotee of some kind of draconic god.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 02, 2013, 04:57:16 PM
It doubles the heroic followers. But as said it's optional to create heroic followers (you may have +5 charisma mod and have 0 heroic followers). Heroic followers are important enough they screw over your leadership score if they get croaked. So double edged sword. But I am lenient enough if they die by cause which was not anyway related to you then there is no leadership loss (nor neither with cohort).
So just don't use them as sacrifices, don't send then into suicidal battles, put a little care in handling them and you're fine.         

Just Quotiung Zaer here, emphasis mine: "Also note; you can make Charisma mod amount followers into heroic followers. They get heroic follower stats and wealth but getting them killed on purpose (accidents and assassinations don't count) gives penalty to your leadership score same as loosing a cohort."

So just don't use them as sacrifices, don't send then into suicidal battles, put a little care in handling them and you're fine. It's partly a doubble edged sword but what it really strikes me as, is a safeguard against the "Too stupid to actually use in a game" thrallherd tactic of saving people show up in full gear then killing them for said gear and repeating that. Just from what Zaer said I see that Heroic followers are special enough that if you become known for treating them as disposable fodder and power ups people might start realizing you aren't such a great person to follow.

" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kolbrandr on April 02, 2013, 05:28:00 PM
Oh, if anyone does want any sort of pre existing ties or potential interaction points to my character, a rundown of quick and easy ways to build such as related:

1) The child of a then political marriage between high station Aryvandaaran and Ilefarin families, so he likely has various immediate relatives back in House Durothil proper in Aryvandaar that he's spent some time visiting in his youth/teenager equivalent years, he can have met whoever during such trips

2) Rambled around the world as an adventurer for a while (grabbed up the breadth of knowledge feat as related, so he's at least a little bit educated/experienced in various fields), can have likely ended up anywhere relevant at some point or other to have interacted with whoever as you prefer.

3) High status noble and military leader in Ilefarn these days, some apparent past family tragedies that are generally left out of polite conversation.

If you don't otherwise want to trudge through the backstory writeup a couple pages back (I just like doing those when I invest in a character), Curunarin Durothil, swashbuckler 9 (the adamant entertainment variant for PF)/paladin 3, positive repute in big damn hero things and smashing threats to his nation as a general of some talent, controversial repute in chafing at Ilefarn's somewhat withdrawn nature and ocassionally speaking out against it as a charismatic firebrand, strange repute in apparently being the devotee of some kind of draconic god.

Question is your character good aligned? We have 3 Arvyndaar PC's that could have some sort of connection to your character. Considering one of them is unquestionably evil, another seems to lean toward a grey shade of morality, and I don't know about the last one but I gather they lean toward the deep end of the alignment pool too.  Rivalry is quite possible, especially for those related to House Vyshaan who's rapid gains in power has probably made them no friends of any more benevolent remnants of house Durothil.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kolbrandr

Paladin so, yerp, lawful good. Though he wasn't /that/ shiny in his young adult days, wherever he faffed off to post them seems to have involved a religious experience. He might have thereby had different interactions with someone in the past that are these days a far more strained sort of thing, particularly as Aryvandaar's agression becomes more manifest.

kckolbe

My character, a moon elf warmage, is neutral alignment.  Kolbrandr, I was thinking that my character's mother/father was passed over for the political marriage your parent received.  I would like for my character to be known as a a prodigy of sorts, and his knowledge of spells was limited only by the expertise of his instructors.  Warmages are not particularly popular among elves (especially moon elves and green elves), so he would stand out based on that.  While he does not push for war, he knows his talents suit him for it.  He also knows that war is a great way to advance his talents.

The small amount of money he has is the result of a duel with an armored knight.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread