You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 08:24:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A short rant on Damien Wayne  (Read 266 times)

Offline Callie Del NoireTopic starter

A short rant on Damien Wayne
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Okay.. right off .. I'll be honest.

I HATE Damien Wayne. Period. End of statement. With a red hot fury that scares me. I hated him from the first time I read him when Batman was 'dead' and Dick Grayson took the mask up. I hated him in the 'New 52'. To the point that 'Batman and Robin was the only batman comic, aside from Batman Inc, I didn't read.

That being said, last week they killed him.

Damien.. I could careless. That being said I've looked over the 'Requim' titles that have come out since. I like that a character death has impact. You can see it in all the titles, particularly Batman himself. He's.. raging. You see it. I won't go into specifics or who knocks him for a loop to break his fury.. but it's (to me) pretty good writing.

I can't wrap my head around the DW Robin.. he's, to me, totally unlikeable in any capacity. I hope though that you see the scars and reqrets of his death for a while though. I don't like that you had a Robin literally get forgotten by the writers a few months after she was killed in a particularly brutal manner.

Offline Cold Heritage

Re: A short rant on Damien Wayne
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
I love the little guy. Almost enough to actually pick up a Bat-book. But I knew the out of context images I saw on an imageboard would always be better than the actual Bat-books.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
I don't mind when they kill a character, as long as they make it permanent, and make it have an IMPACT.  And it sounds like they're doing it right.  I need more money if I'm too keep up my comic habits. :P

Offline KaylaM

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
I must admit I'd grown fond of the little snot in a "love to hate" kind of a way, which is what Morrison had intended all along. That and making him the butt of innumerable in-jokes.

BUT

Damien's death was clearly intended to call back to that of Jason Todd, which I understand. And, unlike Jason's, I hope it sticks. See, to me, Jason's death was the last comic book death that had real impact, real force to it. It came before the excesses of the 90s through to today, when characters can be killed off en-masse for little to no consequence, or high-profile deaths that you know will be reversed. When he came back to life, well, it took a lot of that away.

So that's why I'm glad that he's dead. not because I disliked Damien, but because it's a chance to bring that back, to have a comic book death that means something again. This is not a spur of the moment thing; Grant Morrison has indicated that this was his plan for the little toerag all along, and that it was only other events that had kept him alive this long. This, I like, and I look forward to seeing where they go from there.

And personally, I'll allways remember Damien like this