News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Alternative Gender Pronouns

Started by CupidCatt, March 09, 2013, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CupidCatt

Quote from: Dim Hon on March 10, 2013, 04:34:57 AM
Next time, don't call the people you are trying to understand fiction. It starts you on the wrong foot. You want to understand, great. Just try to be a little more understanding.

*applauds Blythe*

The only reason I'm not deleting this thread is because of Blythe's response. Others tried to offer some reasoned help, but Dim Hom I feel like you've been particularly passive aggressive, and made me feel wretched. So please leave me out of your future posts here.

Thanks Blythe, you've given me plenty to think about. I am grateful.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: CupidCatt on March 10, 2013, 04:22:37 AMIf it stays it stays, but the only stuff I've learned is that sometimes it's just better not to ask.

You know, I apologized to you earlier... but looking at this thread again and your behaviour since, I'm less and less convinced I should have.

If you ask for discussion because you are genuinely interested in developing an informed opinion, and prepared to revisit your assumptions, that's one thing. Then you're a reasonable person reaching out. If you ask for discussion but really have no plans on approaching it with an open mind -- to the point where you're willing to immediately try to shut down contrary opinion by accusing people of bullying, or looking at a thread that's seen quite generous engagement from people you surely have to know you're insulting and claiming to have learned nothing fomr it -- then what you're doing is being a faux-reasonable certain-sort-of-entity-that-once-was-thought-to-live-under-bridges.

(EDIT: Posted before I saw the reply to Blythe. Hopefully that means I'm wrong, and you're the former rather than the latter.)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Caeli

I wanted to thank some of the individuals (especially Blythe, Dim, Koren, and Pumpkin - only naming them because these are the posts I remember most clearly) in this thread for attempting to explain their answers to the original intended question of the OP, in a way that is accessible to individuals who don't have the same experience, understanding, or knowledge of gender that you do. I understand that gender can be very nuanced and extremely complex, but I feel like I've learned quite a bit from your posts here.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

CupidCatt

Cyrano, bite me.

This thread is getting flushed. Somebody please save Blythe's lovely post.

And thanks DarklingAlice, I found your post engaging too.

Blythe

Quote from: CupidCatt on March 10, 2013, 04:38:13 AM
The only reason I'm not deleting this thread is because of Blythe's response. Others tried to offer some reasoned help, but Dim Hom I feel like you've been particularly passive aggressive, and made me feel wretched. So please leave me out of your future posts here.

Thanks Blythe, you've given me plenty to think about. I am grateful.

CupidCatt, I don't ask that you agree with me. I only ask that you be willing to debate with me and come to a conclusion. I can only hope it's the one I argue for.

Think on it; I really urge you to. The other Lieges here are unhappy, because many of us have gone though very bad and traumatic experiences. We are wounded people, many of us, constantly fighting an uphill struggle on a battlefield that seems neverending.

Thank you for listening, CupidCatt. You may PM me if you ever wish to speak about genderfluidity or the trans lifestyle. I'm always willing to clarify what I can as best I can in the hopes that, if more people know, the more it might help not just me, but the many like me.

~Blythe

Koren

If I was being passive agressive then im sorry, but I was just trying to explain a perspective of it. If you want send me a PM with bits you think I was being passive-agressive on and we can discuss it

Also as I mentioned, it is against the rules to delete threads and posts.

Quote from: Caeli on March 10, 2013, 04:41:44 AM
I wanted to thank some of the individuals (especially Blythe, Dim, Koren, and Pumpkin - only naming them because these are the posts I remember most clearly) in this thread for attempting to explain their answers to the original intended question of the OP, in a way that is accessible to individuals who don't have the same experience, understanding, or knowledge of gender that you do. I understand that gender can be very nuanced and extremely complex, but I feel like I've learned quite a bit from your posts here.

And no problem Caeli. IM glad you were able to get something out of this

Pumpkin Seeds

This thread has moved quite rapidly and emotions are running high.  I think a pause is best at this point before things get out of hand if not already.

CupidCatt

Quote from: Koren on March 10, 2013, 04:42:52 AM
If I was being passive agressive then im sorry, but I was just trying to explain a perspective of it. If you want send me a PM with bits you think I was being passive-agressive on and we can discuss it

Also as I mentioned, it is against the rules to delete threads and posts.

And no problem Caeli. IM glad you were able to get something out of this

Koren I didn't say you were, I appreciated your contributions.

Cyrano Johnson

Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Pumpkin Seeds

Please everyone just take a step back, breathe and resume later.  The thread will be here in a few hours and tempers will be more in line to have an informative, polite conversation.

CupidCatt

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 10, 2013, 04:46:41 AM
Now that feels like honesty.

It's really sad that the only man (presumably also gender male) participant in the thread is also a smug, high and might asshole.

Not only did you keep chiding me throughout for not seeing things your way, as though that meant I had an inferior view... but then you come along back and say I'm a troll. Meh. Not cool.

Koren

Hey. Step away. Thats crossing the line

Staff can we maybe lock this thread? (if theres any around)

Valerian

The original post in this thread comes across as deciding not to try to understand the distinctions between gender and sex or to acknowledge the spectrum therein--much like some people do not see the spectrum from heterosexuality to homosexuality.  However, whether or not you believe or understand the terms and or the people who self-identify as neither male or female or both... it is not acceptable to bash them, tell them they are crazy, or otherwise demean their individuality.  Privately or publicly. 

Not on this site.

Acknowledging people for who they are -- as they define it, not how you define it --  is not optional. It's the only polite thing to do, and it's the only thing E will permit.  Please bear this in mind at all times, and particularly when especially sensitive topics are being discussed.

This thread will remain locked so that any further discussion of the subject can start fresh.  Thank you.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE