Shadowrun universe. M looking for F partner.

Started by Greytrail, March 07, 2013, 05:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greytrail

In my introduction thread, I wrote the following snippet and thought it would be fun to expand on the basic idea, or even something completely new! I have a very long history with the Shadowrun system, though I am most familiar with the 2050's. However, I did get to play a bit in the 70s, so I have some basic knowledge. I have played magic users, all types of metas, many ages and castes and backgrounds, though I have a real soft spot for orks.

I am by no means attached to the following loose story as it is, though I do rather like what little I know of my young ork fellow. The intro was written as enticement for a partner, as I would be the ork stranger. We can come up with something original, or use this scene as a starting point, I'm open.

Any takers?

The prompt came from my pal, Top Cat and read: You're sitting at an open-air cafe, drinking your favorite beverage, when a sultry woman in a sexy dress runs up and shoves something in your hands. "Keep this safe... don't let them get it," she says, then runs off, completely ignoring your protests. What's going on here?

Lots of strange things have happened since magic returned to the modern world, but in the isolated and well-off city of Bellevue, I've been lucky enough to avoid much of the craziness as the world adapts to this new chapter of our collective lives.

So when a handsome young ork stumbles in, I'm a little surprised. Yes, I've been exposed to a few of the Awakened, but not many, and certainly none that haven't been a little frightening. Or, in the case of that troll, utterly terrifying. This fellow is surprisingly handsome though, with his short tusks only exposed by his winded panting. He's strong of body and jaw with the slightly flattened nose typical of his kind with a tousled mop of darkly gold hair.

Despite my surprise and even some nerves, I feel myself smiling.

The fellow zeroes in on the warm expression instantly and trots over double-time. There's a strange mix of fear, desperation and raw charm about him, radiating from the hazel-green gaze like heat. Even when he takes my free hand in both of his, any fear is trumped by a growing curiosity.

"Lovely lady, please, I need your help. I'm desperate and your presence might just save me if you'll play along by pretending that I mean something to you. Please. A few minutes of your time and I'll do anything you ask, please. They'll hurt me..."

Before I can say a word, the doors open again to admit a hulking crowd of angry bullies. If this is some sort of prank, it's an elaborate, because those goons look authentically dangerous. Now, I’ve long complained about my boring, white collar life, my girlfriends rolling their eyes tolerantly. Well, perhaps this time I can do more than moan on and have a real adventure to talk about.

The stranger blanches, even as he keeps his face turned to me, the green eyes alarmed and wild. So, I set down my cup and place my other hand over his. My warm, playful grin is hesitantly echoed on the handsome face.

"Darling, did you run the entire way? Really, you aren't that late!"

"I..." he hesitates awkwardly, his eyes still rolling over to the looming threat blocking the coffee house's doorway. "I was just really, really eager to get here. How has... um, your day been?"

"Fascinating," I answer truthfully, now completely amused by the flummoxed bullies who hover, uncertain what to do. "I have to admit the day was boring until you got here. You know how I hate to eat alone. Would you like something to drink before we go to dinner?"

One of the bullies has stepped forward, expression dark, and my new friend cringes and tries to hide it.

"Is this guy bothering you?"

Now, I don't always deserve my diva reputation, but I am perfectly capable of living up to it if pressed. So I level my best icy glare at the caveman.

"I beg your pardon?"

Exactly as I'd hoped, the idiot pauses, clearly not expecting the confrontational reaction and pauses there with one big ham hand extended towards my new companion.

"If you will excuse us?"

Still, the slow-witted idiot pauses there and I try not to worry that he's dumb enough to actually push for a confrontation. My unexpected date tenses, clearly displaying a fight or flight response that I'll bet comes from his Awakened looks. Such cruelty we humans are capable of...

Right on cue, an authoritative voice breaks in from behind the hovering gang of bullies and they scattered like startled crows. I have never been so glad to see police officers in my entire life as the closest predator at last slinks away.

A squeeze to my trapped hand brings my attention back to my companion and his sweetly grateful expression warms me.

"Thank you so much, lovely lady. I really was out of options."

So, this is where my adventure ends then. Unless... unless I bravely take an even wilder chance with this stranger.

"Do you like chinese food?"

His smile is answer enough.

ReijiTabibito

That's something.  Now, if I might ask, are you hard-set on having an ork as an opposite to your...uh, hate to say there's little information about you in this matter as well...I assume you're a woman, from the tone of the conversation, but...

Greytrail

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 07, 2013, 07:38:05 PM
That's something.  Now, if I might ask, are you hard-set on having an ork as an opposite to your...uh, hate to say there's little information about you in this matter as well...I assume you're a woman, from the tone of the conversation, but...
Yeah, sorry about that. The woman's part would be my partner. I was the ork. The loose intro is misleading! Perhaps I should modify my request a bit....