Pathfinder RPG with E6 Game Rules - GM/Player Interest Check

Started by RubySlippers, February 19, 2013, 06:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 11:38:19 AM
character tweaked
*munchkin soul wincing slightly to see a 16 Cha not being used to for Divine Grace and Smite*
I do have a question about the background - you're saying he's currently around 30-ish (young boy + 20 years)  and has 20 years of Gladiatorial experience, yet is still only 1st level?
Did he spend most of his time in the pits raking out the sand after others fought?

Blinkin

Questions:

I'm looking hard at the Woodland Skirmisher archetype. Unless this is going to put a strain on the setting or fitting the character into the story, I'm leaning heavily towrad this alteration.

I would also like permission to pick up this alternate trait for the character. As it doesn't specify just how far back the blood tie has to be, I would perfer that the physical traits be very understated, or slight... If it's not acceptible, I'll drop it.

Drow Magic A few half-elves with drow ancestry exhibit the innate magic of that race. Half-elves with this trait have drow blood somewhere in their background, and can cast dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire each once per day, using the half-elf's character level as the caster level for these spell-like abilities. This racial trait replaces the adaptability and multitalented racial traits.

I'm adapting the character to the 18 point ability buy, and making sure that everything is correct. If these changes are acceptible, I'll post the revamped ranger this afternoon... BTW, how common would Orcs be in the region?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RubySlippers

Okay another question how common is magic especially wizardry in the realm, my concept is I'm a hedge wizard sort trained by a area master maybe at another location and returned but she learned how to make "items of minor arcane power" as in fake but cool looking items for common folk and those unenlightend to buy.

Examples an amulet of good fate, a powder to promote love in a home, a knotted rope with runestone ends to promote a healthy herd animal and so forth nothing definate but being a real wizard it must work more often than not.

But if magic is pretty common or known to commoners I will need to do something else.

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 11:54:56 AM
*munchkin soul wincing slightly to see a 16 Cha not being used to for Divine Grace and Smite*
I do have a question about the background - you're saying he's currently around 30-ish (young boy + 20 years)  and has 20 years of Gladiatorial experience, yet is still only 1st level?
Did he spend most of his time in the pits raking out the sand after others fought?
Assimars age more slowly than humans even though they come from human parents, He sold himself at about age 20 which would have been (age 10-12 by human standards) and spent a great deal of time as a servant and growing up during that 20 years. Learning to be be a gladiator as they let him. Between a few victories and well placed bet he was able to  buy his freedom by the time he was a first level trained gladiator.

he is about 41 now. A little young by the age chart for assimars but fit is the story better. If it comes down to it we can change his age to 60 for the chart and say he left when he was 40 (Child Assimar)

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Blinkin on February 27, 2013, 12:01:11 PM
Questions:

I'm looking hard at the Woodland Skirmisher archetype. Unless this is going to put a strain on the setting or fitting the character into the story, I'm leaning heavily towrad this alteration.

I would also like permission to pick up this alternate trait for the character. As it doesn't specify just how far back the blood tie has to be, I would perfer that the physical traits be very understated, or slight... If it's not acceptible, I'll drop it.

Drow Magic A few half-elves with drow ancestry exhibit the innate magic of that race. Half-elves with this trait have drow blood somewhere in their background, and can cast dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire each once per day, using the half-elf's character level as the caster level for these spell-like abilities. This racial trait replaces the adaptability and multitalented racial traits.

I'm adapting the character to the 18 point ability buy, and making sure that everything is correct. If these changes are acceptible, I'll post the revamped ranger this afternoon... BTW, how common would Orcs be in the region?
Both the class archetype and the alternate racial trait are acceptable.  If you're taking just the Drow Magic trait and not also acquiring the Drow-Descended subtype, then there's no requirement to have any physical traits associated with the racial trait.  Though I would suggest at least a slightly darker skin tone - something at least along the lines of a permanent tan.

Regarding the class archetype - while there will be scenarios in the forest, I wasn't planning on that terrain being the focus of the campaign, so in certain scenarios/story-arcs you might find your character at a disadvantage - though the extra spell per day and access to Druid spells should more than compensate. Remember this is E6, and you'll only ever have first-level ranger/druid spells.

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 11:54:56 AM

Also is a gladiator and great gladiators were also great performers.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 12:23:22 PM
Assimars age more slowly than humans even though they come from human parents, He sold himself at about age 20 which would have been (age 10-12 by human standards) and spent a great deal of time as a servant and growing up during that 20 years. Learning to be be a gladiator as they let him. Between a few victories and well placed bet he was able to  buy his freedom by the time he was a first level trained gladiator.

he is about 41 now. A little young by the age chart for assimars but fit is the story better. If it comes down to it we can change his age to 60 for the chart and say he left when he was 40 (Child Assimar)

41 is fine.  It fits very well with the whole 'young heroes' theme I'd like to encourage.  And I can totally see him betting heavily on himself  against long odds on one of his first few fights.  I didn't see a 20-year battle-hardened veteran fitting well with 1-st level adventurers though.

I like him.

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:28:08 PM
41 is fine.  It fits very well with the whole 'young heroes' theme I'd like to encourage.  And I can totally see him betting heavily on himself  against long odds on one of his first few fights.  I didn't see a 20-year battle-hardened veteran fitting well with 1-st level adventurers though.

I like him.
He is did not spend 20 yrs in gladiator fights. He spent like 16 years as a servant and then was trained as a gladiatior. He is still young and fairly inexperienced. 

yesiroleplay

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 27, 2013, 12:22:59 PM
Okay another question how common is magic especially wizardry in the realm, my concept is I'm a hedge wizard sort trained by a area master maybe at another location and returned but she learned how to make "items of minor arcane power" as in fake but cool looking items for common folk and those unenlightend to buy.

Examples an amulet of good fate, a powder to promote love in a home, a knotted rope with runestone ends to promote a healthy herd animal and so forth nothing definate but being a real wizard it must work more often than not.

But if magic is pretty common or known to commoners I will need to do something else.
Magic exists - there are at least 4 named caster NPC's in Sandpoint, though three of them are Divine and the other is a Bard - I think there's a wizard, maybe the guy with the museum?  I'd have to check again.  Think of wizards as about as common as watch-makers in the current real world.  There isn't a real problem finding one if you look - perhaps to repair your grandfather's railroad watch, but they hardly dominate society or even chronological technology.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 12:32:28 PM
He is did not spend 20 yrs in gladiator fights. He spent like 16 years as a servant and then was trained as a gladiatior. He is still young and fairly inexperienced.
Yeah, I got that :)  16 years carrying water and raking the sand in the fighting pit :p

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:34:42 PM
Yeah, I got that :)  16 years carrying water and raking the sand in the fighting pit :p
I figured the he learned the art of betting on human blood sports while he was a servant. Hoarded his money.  Then bet on himself in a long shot.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 12:37:59 PM
I figured the he learned the art of betting on human blood sports while he was a servant. Hoarded his money.  Then bet on himself in a long shot.
Exactly!
He made enough to buy his freedom, and enough left over to have standard 1st-level starting money.

Triggvi

How would you feel about me trading the alterself spell like ability for a trait ( performace related)?

yesiroleplay

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: RubySlippers on February 27, 2013, 12:22:59 PM

Magic exists - there are at least 4 named caster NPC's in Sandpoint, though three of them are Divine and the other is a Bard - I think there's a wizard, maybe the guy with the museum?  I'd have to check again.  Think of wizards as about as common as watch-makers in the current real world.  There isn't a real problem finding one if you look - perhaps to repair your grandfather's railroad watch, but they hardly dominate society or even chronological technology.

Yeah - the guy with the museum is a wizard: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Heroes_of_Sandpoint/Sandpoint#Sandpoint_.2327._Turandarok_Academy

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 12:41:37 PM
How would you feel about me trading the alterself spell like ability for a trait ( performace related)?
Trading a racial trait for a character trait?  It would depend on the trait, so maybe?

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:44:57 PM
Trading a racial trait for a character trait?  It would depend on the trait, so maybe?
Or if you want to trade racial for racial and he is a scion of humanity. How about the human racial trait +1 skill point per level? Or like a trait that gives him bluff as a class skill.

Blinkin

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:23:43 PM
Both the class archetype and the alternate racial trait are acceptable.  If you're taking just the Drow Magic trait and not also acquiring the Drow-Descended subtype, then there's no requirement to have any physical traits associated with the racial trait.  Though I would suggest at least a slightly darker skin tone - something at least along the lines of a permanent tan.

Regarding the class archetype - while there will be scenarios in the forest, I wasn't planning on that terrain being the focus of the campaign, so in certain scenarios/story-arcs you might find your character at a disadvantage - though the extra spell per day and access to Druid spells should more than compensate. Remember this is E6, and you'll only ever have first-level ranger/druid spells.

I know that it's E6, but that also puts a limit on the usual favored Enemy and favored Terrain class features, so all he'll ever get is really 2 favored enemy and 1 favored terrain. I'm open to other options that won't loose the Nature's Bond; I want the companion.

If you can suggest a favored terrian that would be better suited to the game, I would be happy to take that. The spells were a minor thing in any case as, as you said, there would ever only be a very limited 1st level spell option.

That is, unless there are ways to gain further favored's?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Triggvi on February 27, 2013, 12:49:03 PM
Or if you want to trade racial for racial and he is a scion of humanity. How about the human racial trait +1 skill point per level? Or like a trait that gives him bluff as a class skill.
Hmmm - how about bluff is a class skill, and he gets +1/2 to bluff per level.

Charlatan:  Your unearthly heritage is considered a curse by the parochial folk around you.  You've learned to explain away those aspects of your heritage you can't hide.
Benefit:  Bluff is a class skill for you, and you gain a trait bonus to bluff of +1 per two character levels.

Triggvi

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Blinkin on February 27, 2013, 12:59:29 PM
I know that it's E6, but that also puts a limit on the usual favored Enemy and favored Terrain class features, so all he'll ever get is really 2 favored enemy and 1 favored terrain. I'm open to other options that won't loose the Nature's Bond; I want the companion.

If you can suggest a favored terrian that would be better suited to the game, I would be happy to take that. The spells were a minor thing in any case as, as you said, there would ever only be a very limited 1st level spell option.

That is, unless there are ways to gain further favored's?
You don't get favored (in your case focused) terrain until 3rd level.  By that time the game will either have died or you'll have the setting experience to choose for yourself.

Edit:
I'll even go this far - at third level when you choose your focused terrain, you can shift the 'Forest Ghost' bonus to your focused terrain, or keep it at forest if you prefer.

Re-edit:
Also, I'm going to agree with the Editor's Note, and rule that focused terrain replaces favored terrain, and not favored enemy.

RubySlippers

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 12:33:50 PM

Good then my idea will work out I think her profession is Wizard and has as things she does to make money sell items crafted by means taught to her by her master that offer benefits to common people, well that is what she was told make this amulet with this inscriptions and bless it by the light of the moon and it grants good fortune on the wearer. Then there is magic using the Art such as scrolls as in serious arcana the stuff of proper wizards. The former to her is as legitimate as the latter.

Plus various other services some rituals and other things to grant things to peoples homes and property a typical one a ward of favored wealth on businesses good for a year and a day which well can't hurt and well its using the symbols and words and things she was taught.

If magic is that rare in her profession then her arcane school is likely rarer she can always counter critics who know of such things as she was taught by a master of crafting items and who was taught by others going into the past, so her knowledge is unique.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 27, 2013, 01:11:13 PM
Good then my idea will work out I think her profession is Wizard and has as things she does to make money sell items crafted by means taught to her by her master that offer benefits to common people, well that is what she was told make this amulet with this inscriptions and bless it by the light of the moon and it grants good fortune on the wearer. Then there is magic using the Art such as scrolls as in serious arcana the stuff of proper wizards. The former to her is as legitimate as the latter.

Plus various other services some rituals and other things to grant things to peoples homes and property a typical one a ward of favored wealth on businesses good for a year and a day which well can't hurt and well its using the symbols and words and things she was taught.

If magic is that rare in her profession then her arcane school is likely rarer she can always counter critics who know of such things as she was taught by a master of crafting items and who was taught by others going into the past, so her knowledge is unique.
Well, I'd say wizards are uncommon, rather than rare.  And while some of your ritual magic and fetishes (the magical type of fetish, not the sexual type) might have influence, magic is real enough for people to tell the difference between superstition and the real thing.  Turandarok lives in Sandpoint, and is an honest-to-goodness wizard (of undetermined level) and he runs both an orphanage and an 'Academy' - though most of his students don't learn much more than literacy and basic arithmetic. 

yesiroleplay

Triggvi - does your character worship Shelyn?  If not, then you need to scrap Inner Beauty.  Also, you can't take the human(Shoanti) trait Bred for War.

Blinkin

Ok, went back to the standard class. and will post the revised character in a few moments
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on February 27, 2013, 01:34:31 PM
Triggvi - does your character worship Shelyn?  If not, then you need to scrap Inner Beauty.  Also, you can't take the human(Shoanti) trait Bred for War.
Bred for war trait is coming more from his prep work in builting size and strength as a gladiator. If i need to i will find another one that is similiar.

The inner beauty is ment to go with his angelkin heritage as an exemplar of human beauty. Closest i could find.